I think we need to stop these puns otherwise the OP will act sour
Reply 24
Original post by SuperHuman98
I think we need to stop these puns otherwise the OP will act sour

I doubt she's going to be a sour grapes about it

Spoiler

Reply 25
Original post by AnIndianGuy
Because a 5 year old girl can afford to pay a £150 fine.

She was with her father so I'm sure they gave the fine notice to him :smile:

Still completely stupid to fine the Dad for a lemonade stand run by his daughter. But the headline makes it sound worse than it probably was.
5 years old girl: Yay! I am selling lemonade like I saw my favourite people in cartoons do!
Police: You are getting fined even though you clearly cannot afford the fine, young lady!
5 years old girl: You mean cartoons aren't real?

:facepalm:
Original post by Hungry Seagull
Sensationalised slightly. They fined the father. The council has since apologised and withdrawn the fine. This was the act of a single person.

In the article it says four enforcement officers approached the child and parents. Lol.
One the one hand - 5 year old girl. But on the other hand, isn't it illegal to set up a street stall without the necessary paperwork? You or I would have to jump through those hoops. Why is it any different for a 5 year-old and her parents? Incidentally, I like it how the article says she just wanted to put a smile on people's face. If that is the case, why not offer the lemonade for free?
An earlier version of the story said the father is a professor/lecturer at a uni. Summer jobs required for those as well as students.

Maybe this guy

https://www.theguardian.com/profile/andre-spicer

knows how to use the media
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by ParentalAdvisory
An earlier version of the story said the father is a professor/lecturer at a uni. Summer jobs required for those as well as students.

Maybe this guy

Ironic that his best seller is 'The Stupidity Paradox'. Seems like there's a bit of paradoxical stupidity to this complaint of his.

Someone as bright as him should realise that you can't just set up a food or drink stall in the street now, not even if you're an upper middle class parent posturing in public about how perfect your family are and how sweet your lemonade.
Overbearing left wing state trying to crush enterprise? How predictable.
The cops have better things to do. They should go stop violent crime rather than picking on harmless kids.
Reply 33
People might have to use common sense :shock:
“Be ye ever so high, still the Law is above Thee.”

- Thomas Fuller.

:tongue:
England and their bs rules girl jus tryna hustle

Posted from TSR Mobile
Amazing. This level of stupidity is truly amazing.

The ones involved should be stripped of their jobs in my opinion. And the rest of the police force should be put through a 'common sense' test - I'm sure there'd be a few failures if 4 of them thought this was fine
Reply 37
Original post by ParentalAdvisory

Maybe this guy

Yep confirmed
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/fiveyearold-girl-bursts-into-tears-as-council-officers-shut-down-her-lemonade-stand-a3592551.html

So it's not the girl's fault, it's his.

At first I though it was directly outside their home but they travelled to set it up - therefore he really should have had the common sense to check the regulations.

Yes the council officers were rather officious about it - but they are probably on a performance-related bonus.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 38
Original post by ThomH97
The cops have better things to do. They should go stop violent crime rather than picking on harmless kids.

Cops?
A child of 5 is below the age of criminal responsibility.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending