The Student Room Group

Does anyone else find the idea of buffets unhygenic?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by loveleest
Do you eat at buffets?
When I'm at a buffet, I eat, yes. You might notice I'm very much alive and very seldom unwell.
Original post by Tootles
Funny how you can spell "microbiologists" but not "faecal."

Fecal is the American spelling. I really shouldn't use thrm because I know a pedantic Brit is going to come along.
Original post by Quantex
Fecal is the American spelling. I really shouldn't use thrm because I know a pedantic Brit is going to come along.
TSR is a UK-based site and it is thus reasonable to expect UK (ie correct) spellings, especially among supposed academics.
The buffets I go to have lids that cover the food
Reply 24
There are many, many opportunities for food to become contaminated long before being placed on a buffet bar. From growing, delivery and preparation, there are no doubt far worse things that happen to your food than when it finally gets placed under some hot lights for you to serve yourself.
Reply 25
I see people using their hands instead of the tongs used to pick the food up with.
Ofc when they touch some and put it back it's like wtf.

But idk i still go lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tootles
TSR is a UK-based site and it is thus reasonable to expect UK (ie correct) spellings, especially among supposed academics.

You must be fun at parties.
Reply 27
Original post by Bad8oys
I see people using their hands instead of the tongs used to pick the food up with.
Ofc when they touch some and put it back it's like wtf.

But idk i still go lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't find that part hygienic though, assuming they don't put it down. It''s the coughing and sneezing around the food thats offputting
Original post by Cubone-r
You must be fun at parties.
Life and soul, baby.
Reply 29
no
I don't find that part hygienic though, assuming they don't put it down. It''s the coughing and sneezing around the food thats offputting

And you think chefs and waiters/waitresses don't cough and sneeze around your food in a normal restaurant?
Reply 31
Original post by Cubone-r
And you think chefs and waiters/waitresses don't cough and sneeze around your food in a normal restaurant?

No, they wear face masks.
No, they wear face masks.

I've worked as a waiter part time in a number of restaurants in the past, I can assure you the chefs do not wear face masks and I can't remember the last time I was in a restaurant and heard the muffled voice of a waiter wearing a face mask asking me what I would like.
I don't know how people do it and the thought of it is pretty nasty. Like getting food from a place where people might have sneezed and coughed on the food. Is it the fact that they are usually cheap is what draws people in?

I never understand such sentiments. The world is literally filled with germs. Your skin is covered in them. Your intestines are full of them. You wash your hands and then dry your hands on a paper towel that is covered in germs. You then pick up your bag and type on a keyboard both covered in germs and talk into your phone which is not only covered in germs but harbours them too.

And then get all het up about hot food that might have been sneezed on which ironically is most likely to be more germ free than the plates you eat off at home.

Weird.
Reply 35
Original post by ByEeek
I never understand such sentiments. The world is literally filled with germs. Your skin is covered in them. Your intestines are full of them. You wash your hands and then dry your hands on a paper towel that is covered in germs. You then pick up your bag and type on a keyboard both covered in germs and talk into your phone which is not only covered in germs but harbours them too.

And then get all het up about hot food that might have been sneezed on which ironically is most likely to be more germ free than the plates you eat off at home.

Weird.

I guess thats true
I guess thats true

I remember hearing about a school kid who did a project where she collected samples of toilet water and ice cubes from McDonalds. She found the toilets to be cleaner. Makes sense given the frequency of which toilets are flushed and disinfected compared to the ice maker which might get looked at once a month. And even then people rarely get ill from eating McDonalds ice because we have a high level of tolerance to germs and bugs.
Have you ever seen on the TV where people won't give up I mean Like a cricketer who won't leave the crease or a person who keeps turning up who just won't go away or lots of other people in certain situations. They're being stubborn I think you are too!
Reply 38
Original post by ByEeek
I remember hearing about a school kid who did a project where she collected samples of toilet water and ice cubes from McDonalds. She found the toilets to be cleaner. Makes sense given the frequency of which toilets are flushed and disinfected compared to the ice maker which might get looked at once a month. And even then people rarely get ill from eating McDonalds ice because we have a high level of tolerance to germs and bugs.

Eww! I actually feel sick. wtf!

Original post by Anfanny
Have you ever seen on the TV where people won't give up I mean Like a cricketer who won't leave the crease or a person who keeps turning up who just won't go away or lots of other people in certain situations. They're being stubborn I think you are too!

Stubborn? Okay fine! You know what? Sometime soon I will visit a buffet to make you happy.:colonhash:
Eww! I actually feel sick. wtf!

Stubborn? Okay fine! You know what? Sometime soon I will visit a buffet to make you happy.:colonhash:

Do you want some special sauce to go with that :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest