The Student Room Group

Poor Gcses - But Great A-levels+Scholarship? Cambridge?

Hi,
I'd really like to do medicine, and really getting anywhere would be an achievement on it's own, however I'd really like to know I could perhaps reach Cambridge.

My Gcse's:
3A* 7A 1B (and an A in Additional Maths which is basically the highest grade)

I didn't have any particular extenuating circumstances, and my school wasn't awful. With these grades I know I'll never get into Oxford, however supposing I do really well in all the other aspects of the application process, and considering that (geographically) I am going to be flagged as coming from a low socio-economic area and neighbourhood:

Do I have a chance at Cambridge?

(Also I have an academic scholarship at my private sixth form - will this help?) Thanks.
Original post by zbatool2001
Hi,
I'd really like to do medicine, and really getting anywhere would be an achievement on it's own, however I'd really like to know I could perhaps reach Cambridge.

My Gcse's:

I didn't have any particular extenuating circumstances, and my school wasn't awful. With these grades I know I'll never get into Oxford, however supposing I do really well in all the other aspects of the application process, and considering that (geographically) I am going to be flagged as coming from a low socio-economic area and neighbourhood:

(Also I have an academic scholarship at my private sixth form - will this help?) Thanks.

You have a chance, but now that there's no AS UMS then there's fewer aspects of the application process to do well in. You're going to need to ace the BMAT, I think.
Original post by zbatool2001
Hi,

My Gcse's:

You would certainly be considered. Beyond that it will depend on your predicted grades, teacher reference, BMAT, interview performance etc.
Reply 3
Original post by Forecast
You have a chance, but now that there's no AS UMS then there's fewer aspects of the application process to do well in. You're going to need to ace the BMAT, I think.

Yeah that is true :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending