The Student Room Group

I'm 18, voted Conservative at the general election and I support a hard Brexit. AMA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by John1999
I do believe in a free NHS and 4 - 18 education and lower taxes and reduced borrowing. I believe that the NHS and education receives enough funds already and that some money is wasted in both that could be better used to hire more nurses teachers and better equipment. Also I think that the money saved from leaving the EU should be used to fill any gaps in funding for the NHS and education. I personally believe that the foreign aid budget should be cut and instead transferred to the NHS and education although this is not a government policy.

So you believe that raiding something that makes up 0.7% of GDP and making some "efficiencies" in the NHS and Education will raise enough money to stop the current problems with staff retention and cut taxes at the same time?
Original post by TheFarmerLad
Did you do economics at A Level? If so I don't understand why you'd vote for labour. Hah you gotta be kidding? The media is extremely left wing biased, none more so than the BBC

If you're a farmer then you're part of an industry that's propped up by state subsidies, so hardly in a position to slate left-wing economics.
No, the least privileged have the most to gain. Big businesses, banks and the more affluent people who work for them will lose out along with leaving the single market.

Surely if big businesses lose out then we lose out? Ordinary people work for big businesses too, right?
Surely if banks lose out then we lose out? We depend on their credit facilities to provide loans for SMEs, right?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 43
Original post by Blue_Cow
How will the rich lose out more than the poor when inflation has gone up and food prices will inevitably go up even further when we leave the single market?

Large business and banks are more likely to be negatively effected when we leave the single market. I agree that food prices will go up but this is small compared to how this is going to effect the jobs and businesses of the more affluent. Those who are self-employed or have their own business in a trade will if anything benefit. These people are predominantly working class. Meanwhile the minimum wage continues to rise which will again benefit the less affluent.
Reply 44
No, the least privileged have the most to gain.

But HOW ?..
Thanks for your reponse, by the way.
Large business and banks are more likely to be negatively effected when we leave the single market. I agree that food prices will go up but this is small compared to how this is going to effect the jobs and businesses of the more affluent. Those who are self-employed or have their own business in a trade will if anything benefit. These people are predominantly working class. Meanwhile the minimum wage continues to rise which will again benefit the less affluent.

With food prices set to rise at its highest rate in three years, I'm not so sure it will be "small" for the ordinary, working class people - Especially for those 3 million families living paycheck to paycheck.
Original post by man i
This sounds stupid there is only 2 choices brexit or no brexit and im saying this as a remainer, i don't understand why people don't get that, you really think the EU will give UK a deal after it leaves, think about it if Britain can retain its own currency sh*t on EU (Nigel garb-arge) and leave only to get a deal favorable to them, then whats gonna stop other members leaving, it wouldn't be in their interest considering they share borders with each other compared to the UK.

I don't think it's that simple. We could do what Norway and Switzerland do, leaving the EU but remaining in the Single Market and Customs Union. Even Russia is under the jurisdiction of the European courts, so Brexit really doesn't have to be a completely clean break from the EU. Obviously I think not leaving at all would be better than this option, as if we left the EU but stayed in the Single Market, we'd have to accept EU regulations without being able to have a say in what they are.

I can agree with what you said about a good deal being unlikely, because the EU doesn't want other countries to do the same thing as us, but there has been some indication already from Brussels that this soft Brexit I'm describing would be an option.

To be fair though, I think we should just cancel Brexit altogether.
Reply 47
Original post by Vlad83
How would a hard Brexit benefit the UK ?
As opposed to a soft Brexit.
Thanks.

A soft brexit in which we would remain part of the single market with the associated costs would mean less of the economic benefits that the EU gave us with the same costs. We would not be able to agree our own trade deals with other countries in a soft brexit which is key to making brexit successful in the long run.
Reply 48
So you believe that raiding something that makes up 0.7% of GDP and making some "efficiencies" in the NHS and Education will raise enough money to stop the current problems with staff retention and cut taxes at the same time?

Yes. £13 billion is a lot of money.
Yes. £13 billion is a lot of money.

Despite the fact that the NHS faces a funding black hole of £30bn by 2020?
Reply 50
Surely if big businesses lose out then we lose out? Ordinary people work for big businesses too, right?
Surely if banks lose out then we lose out? We depend on their credit facilities to provide loans for SMEs, right?

Yes that could be true but once we leave the EU we will be able to control immigration and this will mean that we can ensure more jobs for people who live here. Banks are likely to remain in the UK anyhow as London is still an important global centre.
Yes that could be true but once we leave the EU we will be able to control immigration and this will mean that we can ensure more jobs for people who live here. Banks are likely to remain in the UK anyhow as London is still an important global centre.

Employment is at the highest it has ever been - We are near "full employment" currently.
Reply 52
I'm working class.

Was it an act of social revenge?
Reply 53
A soft brexit in which we would remain part of the single market with the associated costs would mean less of the economic benefits that the EU gave us with the same costs. We would not be able to agree our own trade deals with other countries in a soft brexit which is key to making brexit successful in the long run.

Thanks for that.
But wouldn't the benefits of being able to trade in the single market outweigh any associated costs ?
Trade deals with other countries - yes, Ok.
But wouldn't the UK economy lose out from not being part of the big trading block which is the EU single market, and competing in it, trading with a large group of 27 countries as a whole ?
And other effects on the UK such as food prices, the prices of goods in shops ...
Leaving the single market in a hard Brexit scenario, would bring about higher tariffs importing things into the UK, so food prices and prices of goods will go up - and so this wouldn't exactly benefit the ordinary people, right ?..
Reply 54
Despite the fact that the NHS faces a funding black hole of £30bn by 2020?

Other than increased borrowing and higher taxation (that causes a negative multiplier effect where businesses and the rich leave the UK for lower taxes and then less tax revenue..) the only way to fund that black hole is to cut the foreign aid budget, use money that we no longer pay as a member of the EU and make the NHS more efficient. By lowering corporation tax businesses are more likely to invest and produce jobs in the UK and then increased tax revenue ...

Lloyds Banking Group announced that they will be moving to Berlin.
HSBC to Paris
Barclays is going to make their HQ in Dublin (and planning to expand their current ops there)
Standard Charter is looking at Berlin OR Dublin
Goldman Sachs is planning to make Frankfurt their base, moving 1,000 employees with them
J.P. Morgan is planning to move to Dublin moving 4,000 employees with them
Morgan Stanley is planning to move to Dublin OR Frankfurt

However, for the sake of balance, a few US Banks and also Deutsche Bank is planning to stay.
Reply 56
Employment is at the highest it has ever been - We are near "full employment" currently.

Yes that's true but this is only because immigrants are included with this. If we can control immigration as some jobs are lost then there will be sufficient employment for all citizens living here. Plus I believe in encouraging self employment and creating a more entrepreneurial future for the UK. More self employment and small business being set up will increase the numbers of jobs in the UK.
Original post by JamesN88
If you're a farmer then you're part of an industry that's propped up by state subsidies, so hardly in a position to slate left-wing economics.

Well I value our country's economy more than individual industries, unlike half of labours young supporters who only really care about tuition fees
Reply 58

... And back home from the jobs, to attend a food bank.
Brexit - in those social circumstances - and with its effects, may not be a very great project for the country and its people.
Reply 59
Original post by usualsuspects
Was it an act of social revenge?

Not quite though I dislike people with no ambition in life who live on benefits as much as I do elitists. Besides many working class people have similar views. The majority of constituencies which supported leave in the referendum in England were in the south and in affluent areas. In the general election Mansfield elected a conservative MP while Canterbury voted for a labour MP...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending