The Student Room Group

When to take Flucloxacillin????

I've been prescribed flucoxacillin to take four times daily, I thought that'd mean every six hours but it doesn't work out. Is it okay to take them every four hours? I've been prescribed these plenty of times before but it's been a while and I can't remember what kind of times I took them.
What does the packet say to do?
Reply 2
Original post by Meany Pie
What does the packet say to do?

It says to take them four times daily
Original post by Jxrdqn99
I've been prescribed flucoxacillin to take four times daily, I thought that'd mean every six hours but it doesn't work out. Is it okay to take them every four hours? I've been prescribed these plenty of times before but it's been a while and I can't remember what kind of times I took them.

Moved to Health

Every 4 hours should be fine.
It says to take them four times daily

Every 4 hours should be fine unless you want to be waking up way too early.
Reply 5
When i had to take them, i just did. as soon as i woke up. Before Lunch, before dinner and before bed
Reply 6

I'm always quite bad at taking things x times a day cos i'm forgetful and sleep a lot (especially when i'm ill). I usually try to make sure they're a couple of hours apart and mostly remember to do it with meals or when I wake up/ go to bed. That's always worked out fine for me.
I'd say 4 hours should be fine. :smile:
Double check whether they should be taken on a full or empty stomach.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Okay new question real quick, I'm trying to take them four times but once I take my third one of the day I feel physically nauseous. Is that normal???
Okay new question real quick, I'm trying to take them four times but once I take my third one of the day I feel physically nauseous. Is that normal???

What does it say on the box / leaflet?
Reply 10
As everyone has said, take one every 4 hours.

Original post by Tiger Rag
What does it say on the box / leaflet?

According to NHS website on that medication, completely normal.

And they should be taken on an empty stomach.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by meenu89
According to the leaflet that comes with it, completely normal.

Really? I've taken some an hour before or after I've ate.
Original post by S2M
Really? I've taken some an hour before or after I've ate.

It says 30 minutes before a meal or two hours after.
Reply 14
Original post by meenu89
It says 30 minutes before a meal or two hours after.

Whoops, got the after part wrong.
Reply 15
Original post by meenu89
According to NHS website on that medication, completely normal.

Oh okay, well thank you. And don't worry I am taking them on an empty stomach. I've been prescribed these things five times before that bit I can't forget

Antibiotics commonly cause nausea within the first few days, it should subside soon. Flucloxacillin has a fairly short biological half-life, so it makes sense and shouldn't cause any extra harm for you to take them close together (eg every 4 hours). Hope this helps :h:
Get some probiotic yoghurt and it often helps with the nausea. I've had a few courses of antibiotics, including the one you're on and can easily get through three or four large pots of the stuff, but it makes me feel a lot better.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest