The Student Room Group

Intention for fasting

Hi there, I just wanted to be 100% sure. Obviously ladies will miss some fasts, hence will keep them after. If you make the intention whilst drinking the water, would your fast still be valid? Because after your intention your not meant to eat/drink but if your drinking whilst saying the intention, does it still count? Thanks
hi, i want to answer the question but i didnt really understand it, so could you please clarify the following for me:

when you say "If you make the intention whilst drinking the water, would your fast still be valid?" do you mean that you'd make up the fast later on so you drank water knowing you'd do so? or are you a girl and menstruating? basically, when you say intention, wdym?

sorry i didnt understand right away, pls help me understand and insha'Allah i'll try my best to answer :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by nineteenone
hi, i want to answer the question but i didnt really understand it, so could you please clarify the following for me:

when you say "If you make the intention whilst drinking the water, would your fast still be valid?" do you mean that you'd make up the fast later on so you drank water knowing you'd do so? or are you a girl and menstruating? basically, when you say intention, wdym?

sorry i didnt understand right away, pls help me understand and insha'Allah i'll try my best to answer :smile:

Never mind it's okay but thank you for trying to help me. The fact you wanted to try and help me means a lot. Thank you
Reply 3
Original post by Withengar
I mock your primitive attempt to appease a nonexistent being with snide derision and a hope you decide not to reproduce.

YOU Are the most ignorant person I've ever met. How dare you say that. If you don't believe in Islam don't try and mock others. You have no right. Keep your opinions to yourself next time. No one wants to hear them
intention of not drinking water whilst drinking water kinda defeats the purpose, if i understood your narrative correctly.
Reply 5
Original post by Api00
Hi there, I just wanted to be 100% sure. Obviously ladies will miss some fasts, hence will keep them after. If you make the intention whilst drinking the water, would your fast still be valid? Because after your intention your not meant to eat/drink but if your drinking whilst saying the intention, does it still count? Thanks

This is a bit confusing to understand.

What do you mean "after your intention your not meant to eat/drink" ? Your intention comes first.

If you're drinking and making the intention before suhoor ends then that's fine.

However if you're drinking after suhoor and making the intention to fast then it doesn't count.

Also please ignore the rude user making offensive posts, he's been reported.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by gr8wizard10
intention of not drinking water whilst drinking water kinda defeats the purpose, if i understood your narrative correctly.

That's what I was worried about, but it is counted. Thank you though
Reply 7
Original post by HAnwar
This is a bit confusing to understand.

What do you mean "after your intention your not meant to eat/drink" ? Your intention comes first.

If you're drinking and making the intention before suhoor ends then that's fine.

However if you're drinking after suhoor and making the intention to fast then it doesn't count.

Also please ignore the rude user making offensive posts, he's been reported.

As in whilst I'm drinking the water, I'm making the intention. But it's fine now. Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

As in whilst I'm drinking the water, I'm making the intention. But it's fine now. Thank you
Reply 8
Original post by Withengar
This a a modern, liberal Western society, not a medieval theocracy. I have EVERY right to express my opinion of Islam and mock and criticize it as much as I please. Your violent religious creed CAN NOT and WILL NOT dictate what I can or can't say or what I can or can't criticize. It is my right, my birthright - freedom of speech, expression and criticism. The freedom to freely and in your face expose your ridiculous charade for what it is.

Go and express your MODERN, LIBERAL, WESTERN opinions elsewhere as this thread isn't about YOUR rights. My genuine worry for my religion has absolutely nothing to do with your fowl opinions therefore this thread isn't here for me to dictate your rights and neither is it me criticising you, it's for me to address my concerns, hence your opinions and ignorance isn't needed or wanted here.
Original post by Api00
Never mind it's okay but thank you for trying to help me. The fact you wanted to try and help me means a lot. Thank you

you're welcome :smile:
why would u make the intention whilst your drinking water?
Reply 11
Original post by sulaimanali
why would u make the intention whilst your drinking water?

Because these fasts are for my broken fasts hence there is no set dua for the intention hence I thought if I do the intention whilst drinking the water it's like I've done the intention whilst drinking the last cup of water
Original post by Api00
Because these fasts are for my broken fasts hence there is no set dua for the intention hence I thought if I do the intention whilst drinking the water it's like I've done the intention whilst drinking the last cup of water

yeah so basically its the same as when your doing a normal fast like in Ramadan. So do your Sahoor and make your intention like usual but say as your intention its for your "missed fasts in Ramadan " instead of saying the intention of fasting in Ramadan. Hope that helps :smile: x
yeah...as ^ said + make sure u do intention after drinking water..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending