The Student Room Group

Do you think euthanasia should be legalised in the UK?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JMR2017
Patient can choose at the start, but IMHO, it will be the start of a slippery slope. Euthanasia costs so much cheaper than chemotherapy for instance.

Have you ever thought that people are allowed to have a choice? We live for ourselves, not for the progress of science. A slippery slope to people choosing their path in life, boy you must be a happy person.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Moonstruck16
Have you ever thought that people are allowed to have a choice? We live for ourselves, not for the progress of science. A slippery slope to people choosing their path in life, boy you must be a happy person.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, however euthanasia would affect other people as well, not just the person in question. Therefore the personal autonomy should be limited.
Original post by JMR2017
Yes, however euthanasia would affect other people as well, not just the person in question. Therefore the personal autonomy should be limited.

Everything in life affects somebody else but your life is yours and your alone to live.

I repeat, you don't have the patient in mind. So can you explain what your agenda is?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Everything in life affects somebody else but your life is yours and your alone to live.

I repeat, you don't have the patient in mind. So can you explain what your agenda is?

Posted from TSR Mobile

However there are plenty of other external factors at play. Emotional, financial just to name a few. Even your own existence is the product of an external factor.
Absolutely. Forcing suffering people to carry on living is just torture.
Original post by JMR2017
However there are plenty of other external factors at play. Emotional, financial just to name a few. Even your own existence is the product of an external factor.

My coming into this world was not my choice, how I leave it is.

So what you are saying is patients should be kept alive against their wishes to suit the emotional needs of others and because of money? For somebody who seems to consider human life of greater value than that of animals, you really are out of it.

Why do you not care about the patient?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
My coming into this world was not my choice, how I leave it is.

So what you are saying is patients should be kept alive against their wishes to suit the emotional needs of others and because of money? For somebody who seems to consider human life of greater value than that of animals, you really are out of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, I'm saying death should be allowed to come at its natural time. Whether you believe this is God's will or nature's or whatever.
Original post by JMR2017
No, I'm saying death should be allowed to come at its natural time. Whether you believe this is God's will or nature's or whatever.

Now we have gotten to the real reason you don't want it.
Original post by JMR2017

Does that argument not work in reverse against using unnatural means to stave off death with medicines and treatment?

The science of medicines goal is ultimately to heal and improve the quality of life of patients. That can be in preventing death, but when death is inevitable isn't it right to also use it to ensure it's as dignified and pain-free as possible for the patient if the patient wishes to end their life on their own terms?
Original post by JMR2017

AAAAAHHH OK now I get it. So why are you saying we should carry on research into medcine at all???? Medicine itself is playing God. By your reasoning, carrying on treatment of people who should have died long ago is wrong.
Original post by Meany Pie
Now we have gotten to the real reason you don't want it.

Yep.

And that his view's are against the point of medicine. Yet he's still defending it. He sounds like a confused little boy.
Yep.

And that his view's are against the point of medicine. Yet he's still defending it. He sounds like a confused little boy.

Let's see what his excuse is first, he is a pretty young though, GCSE level I think.
AAAAAHHH OK now I get it. So why are you saying we should carry on research into medcine at all???? Medicine itself is playing God. By your reasoning, carrying on treatment of people who should have died long ago is wrong.

Medicine is not 'playing God'. Death can still come even if medicine is used. What I do think is wrong however is putting people on life machines for indefinite periods of time.
Let's see what his excuse is first, he is a pretty young though, GCSE level I think.

They usually are. Nonetheless, my popcorn is ready.
Original post by BigYoSpeck
Does that argument not work in reverse against using unnatural means to stave off death with medicines and treatment?

The science of medicines goal is ultimately to heal and improve the quality of life of patients. That can be in preventing death, but when death is inevitable isn't it right to also use it to ensure it's as dignified and pain-free as possible for the patient if the patient wishes to end their life on their own terms?

No, medicine is not playing God.
Original post by JMR2017
Medicine is not 'playing God'. Death can still come even if medicine is used. What I do think is wrong however is putting people on life machines for indefinite periods of time.

So you are against medicine for death because it is unnatural, but for medicine for life because what?
Original post by JMR2017

Oh right, medicine isn't playing God.

Let's first define medicine:
"the science or practice of the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of disease (in technical use often taken to exclude surgery)."

So basically:

- Vaccinations are unacceptable.
- Resucitation is unacceptable.
- Life support (as you've said) is unacceptable.
- Assisting during birth complications is unacceptable.
- Providing chemotherapy is unacceptable.
I could carry on but cba ya know.
So you are against medicine for death because it is unnatural, but for medicine for life because what?

To help someone in getting better, why else? Euthanasia is not getting better, it is just giving up.
Oh right, medicine isn't playing God.

Let's first define medicine:
"the science or practice of the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of disease (in technical use often taken to exclude surgery)."

So basically:

- Vaccinations are unacceptable.
- Resucitation is unacceptable.
- Life support (as you've said) is unacceptable.
- Assisting during birth complications is unacceptable.
- Providing chemotherapy is unacceptable.
I could carry on but cba ya know.

But someone getting better because if medicine is also God's will IMHO. Euthanasia is not.
Original post by JMR2017
To help someone in getting better, why else? Euthanasia is not getting better, it is just giving up.

But medicine is unnatural, that is your argument against euthanasia.

It is accepting the inevitable and stopping suffering.

Why do you want people to suffer?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending