The Student Room Group

I'm 18, voted Conservative at the general election and I support a hard Brexit. AMA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheFarmerLad
This may be a little honest but people who vote labour are generally stupid

why is that? I completed my politics A level, which is more than many who vote on political issues, and would not consider myself to be stupid. I believe many Conservative voters simply vote for them due to what they are spoon fed through our privately owned and very biased media.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by zayn008
Theresa Bae**

really miss u turn theresa mayhem.... how is she bae... when she has lost tory voters to labour... constantly makes u - turns... lies and doesnt turn up to uk tv election debates.... those really arent BAE qualities
Reply 22
Are you lower class?
Original post by John1999
She was far more qualified and suitable for the job of prime minister than the other party leaders and had previous experience as home secretary to be a good prime minister. I agree that she did make a lot of U-turns and that her campaign could have been much better. As the conservatives received more votes than labour she should not resign as she still won.

she didnt get the mandate she needed to show that ' britain was by her side' when she is going to make this brexit decisions and uk decisions when she reallydidnt get an overwhelming majority
Neither of my parents earn above 30k a year. Conservatives support hard brexit and it is the rich that have the most to lose from a hard brexit.

Right, so you're a turkey who voted for Christmas (imo)
AMA

Are you literally Hitler or literally worse than Hitler? :wink:
Reply 26
Original post by PhilDanthropist
really miss u turn theresa mayhem.... how is she bae... when she has lost tory voters to labour... constantly makes u - turns... lies and doesnt turn up to uk tv election debates.... those really arent BAE qualities

Even though i didnt vote for her i need her to regain a decent reputation so my work experience with her doesnt become an embarrassment rather than an accomplishment.
Original post by missy123456
why is that? I completed my politics A level, which is more than many who vote on political issues, and would not consider myself to be stupid. I believe many Conservative voters simply vote them due to what they are spoon fed through our privately owned and very biased media.

Did you do economics at A Level? If so I don't understand why you'd vote for labour. Hah you gotta be kidding? The media is extremely left wing biased, none more so than the BBC
Neither of my parents earn above 30k a year. Conservatives support hard brexit and it is the rich that have the most to lose from a hard brexit.

How will the rich lose out more than the poor when inflation has gone up and food prices will inevitably go up even further when we leave the single market?
Reply 29
Original post by Benjamino78
Why do you want a hard Brexit? I can appreciate why some people would want to leave the EU but remain part of the Single Market/Customs Union, but why you want to damage our economy by cutting ties with Europe?

And why did you want to leave the EU in the first place? Immigration? Sovereignty? I'm just genuinely curious, and want to try and understand where you're coming from.

Assuming you think we should make trade deals with other countries after Brexit, what makes you think they would offset the damage that leaving the Single Market would do?

And finally, does it trouble you that the person responsible for carrying out Brexit (i.e Theresa May) voted Remain and probably still secretly thinks that the whole thing is a bad idea?

This sounds stupid there is only 2 choices brexit or no brexit and im saying this as a remainer, i don't understand why people don't get that, you really think the EU will give UK a deal after it leaves, think about it if Britain can retain its own currency sh*t on EU (Nigel garb-arge) and leave only to get a deal favorable to them, then whats gonna stop other members leaving, it wouldn't be in their interest considering they share borders with each other compared to the UK.
Reply 30
I also voted for the Conservatives in 2015, 2016 Scottish parliament and this time round. And I voted to leave too.

Without the 13 Scottish MP's, Mrs May would have been absolutely toast.

With brexit, whatever is lost is gained in some other form. It's great news that we are getting out fishing waters back, and that exports are on the up along with tourism with the weaker pound.

People say we are racist or want a little Britain because have 'turned our back' on our closest allies of the European continent. When actually, the same could be said about the remainers, who would favour EU nationals over our old friends from the commonwealth!!

I want to see EU nationals stop taking advantage of free fees in Scotland too - and instead let people in the rest of the UK who have to pay 9K a year have an opportunity to get it for free...
Original post by zayn008
Even though i didnt vote for her i need her to regain a decent reputation so my work experience with her doesnt become an embarrassment rather than an accomplishment.

ahhh yes that would be bad for u...
Original post by zayn008
In this election, i cant argue. If you're including 1987-2015 then i disagree.

I am talking about the last election. Tbh I don't know enough to argue pro Tory during those years 😉
Are you excited to give up your free movement rights in 27 countries, your opportunity to work in 27 countries freely, your European health insurance and your voice in the European Parliament, all for some sovereignty?

Also, how are you going to use your sovereignty?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 34
it is the rich that have the most to lose from a hard brexit.

Really ? How ? Isn't it the less privileged who would lose out more ?
Or are you talking about the businesses, companies and being part of the single market ?
Reply 35
Original post by Blue_Cow
Do you believe in a National Health Service and free 4-18 education? And if so, how could you, as a Conservative, believe in even lower taxes and also at the same time, reduce borrowing AND pay for these public services?

I do believe in a free NHS and 4 - 18 education and lower taxes and reduced borrowing. I believe that the NHS and education receives enough funds already and that some money is wasted in both that could be better used to hire more nurses teachers and better equipment. Also I think that the money saved from leaving the EU should be used to fill any gaps in funding for the NHS and education. I personally believe that the foreign aid budget should be cut and instead transferred to the NHS and education although this is not a government policy.
Reply 36
Original post by usualsuspects
Are you lower class?

I'm working class.
Original post by TheFarmerLad
Did you do economics at A Level? If so I don't understand why you'd vote for labour. Hah you gotta be kidding? The media is extremely left wing biased, none more so than the BBC

The Daily Mail it literally the most read newspaper in the UK, which is extremely right wing. Also don't forget about the Sun's famous win for Labour, when it switched left wing for a single election. The Media clearly has a huge influence and the most popular forms of media are heavily Right Wing. There really are not many Left Wing mainstream news outlets in comparison to the right wing, rupert murdoch owned outlets!
Reply 38
AMA

How would a hard Brexit benefit the UK ?
As opposed to a soft Brexit.
Thanks.
Reply 39
Original post by Vlad83
Really ? How ? Isn't it the less privileged who would lose out more ?
Or are you talking about the businesses, companies and being part of the single market ?

No, the least privileged have the most to gain. Big businesses, banks and the more affluent people who work for them will lose out along with leaving the single market.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending