The Student Room Group

Do you think euthanasia should be legalised in the UK?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JMR2017
To help someone in getting better, why else? Euthanasia is not getting better, it is just giving up.

Euthanasia is not giving up. If a person chooses to go down the route of euthanasia then that is their choice. People won't fight for life if they don't want it and before you start insulting anyone who chooses to not want to live anymore, remember that judgement dicks who do that will get bitten by karma one day.
Original post by JMR2017
But someone getting better because if medicine is also God's will IMHO. Euthanasia is not.

So by that same logic then, medicine not working is God's will, thus making suffering God's will.
Original post by Moonstruck16
Euthanasia is not giving up. If a person chooses to go down the route of euthanasia then that is their choice. People won't fight for life if they don't want it and before you start insulting anyone who chooses to not want to live anymore, remember that judgement dicks who do that will get bitten by karma one day.

Err, it is giving up. You are choosing not to give up. And yes, if (God forbid) I have some sort of terminal illness, I would not choose euthanasia, even if it was available.
Original post by JMR2017
But someone getting better because if medicine is also God's will IMHO. Euthanasia is not.

That's great but remember that religious mumbo jumbo has very little impact, if any, in modern medicine. We could go back to shaking bags of bones whilst chanting to 'help' people who are moribund but that isn't going to happen and would actually be a regression of medicine, something that you seem to be passionately against.

You have just said we 'shouldn't play God'. Medicine, treating people, keeping people alive when they would have otherwise died is playing God. You either have it or you don't.
Reply 84
To me, abortion being legal but euthanasia being illegal is just completely illogical. Surely they both operate on the same basis: a persons control over their body.
Original post by Meany Pie
So by that same logic then, medicine not working is God's will, thus making suffering God's will.

You are going off onto another track here.
Original post by JMR2017
Err, it is giving up. You are choosing not to give up. And yes, if (God forbid) I have some sort of terminal illness, I would not choose euthanasia, even if it was available.

See we're back at the beginning. It is YOUR choice to not choose to die, but YOUR choice might not be the choice of someone else.

Euthanasia is choosing to die. Death isn't giving up, death is a natural thing that everyone will go through. Some people just die sooner than others.
Original post by JMR2017

You brought God into this, I do like how you haven't actually addressed the point because you know how ****ed up it is.
Original post by JMR2017

Well why don't you answer her and put her back on the 'right track'?
That's great but remember that religious mumbo jumbo has very little impact, if any, in modern medicine. We could go back to shaking bags of bones whilst chanting to 'help' people who are moribund but that isn't going to happen and would actually be a regression of medicine, something that you seem to be passionately against.

You have just said we 'shouldn't play God'. Medicine, treating people, keeping people alive when they would have otherwise died is playing God. You either have it or you don't.

You were the one who brought up the 'mumbo jumbo' by saying medicine is playing God.

As I have said, people still die when they take medicine.
You brought God into this, I do like how you haven't actually addressed the point because you know how ****ed up it is.

I could answer the Problem of Suffering, but quite frankly, this is not the place to do it. Maybe you should make a new thread in the philosophy section.
Original post by JMR2017
You were the one who brought up the 'mumbo jumbo' by saying medicine is playing God.

As I have said, people still die when they take medicine.

I think you'll find you mentioned God first.

Yes, they do do. Are you saying that medicine should just be restricted to drugs and nothing else?

I still can't believe this plonker is against euthanasia but also against life support.
Original post by JMR2017
I could answer the Problem of Suffering, but quite frankly, this is not the place to do it. Maybe you should make a new thread in the philosophy section.

A convenient answer lmfao.
Original post by JMR2017

Avoidance, another brilliant strategy.

I think we have come to an end with this really, you want people to suffer because of your God.

I think we have come to an end with this really, you want people to suffer because of your God.

That. He also doesn't seem to realise that 'medicine' doesn't just mean shoving drugs down somebody's throat.
I think you'll find you mentioned God first.

Yes, they do do. Are you saying that medicine should just be restricted to drugs and nothing else?

I said death should come when it comes naturally, whether you believe in God or whatever else. So yes I mentioned Him, but my argument was not based on Him.
Original post by JMR2017
I said death should come when it comes naturally, whether you believe in God or whatever else. So yes I mentioned Him, but my argument was not based on Him.

Yes I got this. But how can you say that you agree with anything about the practice of medicine if you believe that death should come naturally?

But what do you want me to answer? I am not avoiding or refusing to answer your question, I am just saying this is inappropriate place to do it.
Original post by JMR2017

But medicine prevents natural death so how does that work?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending