The Student Room Group

A-level options need SERIOUS HELP!!

Through out the year I have changed my a-level options many times. As I have said in most forums I have picked: English Literature, Media Studies, Graphic Design and Fine art. I know for sure I want to do English Lit and Fine art, but I can't get it out of my head how I only have one academic subject. Everyone is doing STEM and it worries me, because I can get a degree only in English lit. I really don't want to struggle in the future but it seems like it, unless I change one of my options to a academic one, but then again I don't think I would pursue it, for example biology, law, geography, I wouldn't mind doing these, but I won't pursue it in the future.

Scroll to see replies

If you know what uni course you want to do, then see what the A Level requirements are for it.

If you don't know what you want to do in the future, I suggest taking more facilitating/"traditional" subjects to keep your options open. Unless its something artsy
Original post by luckystars
If you know what uni course you want to do, then see what the A Level requirements are for it.

If you don't know what you want to do in the future, I suggest taking more facilitating/"traditional" subjects to keep your options open. Unless its something artsy

Thanks, could you give me some examples of facilitiating/traditional subjects please.
Reply 3
Original post by TheAlchemistress
Through out the year I have changed my a-level options many times. As I have said in most forums I have picked: English Literature, Media Studies, Graphic Design and Fine art. I know for sure I want to do English Lit and Fine art, but I can't get it out of my head how I only have one academic subject. Everyone is doing STEM and it worries me, because I can get a degree only in English lit. I really don't want to struggle in the future but it seems like it, unless I change one of my options to a academic one, but then again I don't think I would pursue it, for example biology, law, geography, I wouldn't mind doing these, but I won't pursue it in the future.

Read this document. Don't you like maths?
https://www.russellgroup.ac.uk/media/5272/informedchoices-print.pdf
Reply 4
I'd recommend you doing one STEM subject. It look very good to university Plus it leaves alot of doors open for you into a lot of fields. You don't need to pursue Biology in university but you will have alot more options.
Original post by SGHD26716

Thanks, me and Maths have a love and hate relationship. I depised Maths so much, then I eventually liked it enough to pick it for A-level, then my first GCSE paper shattered my confidence.
Reply 6
Thanks, me and Maths have a love and hate relationship. I depised Maths so much, then I eventually liked it enough to pick it for A-level, then my first GCSE paper shattered my confidence.

I would strongly suggest you don't do Media Studies and Graphic Design and replace them with STEM subjects.
Original post by Hafsahh
I'd recommend you doing one STEM subject. It look very good to university Plus it leaves alot of doors open for you into a lot of fields. You don't need to pursue Biology in university but you will have alot more options.

The only STEM am doing is English lit, it's still confusing for me because I would like to do Graphic design and Media studies, but I might have to replace it. Who would have heard a girl doing a-levels she doesn't like. 😂
The only STEM am doing is English lit, it's still confusing for me because I would like to do Graphic design and Media studies, but I might have to replace it. Who would have heard a girl doing a-levels she doesn't like. 😂

English Lit isn't STEM, STEM stands for science, technology, engineering and maths
Original post by peacheyroses
English Lit isn't STEM, STEM stands for science, technology, engineering and maths

I give up.

What do you want to do in the future?
I'm doing FM, Maths, Physics, Chem, CompSci, but that's only because I enjoy STEM
A Level in any subject is very hard, would you want to force yourself under subjects you actually enjoy, and would feel passionate and easier to go through.

Even if you're not going to do it in the future, I don't think universities of that degree type would accept STEM as an advantage in a quite artsy and cultural degree. It's best to do what you enjoy.

Imo Graphic Design is quite good after doing it in GCSE, Media idk.
It's best if your subjects 'speak to each other', not a complete overlap of content, but complement one another, I did Physics and Maths and CompSci for instance, Eng Lit goes well with maybe Law or Government and Politics?

If you want a thoroughly academic AS I'd recommend either Maths or a Science of your choice (Biology is a good one)
Original post by Tiffanylee
What do you want to do in the future?

Something artistic, like a graphic designer designing logos or other things for people. Or designing magazine layouts.

I would swap Graphic Design for Design Technology - but I agree with others that suggest looking at uni options.
Something artistic, like a graphic designer designing logos or other things for people. Or designing magazine layouts.

Look at uni requirements
Original post by Tiffanylee
Look at uni requirements

Okay thanks.
Okay thanks.

If I were in your position, I would probably go with a science subject, and certainly maths (in place of graphic design and fine art). As people have said above - it will leave your options open, and it will definitely look good if you apply to a Russel Group uni. Just my two cents.
I'm taking no STEM subjects even though it is recommend (drama, media studies and fine art). As long as you have required or recommended subjects for the uni course you want to do, it should be fine. My courses are perfect for my desired uni course even though I took no STEM. It depends on the person and their desires, really. As said above, look into uni courses and see what they require!

But on the other hand, leaving your options open is always good if you're not certain about your choices.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I do suggest taking maths as it is the fundamental subject of everything: you wouldn't exist without maths. Some day you might decide to go into an unexpected sector and having a maths alevel demonstrates lots of skills. Think of it as a back up cushion to fall back onto if your future plans don't fall into plan properly. If you struggle at alevel maths, there's plenty of help available here and from your teachers.

However, I suggest you follow ambitions you love and enjoy so i suggest taking English lit, Maths, Fine art and Graphic design. Drop one of them after AS before going into A2, preferably do not drop maths but it's up to you.

If yore really passionate about something, you will find it a lot easier to succeed.
Original post by Scriptzer
If I were in your position, I would probably go with a science subject, and certainly maths (in place of graphic design and fine art). As people have said above - it will leave your options open, and it will definitely look good if you apply to a Russel Group uni. Just my two cents.

Thanks, sadly I love doing art and it seems that I would have to give it up. I was considering doing biology but I can't since the requirement is a 6 (B) in Maths, which am not going to get. There is also the fact that I see myself having a creative job, even if I was to do these a-levels, then at uni I would be completely clueless to what course to pick.

Quick Reply

Latest