The Student Room Group

UKCAT discussion 2018 entry HELP!!

i am going to do the UKCAT in august and i am really struggling with how to get an average of over 650 in each section. i have done loads of practice, but i keep getting an average of below 500. any tips?
Original post by leeeesh
i am going to do the UKCAT in august and i am really struggling with how to get an average of over 650 in each section. i have done loads of practice, but i keep getting an average of below 500. any tips?

Don't worry too much about getting low scores on mock tests, it's relatively normal. Have you learnt all the techniques/'cheats' from books? Other than that, just keep practising using medify and from other question banks. Good luck!
Original post by games211
Don't worry too much about getting low scores on mock tests, it's relatively normal. Have you learnt all the techniques/'cheats' from books? Other than that, just keep practising using medify and from other question banks. Good luck!

i only know a few for AR but not the other sections. do you have any you could share with me? thankyou :smile:
Original post by leeeesh
i only know a few for AR but not the other sections. do you have any you could share with me? thankyou :smile:

It's been a couple of years since I took the exam, so unfortunately, I can't. Sorry :frown: I recommend you having a browse on TSR UKCAT forums, and perhaps getting a study buddy?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by games211
It's been a couple of years since I took the exam, so unfortunately, I can't. Sorry :frown: I recommend you having a browse on TSR UCKAT forums, and perhaps getting a study buddy?

okay thanks!
Original post by leeeesh

Hi there!

Don't panic!

The best thing to do is to keep up the practice - this will help to improve your scores as you become more familiar with the test. Make sure that when you practice you also check the answer explanations for the questions you got wrong so you can improve! Our UKCAT Question Bank is 100% free, and has thousands of questions plus detailed answer explanations!

You can also try reading our section-specific tips which might help if you're particularly struggling with certain sections:

- UKCAT Decision Making Tips
- UKCAT Situational Judgement Tips
- UKCAT Verbal Reasoning Tips
- UKCAT Abstract Reasoning Tips
- UKCAT Quantitative Reasoning Tips

Hope this helps! :smile:
The Medic Portal
Original post by The Medic Portal
Hi there!

Don't panic!

The best thing to do is to keep up the practice - this will help to improve your scores as you become more familiar with the test. Make sure that when you practice you also check the answer explanations for the questions you got wrong so you can improve! Our UKCAT Question Bank is 100% free, and has thousands of questions plus detailed answer explanations!

You can also try reading our section-specific tips which might help if you're particularly struggling with certain sections:

The Medic Portal

Thankyou very much! :smile:
Original post by The Medic Portal
Hi there!

Don't panic!

The Medic Portal

Hi and thanks for all the help on TSR So far I did Kaplan mocks X 5 and scored : 640,650, 670,705 and 640. all average scores by the wayI also did one medify mock so far and scored 736 average, whilst my 2 x official UKcat mocks percentages were as follows; VR 70% then 66%, DM 78% then 62%, QR 68% then 67% and finally AR 52% then 53%.My test is on the 15th August and I am very scared as by the looks of things I wont score high enough for Medicine.Can someone help me work out an actual score from my percentages please? Is it possible to predict an outcome from the results obtained so far?Any help/advise would be very much appreciated and good luck to all
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Hopeiseverything
Hi everyone and thanks for all the help on TSR So far I did Kaplan mocks X 5 and scored : 640,650, 670,705 and 640. all average scores by the wayI also did one medify mock so far and scored 736 average, whilst my 2 x official UKcat mocks percentages were as follows; VR 70% then 66%, DM 78% then 62%, QR 68% then 67% and finally AR 52% then 53%.My test is on the 15th August and I am very scared as by the looks of things I wont score high enough for Medicine.Can someone help me work out an actual score from my percentages please? Is it possible to predict an outcome from the results obtained so far?Any help/advise would be very much appreciated and good luck to all

Hello! I did the UKCAT last year. I did all of the medify questions and averaged at best maybe 65% correct, and on the mocks i got maybe 630, 630 MAX as an average.

On the day the quantitative was the easiest section as it should be, and because i made sure i didnt panic, i just did the exam and stopped fussing. Scored 730 average with 890 on quantitative so trust me, things will work out. The key is not to panic. You should be very happy with medify mock scores like that.
Thanks for the encouragement, I really appreciate your inputAre you at med school already ?
My advice, as someone who sat 3 times....

1) Accept that with the time pressures, you might not answer all the questions on some sections. Its better to miss 1 or 2 at the end, and use that time getting more questions from the start right. I did this on QR one year, still got like 800

2) Learn the basic techniques for each section. For example:
-With QR, theres the same set of basic calculations....working with percentages, timings etc so get familiar with those kinds in practice
-Decision analysis is all about absolute precision. The key mistakes i found i made were that when I wrote out the code, whenever i chose the wrong sentence it was because the one i chose was missing a word from the code, or the code had an extra word i didnt take into account. BE VERY PRECISE and you should be fine.
-AR is just....well, AR. I did start getting a lot better at spotting the patterns in the end....i'd try and spot the pattern on the first one from the section of 5, then you can answer the actual questions in seconds.

3) Understand WHY your errors are errors. Check the descriptions in the answer sections of the book/webpage you are using....you never know, something similar may pop up and this could save you valuable points!
UKCAT Tips

1. Work on theory first. Understand each question type, and focus on your step by step approach. For example, in VR you want to use the Keyword Approach as opposed to reading the whole passage.

2. Do lots of practice. Use the official questions and other question resources.

3. Work on timing. The exam is all about timing, so work on doing quick, timed practices.

4. Adapt to conditions. You have a stuffy room, and old fashioned computer, people around you, the UKCAT on screen calculator, a 2 hour sitting. Get used to this scenario by going to the library and doing a mock.

I'd really recommend our 100% Free Youtube Tutorials, they should help www.youtube.co.uk/medicmind

Good luck!

Kunal D
UKCAT Teacher
www.youtube.co.uk/medicmind

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending