The Student Room Group

Mock driving test

I am a little concerned as I had my mock test and failed with 3 major 1 not pulling out quick enough 2 changing lanes where I could stayed in lane and 3 stopping at all junctions when I could go and also 17 minor and test is 2 weeks away should I rebook it for later late
Reply 1
Original post by Seanchelsea1905
I am a little concerned as I had my mock test and failed with 3 major 1 not pulling out quick enough 2 changing lanes where I could stayed in lane and 3 stopping at all junctions when I could go and also 17 minor and test is 2 weeks away should I rebook it for later late

Moving to Learning to Drive - 17 minors is an awful lot, perhaps consider the possibility you may not actually be ready.
I'm not sure you're ready! Give yourself some more time to practise. Maybe increase how often you're having lessons? Just because you've covered everything doesn't mean you're comfortable with everything.

In my opinion, you're definitely not ready to take the test in 2 weeks, firstly you have 3 major meaning you have still a lot you need to improve in your driving and secondly having 17 majors is quite a lot. I think the max you can get in one category is 3 and a total maximum of minors is 13.

Your best option is to move your driving test about a month back, in that month go over what you got wrong with your driving instructor about what you got wrong in the mock test. As well try driving more regularly outside of driving lessons as that can help to boost your confidence, a thing my driving instructor did to help my confidence was shout at me (I know that might sound that it doesn't help), it helped me to concentrate on the road more and to make gain confidence.
You can get 16 minors but my instructor is going to give me a mock test in a week and see how I am
Reply 5
You can get 16 minors but my instructor is going to give me a mock test in a week and see how I am

No, you cannot.
The answer is 15 minors still can pass
Reply 7

It depends whether you can do a lot more lessons between now and your test to improve on those things, my mock went really badly exactly 1 week before my test but I had a lesson almost every day until my test and then passed first time. A lot of the time, instructors are a bit harsher than examiners.
Reply 8
The answer is 15 minors still can pass

Only if they're in varying categories. Usually, more than 3 minors in the same fault category results in a major fault - you would fail the test.
Original post by IWMTom
Only if they're in varying categories. Usually, more than 3 minors in the same fault category results in a major fault - you would fail the test.

Sorry Tom, not entirely true. The nature of a persistent (serious) fault has more to do with percentages than numbers. If fail to check your left door mirror 5 times out of say 20 times, that's 25% and may not be considered a persistent fault. However, if you stop 6 times on the left during your test and fail to check your blindspot when pulling away on 3 of those occasions, that's 50% and will most likely be recorded as a serious fault.

What you say is ok as a guide but ultimately it depends........

Ask your driving instructor - they know your driving better than anyone else can from a description.

The good news is that you now know the things that you did wrong, so are more likely to avoid doing them as much in future. Good luck.
Reply 11
Original post by Emma-Ashley
Sorry Tom, not entirely true. The nature of a persistent (serious) fault has more to do with percentages than numbers. If fail to check your left door mirror 5 times out of say 20 times, that's 25% and may not be considered a persistent fault. However, if you stop 6 times on the left during your test and fail to check your blindspot when pulling away on 3 of those occasions, that's 50% and will most likely be recorded as a serious fault.

What you say is ok as a guide but ultimately it depends........

I'd love to know how the examiner keeps track of every time you should have and do look at your individual mirrors in order to calculate a percentage; it's a ludicrous concept.

Yes, it depends, hence why I said USUALLY. The discretion of the examiner is usually well tuned; a learner missing vital observations regularly, or not making progress regularly, or failing to signal regularly, is an unsafe driver.

Passing three minors in the essential categories is a well established baseline for considering a learner for test failure. Yes, this is not set in stone, but it is a good measure.

My point stands.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending