The Student Room Group

Social life whilst doing an apprenticeship?

I am considering doing an apprenticeship rather than going to university this year. If you are doing/have done an apprenticeship, what is your social life like?
Original post by battlebus
I am considering doing an apprenticeship rather than going to university this year. If you are doing/have done an apprenticeship, what is your social life like?

I havent done an apprenticeship but my sister did. She still had a social life.
Quite a few tomes she went out with the people she worked with at the place where she did her apprenticeship.
And there where meetings/events/socials organised by the apprenticeship organiser for all the people doing apprenticeships within the company (from various parts of the country) to meet up/share experiences/have a social etc. So thats an option depending on how big the company is and how many people there are around who are doing apprenticeships.
Plus theres still your old friends from at home as well.
As stated by Emma, you can still have a social life. I'm an apprentice with Unilever (will be off travelling after resigning on the 31st) and I can definitely say that the department in which I work are very social, always celebrating a birthday - they'll take any excuse to go out for a team dinner or drinks. There are also young apprentices coming in every 6 months so there are a great deal of people in your age gap if you're late teens/early twenties, too.

I'm also quite blessed in that the majority of my mates didn't go to uni so I they're pretty accessible for a night out whenever tbh.

Honest answer: yes you can still have a social life, and it could potentially be very good depending on how well you bond with mew people/how close your mates are.
Original post by harrythomas14
As stated by Emma, you can still have a social life. I'm an apprentice with Unilever (will be off travelling after resigning on the 31st) and I can definitely say that the department in which I work are very social, always celebrating a birthday - they'll take any excuse to go out for a team dinner or drinks. There are also young apprentices coming in every 6 months so there are a great deal of people in your age gap if you're late teens/early twenties, too.

I'm also quite blessed in that the majority of my mates didn't go to uni so I they're pretty accessible for a night out whenever tbh.

Honest answer: yes you can still have a social life, and it could potentially be very good depending on how well you bond with mew people/how close your mates are.

Hi I know this is a 4 year old post.
Do you have any regrets not doing uni?

I'll explain my situation. I've finished a level and have uni offers for computer science 3 years.
Also a level 4 network engineer, which then I can do a level 6 (digital and tech solutions degree). Around 4 years Total. Both are online training. For the level 4 it's only 15 days online. And 56 during the level 6. So not much. I will be their first apprentice, so no one that's 18. And the youngest people there will be grads so 21/22.

The issue is its a 8-5, I need to wake up at 5am to get there and come back home at around 7 in September.
So more than 12 hour days 5 days a week.
I'm 18, and the average retiring age is 60. I will be working all my life. My counter argument is why should I not go to uni, have couple hours uni a day. And have free time and a social life.
Because i dont want to regret in the future not going uni when I could have done it, enjoyed young life and got the same job
Original post by Chris2892
I studied on my degree apprenticeship on day release 35 mile away from work and home in Sheffield.

I joined my local university student union in Leeds as a guest and arguably had a better social life than my full time student friends.

I also joined dance classes in the city and hung around with the graduates outside work since most were new to the city and didn’t know anyone.

Met that many people every week was someones birthday night out or house party etc.

It’s really about just putting yourself out there and trying new skills/classes/hobbies - uni unions are excellent for this.

Cool!
I'll explain my situation. I've finished a level and have uni offers for computer science 3 years.
Also a level 4 network engineer, which then I can do a level 6 (digital and tech solutions degree). Around 4 years Total. Both are online training. For the level 4 it's only 15 days online. And 56 during the level 6. So not much. I will be their first apprentice, so no one that's 18. And the youngest people there will be grads so 21/22.

The issue is its a 8-5, I need to wake up at 5am to get there and come back home at around 7 in September.
So more than 12 hour days 5 days a week.
I'm 18, and the average retiring age is 60. I will be working all my life. My counter argument is why should I not go to uni, have couple hours uni a day. And have free time and a social life.
Because i dont want to regret in the future not going uni when I could have done it, enjoyed young life and got the same job

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending