The Student Room Group

Biology EE on veganism

I am doing my extended essay for biology and I have chosen to do it on comparing the vegan diet to a regular meat eating diet. I am really interested in this topic, however, I'm struggling to find an experiment for this subject.

If anyone could give me an experiment idea or a structure for my essay that would be very helpful!
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4739591/

One done on Finnish people....this what you're looking for? (let me know if you cant access the file, i'll try and send you a copy)

PS ive looked at diet studies like this a few years ago during my degree, so happy to try and help here and there if needed :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by QuentinM
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4739591/

One done on Finnish people....this what you're looking for? (let me know if you cant access the file, i'll try and send you a copy)

PS ive looked at diet studies like this a few years ago during my degree, so happy to try and help here and there if needed :smile:

Thank you, that's great! I have to do some form of experiment on top of this research but I have no idea what to test the foods for. I need to test them for something that will be significantly different between meat and vegan foods.
Original post by harrietallen7
Thank you, that's great! I have to do some form of experiment on top of this research but I have no idea what to test the foods for. I need to test them for something that will be significantly different between meat and vegan foods.

Oh nice, are you actually able to do the experiments in a lab and stuff?

If you are sans lab, you can always survey a few vegans, vegetarians and omnivores, find out what they eat on a "typical" day, run their diet through some fitness app and try and compare nutrient intakes between them, i guess....

First you need to identify what foods are different between the two diets-like when a meat eater eats something, what substitute does a vegan have? e.g. tofu vs meat.

Some nutrients to look at:
1) Protein is usually considered lower in vegan diets than omnivore diets
2) Fat soluble vitamins A and D, and vitamin B12 are found more in animal products (thats how most people get their's every day)
3) Antioxidants and Vitamin C (which is also an antioxidant anyway) would probably be higher in vegan diets if they actually replace the animal products with vegetables
Original post by QuentinM
Oh nice, are you actually able to do the experiments in a lab and stuff?

If you are sans lab, you can always survey a few vegans, vegetarians and omnivores, find out what they eat on a "typical" day, run their diet through some fitness app and try and compare nutrient intakes between them, i guess....

First you need to identify what foods are different between the two diets-like when a meat eater eats something, what substitute does a vegan have? e.g. tofu vs meat.

Some nutrients to look at:
1) Protein is usually considered lower in vegan diets than omnivore diets
2) Fat soluble vitamins A and D, and vitamin B12 are found more in animal products (thats how most people get their's every day)
3) Antioxidants and Vitamin C (which is also an antioxidant anyway) would probably be higher in vegan diets if they actually replace the animal products with vegetables

Yes, I can do my experiments in a lab. This is extremely helpful! Thank you so much for the help! I've tried looking for protein experiments but they are hard to do with accuracy, however, looking at the vitamins and B12 sounds perfect!
Reply 5
If your study is solely focused on veganism and the metabolic effects compared to a meat-based diet, I think your essay might be a short one. Maybe look at the meat-industry and it's effects on climate change.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Akamega
If your study is solely focused on veganism and the metabolic effects compared to a meat-based diet, I think your essay might be a short one. Maybe look at the meat-industry and it's effects on climate change.

Posted from TSR Mobile

this is actually a good topic to discuss
You could do some labwork on analysing the availability of essential proteins and vitamins and so on from vegan foodstuffs when "digested" in vitro compared to typical sources

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending