The Student Room Group

what makes a good eassy?

for you what makes the essay ''THE'' essay

i need some help on how to write a good essay which will help my marks, i think the reason i do not do that well is because i do not write a ''per say ''good'' essay which the examiner will continue reading and enjoy

marks on essays and letters are important as much as grammar goes

i need some tips on how to improve my writing skills on essays
any help will be appreciated

thanks
Look at the essay question and what it is asking from you.

1. Intro - a little bit of background to put the question into context and introduce what the main view of your essay will be.

2. In the main body, you want to mention your points. One or two points per paragraph, expanding on your thoughts and thoughts of others to explain your argument. Make sure that the points flow. Don't waffle too much but be sure to provide a clear explanation for each one. If possible, bring in opposing points of view and you argue against them too.

3. Conclusion - perhaps highlight the main point/points and summarise your views. Suggest potential areas that the essay could link to?
Original post by theab145
for you what makes the essay ''THE'' essay

i need some help on how to write a good essay which will help my marks, i think the reason i do not do that well is because i do not write a ''per say ''good'' essay which the examiner will continue reading and enjoy

marks on essays and letters are important as much as grammar goes

i need some tips on how to improve my writing skills on essays
any help will be appreciated

thanks

Based on what I've been taught, learned, adapted and achieved relative success with, this would be my advice.

- Firstly, an introduction which both references a particular question and gives some context and subtle information about your essay, sets you off to a good start.
- Depending on what the essay is based on, what qualification (if any) and any particular criteria, ensure you meat all criteria wherever possible, but don't go overboard, don't include information that is already common knowledge/sense, and be efficient. Despite this, ensure you cover all bases. Give your own views or external information where appropriate also.
- Finish off with a conclusion which summarises your essay and views. gives an answer if possible, or simply opens up further debate for the reader of the essay.

Overall though, write how you're most comfortable, and the quality will follow naturally, else it can feel a bit artificial. Apart from that, ensure that you cover the basics of avoiding plagiarism by referencing where possible or needed, ensure the essay is presented in a neat and clean manner, and is above all relevant. Apart from that, it doesn't matter what style you choose, as long as you're confident with your writing!
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending