The Student Room Group

IB summer

Hi guys so it's now summer and i just finished my first year of IB- I'm a female 17 y/o studying in a U.K. boarding school :smile:
So regarding work this summer, how much do you reccomend I work? I want the first term next year to be as easy-going as possible and I want to minimise stress and all. Cheerrsss x
I would work on/finish most of your IAs and have a draft on the EE done by the start of school. This was highly recommended for my school, and so I finished my first drafts of my history, biology, and physics IAs as well as my EE by the start of school. I would say maybe wait on your math IA until christmas break so that you have more material to work with. At least have an idea by then and then work on it during that break. This makes for a jam-packed summer, but it will be immensely helpful for your second year as you can focus your energy on mock exams and applying for unis.
Original post by quinnthequail
I would work on/finish most of your IAs and have a draft on the EE done by the start of school. This was highly recommended for my school, and so I finished my first drafts of my history, biology, and physics IAs as well as my EE by the start of school. I would say maybe wait on your math IA until christmas break so that you have more material to work with. At least have an idea by then and then work on it during that break. This makes for a jam-packed summer, but it will be immensely helpful for your second year as you can focus your energy on mock exams and applying for unis.

thanks so much!!
EE for sure - don't do what I did and leave all the work till the start of term lol (writing ~6000 words in about 2 and a half weeks is not an ideal situation :tongue: ). You should also finish up IAs as mentioned - particularly (if it's still part of the syllabus) world lit essays, as "polishing" these can take longer than you may expect. There's nothing specific you need to do other than completing any work begun in the previous year (including EE), other than CAS stuff (is that even still part of it? I'm so old T_T )
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
I'm in the same position- just trying to do my EE now (although not progressing much!) I think my teachers said to try and get as many IA's done as possible, plus writing up CAS reflections etc. might be helpful? :smile:
Original post by 1ucy26
I'm in the same position- just trying to do my EE now (although not progressing much!) I think my teachers said to try and get as many IA's done as possible, plus writing up CAS reflections etc. might be helpful? :smile:

Honestly for the EE, plan it well based on the IB rubric and finish all the research... The writing part should only take a couple of hours. Then just revise it.

Try and finish as many IAs as possible, don't be like me where most of mine where done in February/March when I should be revising (My school was bad at advising us on IB so our teachers were late in teaching us about IAs and such.)

CAS reflections should be written after each event you did. No more than one or two paragraphs is fine with a statement stating why you think your activity is creative/action/service or a combination of the three. Saves a lot of time when you need to give it in at the end :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Definitely first draft of EE. Keep up your language learning as well, as this is a subject that people often let trickle away and then by September have forgotten all about.
Reply 7
A lot depends what unis you are applying to and what your deadlines are gonna be like this autumn. For example, should you have an early UCAS deadline mid-October and admission tests coming up early November, I would highly recommend leaving up to 2 IAs for DP2 year with your CAS Project, EE and other IAs first drafts completed. Similarly if you're applying to the US you will need to manage your IB against all the essays and final SATs attempts.

Original post by CactusMaya
Definitely first draft of EE. Keep up your language learning as well, as this is a subject that people often let trickle away and then by September have forgotten all about.

Language may actually be a problem, especially if you're not fluent in your B course. I would insist on finilising oral exams and written assignment in DP1 if you feel strong enough, so you will have at least this much off your head in DP2. Alternatively, do it first thing back in September.
Remember: ToK essay titles will be issued in September so just another deadline onto your calendar (bonus: presentation)!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending