The Student Room Group

When is the best time to start revising for GCSEs

In September, I go into year 11 and then I know it will go really fast. I was wondering when should I start revising for GCSEs and how much revision I should be doing at that time. My plan was to spend the summer holidays mainly getting organised and doing occasional notes on things I may have forgotten such as parts of a history topic, and also do the summer work that some teachers have given me. Any helpful advice is appreciated :smile:
If you have nothing on this summer then maybe you can start off by writing down your notes and revising a bit. Don't over work. Remember summer holidays is about resting and on each topic I usually did 1/2 hours in a day and the more topics I do the more hours I put in

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Hambi123
If you have nothing on this summer then maybe you can start off by writing down your notes and revising a bit. Don't over work. Remember summer holidays is about resting and on each topic I usually did 1/2 hours in a day and the more topics I do the more hours I put in

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for your help, I hope to end up actually doing this
Original post by jennifugh
In September, I go into year 11 and then I know it will go really fast. I was wondering when should I start revising for GCSEs and how much revision I should be doing at that time. My plan was to spend the summer holidays mainly getting organised and doing occasional notes on things I may have forgotten such as parts of a history topic, and also do the summer work that some teachers have given me. Any helpful advice is appreciated :smile:

The best time to start revision for your exams is usually around February, when you can go over everything at a manageable pace. Before this, just focus on learning as you go along :h:
Yes February is the best time to revise, don't over-do it, maybe a few 45 min sessions a week.
Reply 5
I had mocks in December time so I guess my revision started then because I needed to revise for those exams. But I think revision for the main exams started ,for me, around February time. Though it was very little to begin with so don't worry!
DO NOT START REVISING IN THE SUMMER

You will burn out if you start too early. I revised for my GCSEs mid-April onwards and I did just fine.
You should have started revision in year 9.
Reply 8
I think I'll start revising in February then and just focus on homework in summer as well as getting organised. Thank you everyone for the advice :smile:
Fair play to everyone who started way before GCSEs even began, but it is different for every person... All of my friends started revising in September of Y11 some even before but i knew that was way too early for me as I wouldn't remember any of it. In actual fact I didn't start revision until 2/3 weeks before exams started and I also found not sticking to a timetable was better for me. I prioritized my subjects (the ones i struggles with/wanted to peruse further) that way i didnt feel stressed or pressured. Just remember that stressing is pretty much the worst thing to do, and if its really that bad you can always resit them... it's not the end of the world. My revision techniques consisted of Mind maps for some subjects, timelines, flash cards and highlighting things. Tbh i dont think i had a clue how to revise and i don't regret not doing excessive amounts of revision because i wasnt stressed and had a very calm attitude and for my personality that was crazy as i stress over everything... Hope this helps x
Reply 10
Original post by smif_mister
Fair play to everyone who started way before GCSEs even began, but it is different for every person... All of my friends started revising in September of Y11 some even before but i knew that was way too early for me as I wouldn't remember any of it. In actual fact I didn't start revision until 2/3 weeks before exams started and I also found not sticking to a timetable was better for me. I prioritized my subjects (the ones i struggles with/wanted to peruse further) that way i didnt feel stressed or pressured. Just remember that stressing is pretty much the worst thing to do, and if its really that bad you can always resit them... it's not the end of the world. My revision techniques consisted of Mind maps for some subjects, timelines, flash cards and highlighting things. Tbh i dont think i had a clue how to revise and i don't regret not doing excessive amounts of revision because i wasnt stressed and had a very calm attitude and for my personality that was crazy as i stress over everything... Hope this helps x

Thank you. For me 2-3 weeks before probably wouldn't work but I'll take some of this advice on board especially the part about not getting too stressed.
Revise well for mock exams or end of unit tests to cement stuff in your head and then start building up a little more revision from Jan-march (not too much though, just a few extra hours a week). Revise lots in the Easter holidays, and you'll know you need to revise from then. Honestly the most important thing to do is revise for practice tests when you get into year 11 because you'll remember much more.
For now, do homework set by school but have a rest otherwise.

Quick Reply

Latest