The Student Room Group

In a PS, should you make it obvious if you're applying for more than 1 subject?

As above. Am currently writing my statement applying for a mixture of:

- Biomedical Science (Anatomy) for 2 places
- Medical Science for 2 places
- Biomedical Engineering for 1 place.

Considering the uniting factor in all of these is the theme of "technology", I keep being tempted to talk about Biomedical Engineering. Of course, that might not be a super great idea when my other 4 choices are BMS related.

For example, would "this is an important part of both Biomedical Science and Engineering" be a bad thing to write? (this isn't in my actual current statement, don't worry mods!)

Thanks in advance,
A person that's forgotten how to write PSes despite having done tens of them before c:
Original post by SunlethSky
As above. Am currently writing my statement applying for a mixture of:

- Biomedical Science (Anatomy) for 2 places
- Medical Science for 2 places
- Biomedical Engineering for 1 place.

Considering the uniting factor in all of these is the theme of "technology", I keep being tempted to talk about Biomedical Engineering. Of course, that might not be a super great idea when my other 4 choices are BMS related.

For example, would "this is an important part of both Biomedical Science and Engineering" be a bad thing to write? (this isn't in my actual current statement, don't worry mods!)

Thanks in advance,
A person that's forgotten how to write PSes despite having done tens of them before c:

I think you risk wasting your character count on redundant information more than it would be a problem or advantage discussing both topics. You only have 4000 characters, find a way of describing the field that only uses one phrase to keep your character count available for more relevant information.
Original post by BigYoSpeck
I think you risk wasting your character count on redundant information more than it would be a problem or advantage discussing both topics. You only have 4000 characters, find a way of describing the field that only uses one phrase to keep your character count available for more relevant information.

Valid point, thank you. I think what I'm trying to say is if it's actually okay to talk about both BMS and BME in the same statement considering my primary interest in both is the same (i.e. what the body does for itself in BMS, what humans do to intervene in BME).
I think that you don't have to go into great detail given that you have a word limit. Also, it can imply that you aren't focussed on a certain subject. You want your personal statement to be clear and to the point, and emphasise your good qualities and activities you have done. Rather than mentioning "this is important to Biomedical Science and Engineering" could you get away with say "this is important to the course/subject"?
Original post by SunlethSky
Valid point, thank you. I think what I'm trying to say is if it's actually okay to talk about both BMS and BME in the same statement considering my primary interest in both is the same (i.e. what the body does for itself in BMS, what humans do to intervene in BME).

I would think they're similar enough fields that you can cover them with broad terms.

I applied for Computer Science, hypothetically though my PS would have also worked for a Software Engineering degree. The difference between those fields would be that computer science is more hypothetical and software engineering is more applied.

I don't know much about the field you're applying to but would that be a reasonable analogy to make?
Original post by cheesecakelove
I think that you don't have to go into great detail given that you have a word limit. Also, it can imply that you aren't focussed on a certain subject. You want your personal statement to be clear and to the point, and emphasise your good qualities and activities you have done. Rather than mentioning "this is important to Biomedical Science and Engineering" could you get away with say "this is important to the course/subject"?

That was definitely my concern, but okay I think I see what I need to do now. Thank you! :yep:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending