The Student Room Group

Girlfriend breaks up for commitment before 6 months

My girlfriend and I were dating pretty smoothly for most of our 5 month relationship. Over this summer, we both agreed to become a little more serious, and because she lived 3.5 hours away, I didn't get to see her often. We were texting a lot, but sometimes she would get offended by my jokes and take them personally. One day, she got extremely mad and suggested some time off, and I said we could take a break. Just last night, she decided to break up with me over commitment issues, because the idea that we were seriously dating scared her all of sudden, even though we just finished our first year at uni. She said she is scared of the commitment and possibility of us being together after uni, like marriage, and she's also saying she doesn't feel mature enough for an adult relationship. I just don't know what to do. She was thinking about marriage and not even 6 months into a relationship, and she called it off because she was afraid we were getting along too well. I'm just really confused and need some help.
Move on and find someone not so easily offended.
Reply 2
Original post by Whiskey&Freedom
Move on and find someone not so easily offended.

I know that, but the reason she broke up with me was because she said she was worried about the future and was scared of the possibility of marriage. Is that normal or was she just freaking out about nothing?
I'm guessing she just doesn't want to pursue it over the distance.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
I'm guessing she just doesn't want to pursue it over the distance.

We only have a month before school starts again, so I don't know why she would choose to wait until now to tell me that the distance is making it hard.
Reply 5
Hate to say it but it's time to move on. Honestly, you will be helping yourself ultimately.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending