medtrek
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi,

I'm applying to a degree in Osteopathy and would like to know if I could apply for a Tuition Fee Loan. My circumstances are the following:

- I'm an EU citizen
- Continuous living in the UK for 4+ years
- I already have an undergraduate degree
- The degree is part-time
- Starting the course in 2017/2018

I'm aware people already with a degree are normally not legible for the tuition fees loan, however it seems the rules have changed this year:

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/who-qualifies

Quoting: (you have studied before section) "you already have a degree and you’re starting a healthcare course (except for dental hygiene or dental therapy) on or after 1 August 2017"

Does this exception apply for Osteopathy then?

Thanks in advance for replying back.

Cheers
Claire SFE
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by medtrek)
Hi,

I'm applying to a degree in Osteopathy and would like to know if I could apply for a Tuition Fee Loan. My circumstances are the following:

- I'm an EU citizen
- Continuous living in the UK for 4+ years
- I already have an undergraduate degree
- The degree is part-time
- Starting the course in 2017/2018

I'm aware people already with a degree are normally not legible for the tuition fees loan, however it seems the rules have changed this year:

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/who-qualifies

Quoting: (you have studied before section) "you already have a degree and you’re starting a healthcare course (except for dental hygiene or dental therapy) on or after 1 August 2017"

Does this exception apply for Osteopathy then?

Thanks in advance for replying back.

Cheers
Hi Medtrek,

Unfortunately we wouldn't fund the course you are wishing to do, as it is not on our list of acceptable Allied Health Professional Courses. We suggest speaking to the University you are wishing to attend about finance from other companies.
Thanks Claire
medtrek
Rep:
?
(Original post by Claire SFE)
Hi Medtrek,

Unfortunately we wouldn't fund the course you are wishing to do, as it is not on our list of acceptable Allied Health Professional Courses. We suggest speaking to the University you are wishing to attend about finance from other companies.
Thanks Claire
Hi Claire,

I called SFE yesterday and exposed my situation. The response couldn't be anymore different: I will definitely be financed indeed, once the degree leads to a professional qualification, even though not being part if the "Allied Health Professional courses" and was encouraged to apply ASAP.

Best Regards
Claire SFE
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi Claire,

I called SFE yesterday and exposed my situation. The response couldn't be anymore different: I will definitely be financed indeed, once the degree leads to a professional qualification, even though not being part if the "Allied Health Professional courses" and was encouraged to apply ASAP.

Best Regards
Hi Medtrek,

I've checked again the same details you provided and still getting the same answer. If you wish to apply then assessor will look into this further for you.
Thanks Claire
medtrek
Rep:
?
Hi Claire,

Thanks for double checking this for me.

I'll try to speak with you guys again and see if I get a more conclusive answer. It is possible I may have not provided my full details on this thread.

Cheers
Meechris
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi medtrek,My situation is very similar with yours. I'd like to ask you if you had any news regarding the tuition fees loan. Thank you.
medtrek
Rep:
?
(Original post by Meechris)
Hi medtrek,My situation is very similar with yours. I'd like to ask you if you had any news regarding the tuition fees loan. Thank you.
Hi Meechris,

I've called 2 or 3 times speaking with different advisors and every time the answer is No tuition fee loan available.

The course is not an allied health course and was never funded by NHS. Too bad they gave me bad advice the first time I called.

I'm now dropping my offer letter from Uni as fees are too much to bear with no aid.

Good luck to you!
Meechris
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi medtrek,Thank you very much for your response and I'm sorry to hear that. There are always alternatives, right?Have you considered another way of funding such as career and development loan or a full time job while you're studying part-time?Other alternative might be to apply for a physiotherapy degree next year, so you will be able to apply for the tuition fees loan probably the maintenance (since you will be 5 years in UK). After that you can apply for the fast-track MSc Osteopathy programme which is only 2 years. I hope you will find your way to study what you really want and makes you happy.Good luck
medtrek
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello student finance england,

I just read fantastic news about Osteopathy...!! It seems it is now an AHP:

https://www.england.nhs.uk/2017/04/c...l-professions/

https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/exp...ions/osteopath

Did NHS read this thread last year?

In light of these news, could you please confirm I would be able to apply for a student loan from you, even thought I already have a first degree?

Many thanks
Aisha SFE
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello student finance england,

I just read fantastic news about Osteopathy...!! It seems it is now an AHP:

https://www.england.nhs.uk/2017/04/c...l-professions/

https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/exp...ions/osteopath

Did NHS read this thread last year?

In light of these news, could you please confirm I would be able to apply for a student loan from you, even thought I already have a first degree?

Many thanks
Hi, here is a list of AHP courses we would fund.

• Chiropody
  • Dietetics and Nutrition
  • Occupational Therapy
  • Operating Department Practice (Diplomas and Degrees)
  • Orthoptics
  • Physiotherapy
  • Podiatry
  • Prosthetics and Orthotics
  • Radiography
  • Radiotherapy
  • Speech and Language Therapy
  • Nursing
  • Midwifery

Regards, Aisha.
medtrek
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi Aisha,

Once there was some delay getting a reply here, I called SFE and I was confirmed Osteopathy will be funded 2018/2019 for second degree holders as it is now an NHS AHP. I even gave my uni name and they found the course in the system.

I would advise you to revise the list above.

Regards
Nstr
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi medtreck,I'm stuck in your same situation. I keep contacting the NHS getting different answers. In the end, did you manage to find a solution?Thank you in advance
mitolab
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
BUMP - can anyone shed light on this issue. Osteopathy is an allied health profession but seems to be the only one that student finance won't fund!? Why is osteopathy not included on the list of funded second degrees that the government hands to student finance?
Last edited by mitolab; 8 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (22)
24.72%
No (67)
75.28%

Watched Threads