The Student Room Group

Do you think euthanasia should be legalised in the UK?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JMR2017
But as I said. There would be no motivation for things to improve with the advent of Euthanasia.

The Geneva University Hospital reduced its palliative care team after it decided to allow assisted suicide. In the Netherlands, there is a confirmed case of a patient euthanised to free up a hospital bed. In Brazil, although euthanasia is illegal, a doctor has recently been accused of seven murders after killing patients in intensive care. An investigation is underway to elucidate 300 other cases of suspicious deaths, probably caused by the same doctor. What would have happened if euthanasia was legal here?

Things don't improve for terminally ill people, they only get worse.

People do bad things, well done for noticing. Why don't you find the stats about how many people euthanasia has helped to end their suffering.

Why are you so adamant that people must suffer at the end of their life?
Original post by JMR2017
But as I said. There would be no motivation for things to improve with the advent of Euthanasia.

The Geneva University Hospital reduced its palliative care team after it decided to allow assisted suicide. In the Netherlands, there is a confirmed case of a patient euthanised to free up a hospital bed. In Brazil, although euthanasia is illegal, a doctor has recently been accused of seven murders after killing patients in intensive care. An investigation is underway to elucidate 300 other cases of suspicious deaths, probably caused by the same doctor. What would have happened if euthanasia was legal here?

I take it you aren't familiar with veterinary medicine. As far as I'm aware, euthanasia hasn't led to the treatment of animals being left in the stone age.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Moonstruck16
I take it you aren't familiar with veterinary medicine. As far as I'm aware, euthanasia hasn't led to the treatment of animals being left in the stone age.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So you are comparing animal life to human life... :tongue:
Original post by Meany Pie
Things don't improve for terminally ill people, they only get worse.

People do bad things, well done for noticing. Why don't you find the stats about how many people euthanasia has helped to end their suffering.

Why are you so adamant that people must suffer at the end of their life?

How do you not get it yet? Fewer terminally ill patients arounds means fewer test subjects!! Fewer test subjects supposedly means that less research will be done and god forbid we consider the patient we're supposed to be helping and listening to first!!!

At least I think that's what they mean...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JMR2017

Are you really dense enough to realise that a lot of the treatments used in humans and animals are not exclusive? This isn't about comparison of animal amd human life, it's of medicine and science.

Posted from TSR Mobile
How do you not get it yet? Fewer terminally ill patients arounds means fewer test subjects!! Fewer test subjects supposedly means that less research will be done and god forbid we consider the patient we're supposed to be helping and listening to first!!!

At least I think that's what they mean...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Obviously, my bad!

Original post by JMR2017

:facepalm2:

You can't be this stupid.
Original post by EternalLight
Hmm this is a tricky one for me.

Even though it's not permissible in my religion to kill yourself, I do actually support the right to end your life if you want. I would always try to persuade someone out of taking their own life but I think the option should be there as long as they are mentally capable of making the decision and allow a suitable amount of time (several months at least) for the patient to think carefully about the decision they're about to make.

Is it still killing yourself if you don't administer the drugs?
Are you really dense enough to realise that a lot of the treatments used in humans and animals are not exclusive? This isn't about comparison of animal amd human life, it's of medicine and science.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But we are talking about the sanctity of human life. You can't use animals in your argument.
Original post by Meany Pie
Is it still killing yourself if you don't administer the drugs?

Of course, you are willingly signing your life away, the patient commits suicide via assisted suicide.

In a court of law / official document it would probably still be classed as suicide by euthanasia or something.
Original post by JMR2017
But we are talking about the sanctity of human life. You can't use animals in your argument.

I am using veterinary medicine. Do you you know what that is? Do you know what mammals are?

Posted from TSR Mobile
i believe that the case of legalising euthanasia needs to be considered upon the basis it is to be used upon. whilst i could see why this would be reasonable to implement for those who are old or are suffering from terminal illnesses, i do not believe it should be allowed for other purposes as i believe it would promote suicide. i know that in order for someone to consent to euthanasia, they cannot be mentally ill, but surely something is intrinstrically abnormal if they are wanting to die.
I am using veterinary medicine. Do you you know what that is? Do you know what mammals are?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes I do.
Original post by JMR2017
Yes I do.

So what is it that you are finding so hard to understand?

Posted from TSR Mobile
So what is it that you are finding so hard to understand?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know. What is your argument based on?
Original post by JMR2017

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why can't you understand that?
Original post by JMR2017

You have managed to come up with some silly idea that if we allow euthanasia that research into medical treatments is going to cease to exist. I used veterinary medicine as an example against your idea.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You have managed to come up with some silly idea that if we allow euthanasia that research into medical treatments is going to cease to exist. I used veterinary medicine as an example against your idea.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I never said ceased to exist. I said there would be advancement at a slower rate and less motivation.
Reply 57
Yes, but for cases where its extreme and they are suffering dearly.
Original post by JMR2017
I never said ceased to exist. I said there would be advancement at a slower rate and less motivation.

What is your evidence there will be lower motivation? People will still dedicate their lives to finding treatments. A patient can choose whether they want treatment or not so if your silly idea is based on a lack of test subjects available, then I don't know what to think about you but it isn't that positive right now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
What is your evidence there will be lower motivation? People will still dedicate their lives to finding treatments. A patient can choose whether they want treatment or not so if your silly idea is based on a lack of test subjects available, then I don't know what to think about you but it isn't that positive right now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Patient can choose at the start, but IMHO, it will be the start of a slippery slope. Euthanasia costs so much cheaper than chemotherapy for instance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending