The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

In the middle east they have law saying you have to cover up or suffer the consequences, so why can't we have our laws saying you can't cover up? It's funny how the countries that want you to cover up are not as safe as those that don't want you to cover up , what does that tell you ?
Original post by PTMalewski
I have never said anything of the sort! But I do say now, that wearing a Burka or a Niqab, is
probably as British, as wearing Pickelhaub and having a German Kaiser instead of the King. Or the Queen.

I say probably, because I'm not British either. But nemo iudex in causa sua, then maybe I'm even in a better position to say so, and being in Britain, or any other country, I would not dare to enforce my culture or just being ostentatious about it.

It is as elegant and decorum, as an American from the middle west, asking for a hamburger while being in Rome in a proper Italian restaurant, or a Brit swearing loudly in a restaurant in Cracow, as I witnessed, thinking that nobody can understand him anyway, and acting like, just because he is in a country commonly associated with vodka, he get himself drunk so badly, to vomit over entire market place, and insult the local monuments!

44.jpg

OK, What is up with the scary old man puppet?
Original post by JMR2017
OK, What is up with the scary old man puppet?

Trying hard to be funny and speak some elements of a serious message in the same time.
Original post by PTMalewski
Trying hard to be funny and speak some elements of a serious message in the same time.

More scary than funny. It is as if his black beady eyes are searching my soul.
And when a child gets kidnapped by someone who could not be identified because of the veil, the parents will sue the school for failure to provide adequate security. Surely, safety ought to be of paramount importance
The school told her not to wear identity-concealing clothing on the premises and she saw dollar signs.

Burkas are a choice (husband permitting); a non-essential garment. This woman suffered no financial loss and her feelings aren't worthy of a payout.

I really hope this gets thrown out, but sadly the court will most likely pander.
Whilst you can wear what you like to run to your nearest legal aid solicitor and the papers is pathetic over this.
I agrer with the school
I just dont feel comfortable speaking to people with a veil over their face and just sering their eyes.
I mean, women can wear whatever they want, but...
Original post by Moonstruck16
An old family friend used to grab onto keys and make the sign of the cross whenever somebody in a burka walked past :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm very surprised they did not report it to the police, things like that offend them- look on YouTube at the Britain First videos they get so triggered when they walk around towns and cities with the Christian cross particularly ones with big muslim populations.

This is slightly off topic- during Euro 2016 football competition I had a St George's flag in my window my muslim neighbour reported it to a roaming police officer-the officer told me which house the complaint came from. This is where the double standards start to kick in he had an Hezbulloah flag on display- that's effectively a terrorist organisation-**** all was done, because they play the race/religion card
Reply 49
The article states that the woman in question began wearing the face veil 14 years ago, and so has presumably been wearing it to collect her three children for the entire time they have been in school, so clearly it's not an impossible situation. Also, an 11 year old child is surely going to recognise their own mother, and the other parents at the school will also be able to recognise her by talking to her once they get to know her, as well as getting to know her individual mannerisms. I don't think a productive discussion on security issues and identification is going to happen until people at least begin to address their fear of the unfamiliar, which is very evident in some posts on this thread.
Original post by Beth_H
The article states that the woman in question began wearing the face veil 14 years ago, and so has presumably been wearing it to collect her three children for the entire time they have been in school, so clearly it's not an impossible situation. Also, an 11 year old child is surely going to recognise their own mother, and the other parents at the school will also be able to recognise her by talking to her once they get to know her, as well as getting to know her individual mannerisms. I don't think a productive discussion on security issues and identification is going to happen until people at least begin to address their fear of the unfamiliar, which is very evident in some posts on this thread.

I still can't get over the robbery that happened in Brixton a few weeks after my first year exams. Men dressed in the burka robbed a pawnbroker...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JMR2017
I mean, why not let women wear what they want?

Maybe I want to go to a school conference in a G-string? Would it be wrong to ban this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
If I walked in to a bank wearing a balaclava the employees behind the counter will start to **** themselves. So that's why you are not allowed to have your face covered in a bank. To make it a safer environment for the employees and customers in the bank.
Reply 53
Original post by astutehirstute
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/muslim-mother-london-school-face-veil-ban-daughter-niqab-holland-park-rachida-serroukh-a7852396.html

This woman is a vexatious litigant, what a waste of the court's time. If she wins her lawyer will be enriched as will she, and the public purse impoverished. To what good end?

The more incidents there are like this, the more the division grows between non Muslims and non non Muslims.

Many will feel If she is so unhappy with this, why doesn't she go and live in a country whereshe would be forced to wear a burka anyway? Like Afghanistan?

False.
Reply 55

Don't tell me what's false and not about Afghanistan when I have been there and seen women without burka and actually majority of the girls don't even wear it. The country does not force anyone to wear it. Get your facts straight.
Original post by h333
Don't tell me what's false and not about Afghanistan when I have been there and seen women without burka and actually majority of the girls don't even wear it. The country does not force anyone to wear it. Get your facts straight.

My facts are straight.

Much of the country is under Taliban control again, and they force women to wear Burkas.
IMG_4808.JPG
Reply 58
Original post by JMR2017
I mean, why not let women wear what they want?
Coming from a Muslim, I will assume that the irony is accidental.
Original post by JohnGreek
The article in the Guardian (link) seems to be full of a surprising amount of padding, even by the 'muh emotions' standards of that newspaper. Lots of junk about how the mother went to that school and how well her daughter performed in Year 6, which add nothing of interest to the core debate.

I personally agree with the decision. It's proportionate. Not only are there the security concerns outlined by @BigYoSpeck, but there's also the question of intimacy and familiarity. Such parent-teachers meetings are situations where a teacher is expected to convey details about a child's performance and behaviour at school. It's therefore a place where a teacher would expect a lively conversation with a parent, and, particularly at a prestigious school such as this one, the parent to show emotion and react to their suggestions for improvement. The glorified tent cloth does an excellent job at hiding your facial expression, which would feel disturbing to me, as I wouldn't be certain as to whether my feedback was getting across in the way in which I expected it to be.

The only reason why the child was left alone and embarassed was because of the mother's lack of foresight (not buying one of those clip-on veils), and stupid religious dogma, that prohibited her from showing her face to a group of professional, middle class, middle-aged parents. Hardly a den of sexual predators whose mere witnessing of a female face could be feared to arouse lustful instincts.

If the photo in the article you linked is what she was wearing, that looks like a detachable niqab that she could've put back on upon leaving school premises. That's what my aunt did when she came to collect me as a child once. This is so trivial and a waste of everyone's time and energy.

Latest

Trending

Trending