The Student Room Group

Should we bring back the death penalty here in the UK?

Poll

Should the UK bring back the death penalty?

The waves of crimes including cyber bullying and terrorism just doesn't stop, while we can find the perpetrators they are simply let off too easily for example recently in the Amanda Todd case the blackmailer wrote a letter saying he was "innocent" which made me very angry at how he doesn't have any remorse for Amanda's death and was only sentenced for 11 years in prison this year like is this a joke? The blackmailer deserves the death penalty because people like him just don't change.
If we bring back the death penalty crimes both physical and online will drop.
So what do you guys think?

Scroll to see replies

Yes but only in exceptional circumstances.
Reply 2
For pedos, terrorists & murderers.
No, I don't think so.
Only for serial killers in my opinion. Where there is 100% solid proof that they have killed more than one person.
Reply 5
I think it's not the solution..

Posted from TSR Mobile
No, but I did hear that in some American prisons, the new convicts are paraded through the prison in an overall that has their crime in big, bold letters on the back...definitely not a bad plan when it comes to the rapists and paedos among the population, as well as terrorists.

I've also heard that over here paedos and rapists are put on a separate wing than everyone else? Yeah, this needs to stop.

At the end of the day I think we should just make prison far harsher than it currently is - after all, if someone is proven innocent while alive, they can go home, but if they were given the needle decades beforehand, there's no going back.
Original post by The RAR
the blackmailer wrote a letter saying he was "innocent" which made me very angry

I think this is what it's really about - it would make you feel better and less angry if there was a death penalty. A society that allows for state sanctioned murder is backwards, we've been there and we need to move forwards.
Reply 8
Original post by applesforme
I think this is what it's really about - it would make you feel better and less angry if there was a death penalty. A society that allows for state sanctioned murder is backwards, we've been there and we need to move forwards.

Yeah, in the wrong way forward:colonhash:
Original post by The RAR
Yeah, in the wrong way forward:colonhash:

Uh huh, this is all talk. Would you be prepared to administer the lethal injection yourself?
Reply 10
Original post by applesforme
Uh huh, this is all talk. Would you be prepared to administer the lethal injection yourself?

Honestly I don't mind dying if I need to pay for my vile crimes
YES. Why on Earth should the taxpayer have to pay through the nose to keep them locked up in prison? Much more convenient just to dispatch of them immediately.
Reply 12
Original post by Dot.Cotton
YES. Why on Earth should the taxpayer have to pay through the nose to keep them locked up in prison? Much more convenient just to dispatch of them immediately.

First time ive agreed with one of your posts :wink:
Reply 13
This is madness. Even option 2 is wrong. If you weren't intellectually 10 years old, you would understand that penalty is not about society's vindictive sentiment against an individual. You should approach this with logic, not sentimentality.

Reacting to bullying with a death sentence is extremely disproportionate. Regardless, the state should never have arbitrary power over the life/death of an individual.
Agreeing until nobody listens to you when you accidentally kill someone and you get the death penalty :happy2:
Reply 15
Original post by ClearSky
Agreeing until nobody listens to you when you accidentally kill someone and you get the death penalty :happy2:

Surely the reasons of why you murdered that person will be taken into consideration
Reply 16
Original post by TagridS
I think it's not the solution..

Posted from TSR Mobile

What is the solution?
Definitely bring it back. And life sentences should also be more common.

How is it fair for a victims life to be taken completely, but the murderer only suffers for a portion of their life?
Original post by jkff
What is the solution?

I know people don't believe in treatment for this kind of people, psychological or whatever other treatments out there. But I think if we stop trying, we stop being humans. There is always a way, but kill them all is not the solution, or we would have to kill every person that goes for the bad path, and that's a lot. Society it's what we made of it, I'm not trying to defend the evil actions some people do, but we have to find ways to help people before they get there, so basically what I'm saying, it's not to give up on people.
(edited 6 years ago)
Electric chair no soaked sponge. Dry af sponge.

Latest

Trending

Trending