The Student Room Group

Best Uni for an undergrad in History and Postgrad in Journalism?

I intend on doing an undergraduate degree in History and then a postgraduate degree in Journalism. Which uni would be best for both degrees. Located in London
Original post by Oneiropólos
I intend on doing an undergraduate degree in History and then a postgraduate degree in Journalism. Which uni would be best for both degrees. Located in London

You don't need to go to the same uni for both courses.

City is often regarded as among the best in the country for journalism, but not for history.

The best unis in London for history are probably (in no particular order) UCL, LSE and King's, but it depends what type of history you want to study. SOAS, Queen Mary and Goldsmiths are all worth considering.

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is called How to Avoid 5 Rejections and ir deals with the basics of applying for Uni and why concepts like 'best' is not the way to choose a Uni : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/how-to-avoid-getting-five-university-rejections
Focus on where you want to go for your undergrad first. Three years is a long time - you might have changed your mind about the masters - or which masters - by then. Even if you still want to do it, you don't have to stay at the same uni. Different unis might be offering different courses in three years time. Just focus on which uni has the history course that appeals to you most for now.

I highly recommend going to Queen Mary for History. A lot of the professors at the university are very high profile historians in the history world. There is also a lot of diverse modules on offer at Queen Mary's History department. Just don't go to QM for English. English department is rubbish.

If I was you I wouldn't do a postgraduate degree in journalism. Most newspapers and news stations give jobs based on your experience rather than whether you have a journalism degree or not. Work on building a portfolio. Join student newspapers, blog regularly, and get some experience. There are a lot of summer abroad programs for journalism.

A History degree is enough to get into journalism. There are loads of journalists who don't have a journalism degree.
Original post by constantine2016
I highly recommend going to Queen Mary for History. A lot of the professors at the university are very high profile historians in the history world. There is also a lot of diverse modules on offer at Queen Mary's History department. Just don't go to QM for English. English department is rubbish.

If I was you I wouldn't do a postgraduate degree in journalism. Most newspapers and news stations give jobs based on your experience rather than whether you have a journalism degree or not. Work on building a portfolio. Join student newspapers, blog regularly, and get some experience. There are a lot of summer abroad programs for journalism.

A History degree is enough to get into journalism. There are loads of journalists who don't have a journalism degree.

What postgraduate degrees go best with an undergraduate history degree
What do you actually want to do with your life?
Original post by returnmigrant
What do you actually want to do with your life?

Become either a Lawyer,Journalist and maybe even a college professor
What postgraduate degrees go best with an undergraduate history degree

I'd say do a postgraduate degree in a subject you're interested in. A lot of history graduates do further qualifications in law. Philosophy also pairs well with history.
Original post by constantine2016
I'd say do a postgraduate degree in a subject you're interested in. A lot of history graduates do further qualifications in law. Philosophy also pairs well with history.

Great, thanks for the info!
Become either a Lawyer,Journalist and maybe even a college professor

Are you American? We do not have 'College' Professors in the UK.
Original post by returnmigrant
Are you American? We do not have 'College' Professors in the UK.

I meant University professors

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending