The Student Room Group

Depressed about university

I changed my mind so mych regarding courses and kept switching. Now I am left studying biology at a university (CCCU) that I really do not want to study at. I have entry requirements from an access course (42 distinctions and 3 merits) that the univeristy of kent would have accepted but unfortunately it was the wrong access course and there are no places at other unis in my area. I am not looking forward to studying at CCCU but I do not want to spend a year doing nothing. I really do not know what to do but feel like a failure and cannot stop crying.
Original post by crazycatlady1991
I changed my mind so mych regarding courses and kept switching. Now I am left studying biology at a university (CCCU) that I really do not want to study at. I have entry requirements from an access course (42 distinctions and 3 merits) that the univeristy of kent would have accepted but unfortunately it was the wrong access course and there are no places at other unis in my area. I am not looking forward to studying at CCCU but I do not want to spend a year doing nothing. I really do not know what to do but feel like a failure and cannot stop crying.

Well you're not a failure. Think of how many people would love to be in your shoes.

What exactly is it that makes you not want to study at CCCU?
Original post by Friffinghell
Well you're not a failure. Think of how many people would love to be in your shoes.

What exactly is it that makes you not want to study at CCCU?

Thankyou. This is going to sound real stupid but I guess I'm worrying too much about what others think- so many people are snobby about it and say that it's a rubbish uni and etc I know I shouldn't care about what others think but it makes me feel so inferior
Reply 3

I am not being horrible, but are you sure university, particularly biology, is for you? I am not trying to bring you down at all but university isn't the only option.
Original post by Moura
I am not being horrible, but are you sure university, particularly biology, is for you? I am not trying to bring you down at all but university isn't the only option.

I honestly do not know what my other options are :frown:
Reply 5
I honestly do not know what my other options are :frown:

what grades did you get and what did you do for a-level/btec?

https://www.allaboutcareers.com/careers-advice/apprenticeships/types-of-apprenticeship

this is a broad summary of types of apprenticeships your can do. there are many more that can be much more specific.

go on job websites like indeed or reed and just do a nationwide search for "trainee" or "apprentice" just to see what sort of careers that are out there. then do the same in your area to see what is on offer closer to home.

it annoys me that your situation is a prime example of schools failing their pupils and pushing a "university or you're a failure" attitude so that people have no idea what else they could do other than go to uni... then they end up feeling like you are!

you are not a failure for anything that has happened to you! you won't be a failure if you don't go to uni! you won't be a failure if you go to CCCU... unless it's not what you really want to do.
the only way you can fail yourself is if you do something that you don't want to do... because you will not be happy.
(edited 6 years ago)

Can you not find a better university via adjustment?

Why does the University have to be in your area? Are you not able to look further afield?

When I first began my access course I had a particular plan which included going to a local university but once I started researching ranks and entry requirements I realised I was going to need to set my sights farther afield unless I wanted to go somewhere that felt like settling.

If Kent is a no go for you because of the subject and you genuinely can't look further away maybe due to personal circumstances then there is no sense dwelling on what can't be. You did great on your access course, you're still getting into a university which puts you above about 80% of the rest of the country. Yes, it's a shame you can't capitalise on your access grades but if your circumstances are inflexible then make the most of it.

University rank is undoubtedly important, but it's not important enough to the point it's worth feeling like failing over. Work to get the best degree classification you can which from your access results I see no reason couldn't be a first, and then enjoy the opportunity that opens for you once you graduate. I've friends who studied at Bolton with great careers in their subjects and friends who studied at The University of Manchester sat in call centres. Your degree is what you make of it.
Original post by Moura

https://www.allaboutcareers.com/careers-advice/apprenticeships/types-of-apprenticeship

this is a broad summary of types of apprenticeships your can do. there are many more that can be much more specific.

go on job websites like indeed or reed and just do a nationwide search for "trainee" or "apprentice" just to see what sort of careers that are out there. then do the same in your area to see what is on offer closer to home.

Thankyou. I completed an Access to Higher Education diploma in Biology and obtained 42 credits at distinction but unfortunately it lacked the chemistry modules that Kent required. I wish I'd completed A - levels instead but at my age (26) I wanted to hurry things because I feel as though time is ticking.
Original post by Moura

it annoys me that your situation is a prime example of schools failing their pupils and pushing a "university or you're a failure" attitude so that people have no idea what else they could do other than go to uni... then they end up feeling like you are!

you are not a failure for anything that has happened to you! you won't be a failure if you don't go to uni! you won't be a failure if you go to CCCU... unless it's not what you really want to do.
the only way you can fail yourself is if you do something that you don't want to do... because you will not be happy.

Thankyou :frown: bless you
Original post by BigYoSpeck
Can you not find a better university via adjustment?

Why does the University have to be in your area? Are you not able to look further afield?

When I first began my access course I had a particular plan which included going to a local university but once I started researching ranks and entry requirements I realised I was going to need to set my sights farther afield unless I wanted to go somewhere that felt like settling.

If Kent is a no go for you because of the subject and you genuinely can't look further away maybe due to personal circumstances then there is no sense dwelling on what can't be. You did great on your access course, you're still getting into a university which puts you above about 80% of the rest of the country. Yes, it's a shame you can't capitalise on your access grades but if your circumstances are inflexible then make the most of it.

University rank is undoubtedly important, but it's not important enough to the point it's worth feeling like failing over. Work to get the best degree classification you can which from your access results I see no reason couldn't be a first, and then enjoy the opportunity that opens for you once you graduate. I've friends who studied at Bolton with great careers in their subjects and friends who studied at The University of Manchester sat in call centres. Your degree is what you make of it.

Thankyou, you're right I've noticed that many who go to lower ranked universities still do well too. It is a shame that Kent could not take me it would have been ideal I feel gutted because I was offered a place at Southampton but could not take it due to not being able to relocate. I have children and would feel awful leaving them with my mother or their dad.
Thankyou, you're right I've noticed that many who go to lower ranked universities still do well too. It is a shame that Kent could not take me it would have been ideal I feel gutted because I was offered a place at Southampton but could not take it due to not being able to relocate. I have children and would feel awful leaving them with my mother or their dad.

Yeah relocating with children is obviously something that would cause practicality issues. If you couldn't relocate as a family then it just wouldn't be practical to do so alone, that would impact your studies far more than a few ranking positions on a league table.

Just make the most of what opportunity you have, no sense seeing things that are beyond your control as being a sign of failure, you made it into the best university you could in your situation.

You can more than make up for a universities ranking by taking the opportunity in the summers to get some internships.
Yeah relocating with children is obviously something that would cause practicality issues. If you couldn't relocate as a family then it just wouldn't be practical to do so alone, that would impact your studies far more than a few ranking positions on a league table.

Just make the most of what opportunity you have, no sense seeing things that are beyond your control as being a sign of failure, you made it into the best university you could in your situation.

You can more than make up for a universities ranking by taking the opportunity in the summers to get some internships.

Very true, at the beginning when I applied for Southampton, I thought about relocating but when it came to accepting firm choices it all became real and I hadn't sorted out accommodation or anything so it was a pipe dream.
That is a good idea I hadn't thought about internships before. I know I'm thinking ahead but wondered if it's possible to do postgraduate degrees at other unis after this one?
Very true, at the beginning when I applied for Southampton, I thought about relocating but when it came to accepting firm choices it all became real and I hadn't sorted out accommodation or anything so it was a pipe dream.
That is a good idea I hadn't thought about internships before. I know I'm thinking ahead but wondered if it's possible to do postgraduate degrees at other unis after this one?

Yeah, you can do the post grad anywhere that you meet the entry requirements for. Typically 2:1 or above.
Yeah, you can do the post grad anywhere that you meet the entry requirements for. Typically 2:1 or above.

Aw thankyou, hopefully I can do it
Thankyou. This is going to sound real stupid but I guess I'm worrying too much about what others think- so many people are snobby about it and say that it's a rubbish uni and etc I know I shouldn't care about what others think but it makes me feel so inferior

Well, you're old enough to know that people don't always want what is best for you. It sounds like a perfectly acceptable/great option that you have worked hard to get to.

If you feel like you've missed out on Kent- what is another year's study? Life is short. I'd rather be happy, fulfilled and doing what I want to be doing rather than having to waste time on something that I don't want (including people that I don't want to be around!)

Really weigh up your choices. Are you confused because of your own wants or because of someone elses? If it's about anyone else then really question your behaviour as this could be the start of a great new chapter for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending