The Student Room Group

A-level respected options?

Hey :smile:

So starting sept 2017, i'm taking psychology, sociology, english language and pre-u global perspectives because my school makes you choose from a list of extra options.

Are there many people taking fourth options or is it mainly three now? And more importantly, do i need a facilitating subject?

So if i change language to lang/lit is that a facilitating subject? And is global perspectives respected?

Going into journalism/psychology/an english route if that helps. Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Subject choice does not matter in the slightest.
Its good to have atleast 2 facilitating subjects not just because they are respected but because they also give you more options for degrees.

Englishlanglit is not facilitating while English Literature is.

I did 4 AS levels as our school made us do that and entered us for the exams.

In my opinion I think you should consider the facilitating subjects :smile:. Are there any that interest you?

Also as far as i know for journalism you dont need a journalism degree with history or politics or economics etc.. you can go into journalism.

Bte i did combined Englishlanglit so feel free to ask me any questions about that subject if you want
(edited 6 years ago)
Just do whatever the f you wanna do!!!
The Russell Group have always said that you should pick two facilitating subjects and the third one can be whatever you like.

Up to you if you want to follow that advice, your choice after all.

https://www.russellgroup.ac.uk/media/5272/informedchoices-print.pdf
is "pre-u global perspectives respected?"

if it's what I think it is, a general studies/critical thinking kind of subject, probably not. Chances are it won't be ignored on your uni application but it probs won't form part of any offer, I think.

in terms of facilitating subjects, it could be that yes, you need one for a uni application. they do look good and present you as academic, but, I've always maintained that you shouldn't do them for the sake of it.
Getting an A in a non-facilitating subject is better than getting an E in a facilitating subject.

If you think you can do well in them (fac subjects) with hard work etc then it's better to go for them imo since it can open a range of doors/possibilities at uni.

EDIT; I did 4 proper AS subjects + general studies,although I started in 2015 when the reform had only just begun. I know that at my 6th form from the year after (2016 September) you could only do 3 AS subjects, which leaves no room to drop one for yr13, so if this is the case for you, think very carefully about what you want.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by zoe.biscuit

So starting sept 2017, i'm taking psychology, sociology, english language and pre-u global perspectives because my school makes you choose from a list of extra options.

Are there many people taking fourth options or is it mainly three now? And more importantly, do i need a facilitating subject?

So if i change language to lang/lit is that a facilitating subject? And is global perspectives respected?

I have no idea what pre-u global perspectives is but I would advise you change it for Maths since some Cambridge colleges require Maths for Psychology and English Language for English Literature.

Global perspectives is respected and ive applied to 5 russel group unis who all apart from liverpool included it in my offer! The subject is very boring tho i must warn you, we got forced to do it as its compulsory in my school.

Posted from TSR Mobile
They do not matter as long as you do well in them. Russel group says facilitating subjects are a good idea but then at the end of the day they'll probably take you anyway, so long as you've got solid predicted grades. If you get too tied up in the facilitating subjects stuff you might just end up doing stuff you really hate, and that'll not pay off at all come results day.

As for the 4 or 3 question, I did 4 first year then dropped one (excluding general studies 'cause that really isn't an A level tbh, despite what it says). Is that a thing you can still do? It worked fine for me personally

Original post by hamzakalinle

if it's what I think it is, a general studies/critical thinking kind of subject, probably not. Chances are it won't be ignored on your uni application but it probs won't form part of any offer, I think.

I did a google on em and got this:

http://www.cie.org.uk/programmes-and-qualifications/cambridge-pre-u-global-perspectives-and-research-9777/

I am bamboozled.
Reply 9
There's talk of facilitating subjects, yes.
But at the end of the day, only 1 of my 3 subjects was viewed as 'facilitating' - totally irrelevant to my course.
I received offers from 5 Russell Group universities!
Original post by Retired_Messiah
They do not matter as long as you do well in them. Russel group says facilitating subjects are a good idea but then at the end of the day they'll probably take you anyway, so long as you've got solid predicted grades. If you get too tied up in the facilitating subjects stuff you might just end up doing stuff you really hate, and that'll not pay off at all come results day.

As for the 4 or 3 question, I did 4 first year then dropped one (excluding general studies 'cause that really isn't an A level tbh, despite what it says). Is that a thing you can still do? It worked fine for me personally

http://www.cie.org.uk/programmes-and-qualifications/cambridge-pre-u-global-perspectives-and-research-9777/

I am bamboozled.

jesus christ that was the most vague spec I've ever read

kinda does resemble the paper 1 of general studies though, the one where you had to write essays and analyse texts and that.
Original post by SuperHuman98
Its good to have atleast 2 facilitating subjects not just because they are respected but because they also give you more options for degrees.

Englishlanglit is not facilitating while English Literature is.

I did 4 AS levels as our school made us do that and entered us for the exams.

In my opinion I think you should consider the facilitating subjects :smile:. Are there any that interest you?

Also as far as i know for journalism you dont need a journalism degree with history or politics or economics etc.. you can go into journalism.

Bte i did combined Englishlanglit so feel free to ask me any questions about that subject if you want

Ooh okay, i kind of know the pathway i want to take and enjoy history, i just don't think it'll be as useful as sociology/psychology in that aspect so i don't want to sacrifice sociology :/

Did you enjoy lit/lang? Was it as hard as lang or lit alone?
Original post by Retired_Messiah

I am bamboozled.

I've checked the russell group website and it's different and way more respected, but kinda seems a little easier? I think unis like to see it on applications unlike general studies

in terms of facilitating subjects, it could be that yes, you need one for a uni application. they do look good and present you as academic, but, I've always maintained that you shouldn't do them for the sake of it.
Getting an A in a non-facilitating subject is better than getting an E in a facilitating subject.

If you think you can do well in them (fac subjects) with hard work etc then it's better to go for them imo since it can open a range of doors/possibilities at uni.

EDIT; I did 4 proper AS subjects + general studies,although I started in 2015 when the reform had only just begun. I know that at my 6th form from the year after (2016 September) you could only do 3 AS subjects, which leaves no room to drop one for yr13, so if this is the case for you, think very carefully about what you want.

Yep! Most people i know are talking 3 bc new reforms but we have to take 3 + either global perspectives, core maths, further maths, gov & politics, physics, or chinese mandarin - all facilitating?
Original post by Blue_Cow
The Russell Group have always said that you should pick two facilitating subjects and the third one can be whatever you like.

No they don't say that at all. Have you READ the document you linked to?

"You don’t necessarily need to have studied three facilitating subjects at A-level. Some courses require one or two facilitating subjects, whilst for other courses there are no specific subject requirements. If you don’t know what you want to study then it’s a really good rule of thumb that taking two facilitating subjects will keep a wide range of degree courses open to you. "

That's nothing like saying you SHOULD take 2 facilitating subjects, it's saying if you're not sure and want to keep your options open then taking 2 isn't a bad idea. There's students every year who take 3 facilitating subjects and then realise they aren't the right subjects for the degree they want to study.

English
ESSENTIAL ADVANCED LEVEL QUALIFICATIONS English Literature or combined English Language & Literature (some courses will accept English Language).
USEFUL ADVANCED LEVEL QUALIFICATIONS History, Religious Studies, a foreign language.

Media Studies (including Communication Studies) <=the nearest the russell group get to journalism
ESSENTIAL ADVANCED LEVEL QUALIFICATIONS A few courses ask for English or Media Studies.
USEFUL ADVANCED LEVEL QUALIFICATIONS English, Media Studies, Sociology, Psychology.

Psychology
ESSENTIAL ADVANCED LEVEL QUALIFICATIONS A few courses ask for one from Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics. (psychology includes a fair amount of statistics)
USEFUL ADVANCED LEVEL QUALIFICATIONS Biology, Mathematics, Psychology, Sociology, Computing/ Computer Science.
Ooh okay, i kind of know the pathway i want to take and enjoy history, i just don't think it'll be as useful as sociology/psychology in that aspect so i don't want to sacrifice sociology :/

Did you enjoy lit/lang? Was it as hard as lang or lit alone?

I think English Lit alone is supposed to be harder than langlit?

Anyways English is not my favourite :tongue:, I like it least but towards the end of the course the lit part started to grow on me as I really liked the texts (Othello and Gatsby). If you like creative writing I would recommend englishlanglit as on edexcel you have the transformation part of the exam and the A2 coursework is mostly creative writing.
Yep! Most people i know are talking 3 bc new reforms but we have to take 3 + either global perspectives, core maths, further maths, gov & politics, physics, or chinese mandarin - all facilitating?

"Modern and Classical languages" are categorised as facilitating so I assume that would include Chinese mandarin.

Physics is definitely a facilitating subjects I'm pretty sure though for further maths you need normal Maths and an A* in GCSE maths, that's what my college wanted anyway, but yes further maths is facilitating.

Core maths I don't think is, it's a "level 3 qualification" which I suppose is good, shows numerical skills, but I'm pretty sure it's different to A Level Maths, so isn't facilitating. Unless it's just another name for A Level maths, which in that case, it would be a fac subject.

Gov and Politics isn't, but, it is an actual A Level unlike global perspectives/core maths and I think it goes well with your subject choices.

so, bascally, if your fac subject is going to come from this list, unless I'm wrong (i dont think I am) your choice is between chinese mandarin/further maths/physics
Original post by Blue_Cow

What if you're doing 4 a-level subjects?
Core maths I don't think is, it's a "level 3 qualification" which I suppose is good, shows numerical skills, but I'm pretty sure it's different to A Level Maths, so isn't facilitating. Unless it's just another name for A Level maths, which in that case, it would be a fac subject.

Gov and Politics isn't, but, it is an actual A Level unlike global perspectives/core maths and I think it goes well with your subject choices.

so, bascally, if your fac subject is going to come from this list, unless I'm wrong (i dont think I am) your choice is between chinese mandarin/further maths/physics

Pre-U core maths is equivalent or harder than A level maths. Pre-U is prefered by independent schools because they consider them more difficult.
Original post by PQ
Pre-U core maths is equivalent or harder than A level maths. Pre-U is prefered by independent schools because they consider them more difficult.

she didn't say Pre-U though, she only said "Core"

So I looked it up and the only thing I found was a level 3 AQA qualification that's meant to compliment subjects like psychology (paraphrased)

Pre-U Core and Core are different I'm certain of it.

Quick Reply

Latest