The Student Room Group

Why is mental health such a problem in young people?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Probably best I don't have any, bar TSR and I've already seen enough messed up sh*t on this website. People quoting themselves for company? That's messed up.

For me, I only tend to get stressed around exam season.
Reply 61
Original post by SCIENCE :D
Yes what I am saying is that mental illness may have always been as prevalent as it today, it's just that older generations used alcohol and drugs to cover it more than we do.
My granddad used to drink at least 10 pints a day, which increased after his wofe died. I never asked him if he suffered from anything but I suspect he did, he has dementia now.
All his friends used to drink a lot as well.

So we failed as a people to some extent. If our own brains are so messed up due to our way of living, then what are we living life wrong?
Yes what I am saying is that mental illness may have always been as prevalent as it today, it's just that older generations used alcohol and drugs to cover it more than we do.
My granddad used to drink at least 10 pints a day, which increased after his wofe died. I never asked him if he suffered from anything but I suspect he did, he has dementia now.
All his friends used to drink a lot as well.

I don't think you can say it was the same in the past. I think some generations were stronger than others and have different ways of dealing with such issues. Our generation is very very unlucky. Terrorism, cyber crime, bullying, horrible political outcomes or scary economical outcomes. The younger generation are more involved than ever before and as much as parents they are worried and scared yet they cannot do anything about it due to age and limitations.

I am not saying you're wrong by an means, i do agree mental illness has been around, its just been brought up way more in our generation. I am very sorry to hear about your grandparents.
Original post by SGHD26716
So we failed as a people to some extent. If our own brains are so messed up due to our way of living, then what are we living life wrong?

I don't think our brains are messed up. I honestly think that we have overcomplicated our society too much, as animals I don't think we were meant to live in such a complicated world.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 64
I don't think our brains are messed up. I honestly think that we have overcomplicated our society too much, as animals I don't think we were meant to live in such a complicated world.

Valid to say. I wonder how we would be in the next 100-200 years
Mental health is a big problem for us youngsters because the world is changing in such a way, that we are forced to adapt to it such as Brexit. We feel as if people are stacking us with so much rules, that hasn't existed before. There is pressure that you have to strive to do excellent in everything, some of our passion is looked down on because it doesn't meet our parents expectations of a better future.
(edited 6 years ago)
I don't drink or do drugs like none not even paracetamol lmao
It wasn't long ago until i got told i had a form of OCD where i constantly made sure i was clean and my mind would make up smells yeah i know it's weird. I was fine through out my life such a normal blunt cold hearted student then baaaammm i don't know what triggered me but it all just started happening randomly. Luckily, I've been getting help and it's getting better and i'm going back to normal. However i do agree i know so many people with anxiety problems and other mental health problems but i feel like nowadays people are either starting to open more about mental health problems but i have met a few people who say they have mental health problems and they could but most people call them attention wh*res. So it's a bit annoying when attention seekers and people with an actual problem could be saying i have a mental health problem
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by TheAlchemistress
Mental health is a big problem for us youngsters because the world is changing is such a way, that we are forced to adapt to it such as Brexit. We feel as if people are stacking us with so much rules, that hasn't existed before. There is pressure that you have to strive to do excellent in everything, some of our passion is looked down on because it doesn't meet our parents expectations of a better future.

I think it's sad that some parents don't support their kids and their dreams, because with the right support i think kids could achieve anything.
Original post by SGHD26716
Valid to say. I wonder how we would be in the next 100-200 years

Mental health will only get worse in the UK. Especially if cuts to NHS services get worse.
Original post by HwangMinhyunWife
I don't drink or do drugs like none not even paracetamol lmao
It wasn't long ago until i got old i had a form of OCD where i constantly made sure i was clean and my mind would make up smells yeah i know it's weird. I was fine through out my life such a normal blunt cold hearted student then baaaammm i don't know what triggered me but it all just started happening randomly. Luckily, I've been getting help and it's getting better and i'm going back to normal. However i do agree i know so many people with anxiety problems and other mental health problems but i feel like nowadays people are either starting to open more about mental health problems, But i have met a few people who say they have mental health problems and they could but most people call them attention wh*res. So it's a bit annoying when attention seekers and people with an actual problem could be saying i have a mental health problem

Apart from the personal and surrounding elements that impact people to build up to issues such as depression, it is also biological. I've read that it can be due to the lack of chemical also know as 'happy chemicals' and it just happens and people feel down, which obviously can cause other issues. I don't think people can be blamed for how they feel, it's not something anyone can control really.

I hope that you stay well and i wish you all the best. :smile:
Mental health will only get worse in the UK. Especially if cuts to NHS services get worse.

I agree but there is still time to try do something.
Original post by MissBravo

Yeah but there is very little we can do without a properly funded NHS.
Apart from the personal and surrounding elements that impact people to build up to issues such as depression, it is also biological. I've read that it can be due to the lack of chemical also know as 'happy chemicals' and it just happens and people feel down, which obviously can cause other issues. I don't think people can be blamed for how they feel, it's not something anyone can control really.

I hope that you stay well and i wish you all the best. :smile:

True, maybe someone down our ancestors might of also of had the problems.
Thank you :smile: I hope you stay healthy and be happy.
Yeah but there is very little we can do without a properly funded NHS.

It's schools and the NHS that are suffering. I think there is a lot of focus on Brexit and there isn't much we can do about that until it is over and done with, but if nothing is done about the NHS many people will suffer. I think the NHS got some attention when there as a cyber attack but its appalling that, that's what it takes for a health service to get attention from the government, and it wasn't even the government who provided the services to help the NHS but a random English blogger who is amazing in my opinion.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by HwangMinhyunWife
True, maybe someone down our ancestors might of also of had the problems.
Thank you :smile: I hope you stay healthy and be happy.

Highly likely i think and Thank you :smile:
It's schools and the NHS that are suffering. I think there is a lot of focus on Brexit and there isn't much we can do about that until it is over and done with, but if nothing is done about the NHS many people will suffer. I think the NHS got some attention when there as a cyber attack but its appalling that, that's what it takes for a health service to get attention from the government, and it wasn't even the government who provided the services to help the NHS but a random English blogger who is amazing in my opinion.

Yeah Brexit is consuming everything at the moment. But the thing is Brexit could drag on for 10 years or more, so in terms of the NHS drastic action cannot wait that long. I wouldn't worry though, I don't think the limping tories will make it to the next election.
Yeah Brexit is consuming everything at the moment. But the thing is Brexit could drag on for 10 years or more, so in terms of the NHS drastic action cannot wait that long. I wouldn't worry though, I don't think the limping tories will make it to the next election.

They won't be able to ignore huge issues such as mental health and the NHS for too long before people get sick of it.
I think it's sad that some parents don't support their kids and their dreams, because with the right support i think kids could achieve anything.

I totally agree with you.

All parts of the NHS is under pressure,so it is not easy.

There is not much we can do,the NHS is barely managing,just the consequences of modern day life.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by the bear
fewer children are brought up in stable God-fearing families. it is no wonder things are falling apart.

Why would you want children to grow up fearing something that doesnt exist?

Quick Reply

Latest