The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bobby147
I would argue your work ethic and the activities you did outside the degree is what made you employable,not the degree itself.

OP asked for the most 'enjoyable' not most 'employable' subject.

And yeah ofc it's a very enjoyable subject that most students pursue for the sake of pursing it instead of for employability reasons.

I remember walking into the first lecture and seeing the title 'is death bad for us?' and I was like 'dayyum, this is truly the subject for me' :rofl:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by queenofswords
Well ofc, it's still a very enjoyable subject that most students pursue for the sake of pursing it instead of for employability reasons.

Of course,you should always do a degree you enjoy:smile:.

Not to mention you have the side benefits of crushing people in debates :bigsmile:.
You responded before I could put my smilie edit in :frown:.
Well ofc, it's still a very enjoyable subject that most students pursue for the sake of pursing it instead of for employability reasons.

I was talking about this before on another thread, but with the increasing introduction of machinery and robots over the coming decades, a lot of ethical implications will have to be considered that will go on to form legislation and policy on the use of robots and whatnot. So philosophy is an interesting degree for the future and even presently, it just gets a bad rep.

I remember walking into the first lecture and seeing the title 'is death bad for us?' and I was like 'dayyum, this is truly the subject for me' :rofl:

Death can be a good thing:eek: ?
I can understand that at the level of a population or the world,but surely individually death is always a bad thing ?:hmmm:
Original post by Cubone-r
I was talking about this before on another thread, but with the increasing introduction of machinery and robots over the coming decades, a lot of ethical implications will have to be considered that will go on to form legislation and policy on the use of robots and whatnot. So philosophy is an interesting degree for the future and even presently, it just gets a bad rep.

Indeed, and generally I think philosophy students tend to be very open minded and capable for grasping complex concepts quickly which makes them a valuable asset regardless of whether there is a demand for direct application of their learning.

They just have a bad rep of being annoying campus mystics.

I can understand that at the level of a population or the world,but surely individually death is always a bad thing ?:hmmm:

Is it bad for the individual that dies? In what way is it bad for them?

In my opinion, humans need death. Otherwise if we lived forever no one would do anything productive. It is thought of knowing that one day we are going to die and leave this world that drives people to do useful things.. to leave their mark on this world ya know.
Reply 26
OP asked for the most 'enjoyable' not most 'employable' subject.

And yeah ofc it's a very enjoyable subject that most students pursue for the sake of pursing it instead of for employability reasons.

No the OP asked about employability.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Indeed, and generally I think philosophy students tend to be very open minded and capable for grasping complex concepts quickly which makes them a valuable asset regardless of whether there is a demand for direct application of their learning.

They just have a bad rep of being annoying campus mystics.

Is it bad for the individual that dies? In what way is it bad for them?

The near universal desire of humans to live for as long as possible(assume for sake of simplicity the quality of life is good).The scary thought for many people that they will cease to exist.
We are derailing this thread,so I suggest you make a Is death a bad thing thread .
I know you are going to say something mind-blowing,as philosophers always do :woo::yes:.
Original post by doonesbury
no the op asked about employability.

posted from tsr mobile

holy **** MANDELA EFFECT

mind ****ed

I read it like four times as enjoyable :facepalm:

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 29
Events management
In my opinion, humans need death. Otherwise if we lived forever no one would do anything productive. It is thought of knowing that one day we are going to die and leave this world that drives people to do useful things.. to leave their mark on this world ya know.

If robots /automation take over all the jobs,how will this affect your argument ?
How would a universal income affect your argument ?
Reply 31
holy **** MANDELA AFFECT

mind ****ed

I read it like four times as enjoyable :facepalm:

Haha :smile:

But as pointed out by everyone there's no point doing an "employable" course if you don't enjoy it.

Medicine is the most employable degree... doesn't mean everyone would enjoy it, or a career in medicine. :smile:
The near universal desire of humans to live for as long as possible(assume for sake of simplicity the quality of life is good).The scary thought for many people that they will cease to exist.
We are derailing this thread,so I suggest you make a Is death a bad thing thread .
I know you are going to say something mind-blowing,as philosophers always do :woo::yes:.

People desire to not die, that's true.

But after a person dies there is no agent left anymore to feel the deprivation of life. So what makes death bad for the person?
If robots /automation take over all the jobs,how will this affect your argument ?
How would a universal income affect your argument ?

Even if everyone got a universal income, people have an inherent desire to better themselves, to learn more, to get a better job, to be higher than they are currently (hence why a universal income / the equal distribution of wealth will never work) as people will always want to better themselves.

Robots will never be able to take over all of the jobs, but in a scenario where they have, I think that there will always be something for humans to strive for (i.e. taking down our robot overlords :P). The fact that one day we are going to die and cease to exist is so powerful that I believe it to be a motivator in even the most hopeless settings.
Probably nursing. All nurse graduates I know walked straight into jobs after.
Original post by BTAnonymous
Engineering grads then. Along with economics and maths.

I wouldn't say economics and maths is more employable than the likes of nursing.
Although I definitely agree that engineering is very employable.
Original post by Twinpeaks
I wouldn't say economics and maths is more employable than the likes of nursing.
Although I definitely agree that engineering is very employable.

I'm just a biased mf, lol.
People desire to not die, that's true.

But after a person dies there is no agent left anymore to feel the deprivation of life. So what makes death bad for the person?

Wow.I genuinely have nothing valid to counter that last sentence. I was thinking to argue maybe the process of death could be bad,but that would not answer your point,plus in some situations such as torture ,death would even be seen as a positive.

I also realised from a religious point of view,your argument still seems to holds since a religious person would believe the afterlife would be necessarily be better than the one on Earth,so death would not be seen as a bad thing from their point of view as well.

I guess the only thing i could say is the thought that death brings for most people and the impact it may have on the relatives and fear it may bring to the living,but that does not answer why it is bad for the person in question who died.

I have no reply :frown:.And after 20 hours of no sleep,yet you are still over powered in debating :getmecoat::redface:.King's taught you well :smile:.
Even if everyone got a universal income, people have an inherent desire to better themselves, to learn more, to get a better job, to be higher than they are currently (hence why a universal income / the equal distribution of wealth will never work) as people will always want to better themselves.

Robots will never be able to take over all of the jobs, but in a scenario where they have, I think that there will always be something for humans to strive for (i.e. taking down our robot overlords :P). The fact that one day we are going to die and cease to exist is so powerful that I believe it to be a motivator in even the most hopeless settings.

But in the big scheme of things ,one could ask what is the point ?
The Sun will die out one day and so will the universe,so all our achievements will ultimately be for nothing :frown:.
Unless like there are really parallel universes and intelligent alien civilisations who are very successful,then obviously everyone should feel more motivated :colonhash:.

Latest