The Student Room Group

Struggling with my Christian faith.

Hi guys, so I became a Christian (previously atheist/agnostic) about a year ago. It was, without a doubt, the best thing that has ever happened to me and I am so, so grateful for God's influence in my life. However, I have been struggling an awful lot over the past few months and I'm looking for some guidance really.

I'm sort of at a loss with faith. After a couple of weeks I usually feel such a strong urge that either He's there or that I need to come back to the right path but that hasn't happened this time. I started losing faith (I hate using that term but I can't think of any other way to describe it right now) about 3 or 4 months ago and its just not really come back.

I still believe in Him, I regularly reread my testimony to try and inspire those feelings I had when I first became Christian but nothing comes back. One of the reasons is that I've stopped attending church and now, because its been so long, I feel nervous to go back. I'm not entirely sure its the right place for me, some of the sermons and practices haven't fit right in my mind and I'm starting to see my beliefs as more individual than collective. Despite my disagreements, I do think I need to go back to some place of worship as it is affecting me. Secondly, I'm the only non-atheist in my family so I can't go to the people I'm closest with for guidance because they actively try to discourage my faith. It's definitely hard to keep up a strong belief when you feel kind of isolated and there's no-one to physically pull you back.

I haven't read my bible in ages as I've felt this strange anger towards it and sometimes its immensity stresses me out and I'm struggling to connect with my one Christian friend because we're at such different points in our journey with faith. The times I've tried to just pray or listen to hymns etc I only get frustrated and I don't have a pastor or a strong, non-judging figure of faith I can talk to and I feel like I have all this pent up upset that I can neither control or let out.

I'm looking mostly for responses from other Christians but feel free to share your own other faith experience.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lowza
Hi guys, so I became a Christian (previously atheist/agnostic) about a year ago. It was, without a doubt, the best thing that has ever happened to me and I am so, so grateful for God's influence in my life. However, I have been struggling an awful lot over the past few months and I'm looking for some guidance really.

I'm sort of at a loss with faith. After a couple of weeks I usually feel such a strong urge that either He's there or that I need to come back to the right path but that hasn't happened this time. I started losing faith (I hate using that term but I can't think of any other way to describe it right now) about 3 or 4 months ago and its just not really come back.

I still believe in Him, I regularly reread my testimony to try and inspire those feelings I had when I first became Christian but nothing comes back. One of the reasons is that I've stopped attending church and now, because its been so long, I feel nervous to go back. I'm not entirely sure its the right place for me, some of the sermons and practices haven't fit right in my mind and I'm starting to see my beliefs as more collective than individual. Despite my disagreements, I do think I need to go back to some place of worship as it is affecting me. Secondly, I'm the only non-atheist in my family so I can't go to the people I'm closest with for guidance because they actively try to discourage my faith. It's definitely hard to keep up a strong belief when you feel kind of isolated and there's no-one to physically pull you back.

I haven't read my bible in ages as I've felt this strange anger towards it and sometimes its immensity stresses me out and I'm struggling to connect with my one Christian friend because we're at such different points in our journey with faith. The times I've tried to just pray or listen to hymns etc I only get frustrated and I don't have a pastor or a strong, non-judging figure of faith I can talk to and I feel like I have all this pent up upset that I can neither control or let out.

I'm looking mostly for responses from other Christians but feel free to share your own other faith experience.

Hey,

Sorry to read of what you've been going through: sounds quite tough and like you are kinda troubled by it. It must be very hard being the only non-atheist in your family and not having many non-judgmental people who you can talk to about this :frown:

I'm wondering whether there are other churches in your area that you might be able to consider trying out? Kinda like church-shopping/church-hopping?! Do you mind me asking how old you are and whether you're at uni or not? Unis often have different religious societies and joining one of those (if you're at uni) might help you a bit? It can certainly be nervewracking to go back to church if you haven't been in a while - I often find that too (I'm Roman Catholic and rarely attend church, as religious buildings are a trigger for my psychosis) :redface:

Can you pinpoint what it is about reading the Bible that angers/frustrates/upsets you? Are you having doubts about particular sections of the Bible, or teachings? Maybe if you could share some of it here, we can try and help you grapple with your feelings :yes:

:hugs:
Reply 2
Hi I'm a Muslim.

Sometimes faith may fluctuate, but those who keep their trust in God will try to take steps to research carefully with a sincere heart to seek peace. In the process keep asking God to guide you. I believe that God will not leave you alone if you truly ask for His guidance and put the effort to get the answers to your questions or any doubts. I hope you find peace.
Original post by lowza

I still believe in Him, I regularly reread my testimony to try and inspire those feelings I had when I first became Christian but nothing comes back. One of the reasons is that I've stopped attending church and now, because its been so long, I feel nervous to go back. I'm not entirely sure its the right place for me, some of the sermons and practices haven't fit right in my mind and I'm starting to see my beliefs as more individual than collective. Despite my disagreements, I do think I need to go back to some place of worship as it is affecting me. Secondly, I'm the only non-atheist in my family so I can't go to the people I'm closest with for guidance because they actively try to discourage my faith. It's definitely hard to keep up a strong belief when you feel kind of isolated and there's no-one to physically pull you back.

I'm sorry that you're feeling that way; sometimes things can get too much that you start to wonder if it's all even worth it, but it really is.

Going to Church doesn't make someone 'Christian' just like not going to Church doesn't make you any less of a Christian, it's more of a way to build a community with other Christians, but given that there is such a widespread of different beliefs it's not really surprising that people wouldn't go to Church. If you feel that you should go then you should - and if you decide later it's still not for you then I don't see how that would keep you away from God.

As for reading the bible, just try, try reading at least one verse a day and continue from there. Sometimes I would read various chapters and other days I may only read a verse. And there's nothing wrong with that because we aren't perfect, were all human and some people aren't even willing to devote any of their time to God (atheists) and you aren't one of them so you're already a step a head. I know it may be hard but reading the bible shouldn't be a chore you should read it willingly, so start off small.

If you want to talk about this more feel try to pm me cause I'm more than happy to chat about this :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Hey,

Sorry to read of what you've been going through: sounds quite tough and like you are kinda troubled by it. It must be very hard being the only non-atheist in your family and not having many non-judgmental people who you can talk to about this :frown:

I'm wondering whether there are other churches in your area that you might be able to consider trying out? Kinda like church-shopping/church-hopping?! Do you mind me asking how old you are and whether you're at uni or not? Unis often have different religious societies and joining one of those (if you're at uni) might help you a bit? It can certainly be nervewracking to go back to church if you haven't been in a while - I often find that too (I'm Roman Catholic and rarely attend church, as religious buildings are a trigger for my psychosis) :redface:

Can you pinpoint what it is about reading the Bible that angers/frustrates/upsets you? Are you having doubts about particular sections of the Bible, or teachings? Maybe if you could share some of it here, we can try and help you grapple with your feelings :yes:

:hugs:

Thank you so much for your reply.

I'm going into Year 13 in September, so still another year until university. I'm really excited for that though, mostly at the prospect of being able to join a CU and being able to have more support with people similar to my age. I live about 3 miles away from the town I go to church in (there's only one in my village, I tried it; very traditional, mostly old women, very friendly but not my cup of tea) and I go with my friend whose parents drive us. Although there is a couple of other churches in that town, I can't really go to them because I rely on her to take me and they don't want to change church and my parents certainly don't want me to go to any of them!

There are a lot of aspects of my church I love, its really accepting (unless you're gay - I'm not but a couple of grossly homophobic preachers have rubbed me up the wrong way), very casual, lots of emphasis on tangible experience with God and the ability to help with mission work etc. However, their strong view points on the aforementioned queerness, euthanasia, physical powers of preachers and other touchy subjects, I haven't always agreed with. This was one of the reasons I stopped attending and now its been so long, I do feel so nervous to return! I think that is one thing I do just have to get over and go. Because I don't have religious support at home, I do need it somewhere and I know that in a year or so time I'll be at uni in a different city and, hopefully, will find the church for me.

Bible wise, its not necessarily the scripture or teachings of the bible that frustrate me - but thank you so much for your willingness to help me on that. I think, because I have somehow amassed this anger against God, I don't like reading His word. A stupid analogy, but its like having an argument with a friend which makes you angry seeing any texts or messages from them. I also don't really feel anything when I read them anymore. Beforehand, when my faith was strong, I'd read the bible and feel a connection and a desire to read on but now I feel nothing.
Reply 5
Original post by h333
Hi I'm a Muslim.

Sometimes faith may fluctuate, but those who keep their trust in God will try to take steps to research carefully with a sincere heart to seek peace. In the process keep asking God to guide you. I believe that God will not leave you alone if you truly ask for His guidance and put the effort to get the answers to your questions or any doubts. I hope you find peace.

Thank you so much - that is so lovely of you. I hope so too:smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Nathan Scott
I'm sorry that you're feeling that way; sometimes things can get too much that you start to wonder if it's all even worth it, but it really is.

Going to Church doesn't make someone 'Christian' just like not going to Church doesn't make you any less of a Christian, it's more of a way to build a community with other Christians, but given that there is such a widespread of different beliefs it's not really surprising that people wouldn't go to Church. If you feel that you should go then you should - and if you decide later it's still not for you then I don't see how that would keep you away from God.

As for reading the bible, just try, try reading at least one verse a day and continue from there. Sometimes I would read various chapters and other days I may only read a verse. And there's nothing wrong with that because we aren't perfect, were all human and some people aren't even willing to devote any of their time to God (atheists) and you aren't one of them so you're already a step a head. I know it may be hard but reading the bible shouldn't be a chore you should read it willingly, so start off small.

If you want to talk about this more feel try to pm me cause I'm more than happy to chat about this :smile:

Thank you so much. I agree with the church thing - but I do feel lesser because of it. However, I think thats more because its useful to me to have a network of people with a shared faith rather than because I feel it makes me a worse Christian.

Yeah, you're right about the bible, I do need to read it. I really used to love doing so and would happily spend evenings studying it but after my stumble with faith, its become hard to do so. I suppose its just a battle I need to push through somehow.

You're support means a lot - thank you for your advice:smile:
Original post by lowza
Thank you so much for your reply.

I'm going into Year 13 in September, so still another year until university. I'm really excited for that though, mostly at the prospect of being able to join a CU and being able to have more support with people similar to my age. I live about 3 miles away from the town I go to church in (there's only one in my village, I tried it; very traditional, mostly old women, very friendly but not my cup of tea) and I go with my friend whose parents drive us. Although there is a couple of other churches in that town, I can't really go to them because I rely on her to take me and they don't want to change church and my parents certainly don't want me to go to any of them!

There are a lot of aspects of my church I love, its really accepting (unless you're gay - I'm not but a couple of grossly homophobic preachers have rubbed me up the wrong way), very casual, lots of emphasis on tangible experience with God and the ability to help with mission work etc. However, their strong view points on the aforementioned queerness, euthanasia, physical powers of preachers and other touchy subjects, I haven't always agreed with. This was one of the reasons I stopped attending and now its been so long, I do feel so nervous to return! I think that is one thing I do just have to get over and go. Because I don't have religious support at home, I do need it somewhere and I know that in a year or so time I'll be at uni in a different city and, hopefully, will find the church for me.

Bible wise, its not necessarily the scripture or teachings of the bible that frustrate me - but thank you so much for your willingness to help me on that. I think, because I have somehow amassed this anger against God, I don't like reading His word. A stupid analogy, but its like having an argument with a friend which makes you angry seeing any texts or messages from them. I also don't really feel anything when I read them anymore. Beforehand, when my faith was strong, I'd read the bible and feel a connection and a desire to read on but now I feel nothing.

Ah I see the dilemma. I guess even if you were getting a lift with your friend and her parents to take you, that doesn't mean you necessarily have to go into the same church if the other churches are within walking distance and have services that start/finish around the same time. But I can see how it might be difficult to approach that subject with your friend and her parents.

It can be difficult if a church you are attending is preaching on some subjects in a way that makes you feel uncomfortable. I guess it's up to you to decide whether the bits you do like/agree with are worth staying for? Like I said, I'm Roman Catholic but that doesn't mean I agree with everything or even most of the things my denomination teaches. I stick with it though because for me personally, it is the denomination that resonates the most and makes the most sense to me! And the bits I do like override all the bits I don't like.

It's nice that your church emphasis tangible experiences of God but I wonder whether that is subconsciously putting undue pressure on you to feel God at all times? For those of us who have experienced God and His love for us in a tangible way, it is a very powerful experience... but (maybe I'm just talking to/about myself here!) it can make the times we don't feel God's presence/love for us difficult and sometimes even unbearable, and that can make it hard to keep having/practising out our faith. But if we can ride out the times of (what Catholics term) desolation, that can really strengthen and solidify our faith, and make it far more richer than it would have been otherwise. It can be very tough though. I haven't felt God for several years now and I do find that rather painful and lonely :frown:

Your analogy makes perfect sense - completely get what you're saying. Is there a particular reason you're angry with God? I wonder whether it would help to do some reading about/from people who have felt anger towards God, or had a rough time with their faith? :moon: My university chaplain, when I told her how I don't feel God anymore and how my faith feels quite bleak, recommended an author called Barbara Brown Taylor:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Barbara+Taylor+Brown . I can't remember which exact book my chaplain recommended but Brown Taylor talks a lot about what she calls "lunar spirituality" or finding God in darkness. Wondering if that might help you a bit. I haven't read Brown Taylor's books yet though, so can't recommmend first-hand but my uni chaplain recommended it to me, and I trust her judgment :h:
(edited 6 years ago)
Just a little piece of advice.

Don't ever feel like you can't go back to God. He will always wait for you with open loving arms, ready to guide you back into faith. I have definitely felt the way you have and praying for God to take control was what I did. The more you pray, the more He will connect with you.

Hope that helps!
Hi
Sorry you're struggling. In some ways it's a good thing. We're human so it's important to question what and why.
The church you go to certainly doesn't sound like it's the right fit for you. It wouldn't be for me either!
My church is very focussed on acceptance and love regardless. It's not for us to judge. I'll leave that to God
What denomination is it?
Is there no way for you to get to another?
I'm sure your Christian friends would be happy to still give you a lift if you then walked to another
From a Christian point of view, church is better than no church!
Have you tried asking?
Ultimately when you go to uni there will be loads of options in a city to try. Some CU's can be very intolerant and hard line so watch out for that
God bless
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by lowza
Thank you so much - that is so lovely of you. I hope so too:smile:

You're welcome :smile:
God willing.
Reply 11
Original post by MilkyWest87
Just a little piece of advice.

Don't ever feel like you can't go back to God. He will always wait for you with open loving arms, ready to guide you back into faith. I have definitely felt the way you have and praying for God to take control was what I did. The more you pray, the more He will connect with you.

Hope that helps!

Thank you. I guess I have felt like that a bit, even though I know that its wrong.

I'll take your advice - I'm really hoping He will.
Reply 12
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Ah I see the dilemma. I guess even if you were getting a lift with your friend and her parents to take you, that doesn't mean you necessarily have to go into the same church if the other churches are within walking distance and have services that start/finish around the same time. But I can see how it might be difficult to approach that subject with your friend and her parents.

It can be difficult if a church you are attending is preaching on some subjects in a way that makes you feel uncomfortable. I guess it's up to you to decide whether the bits you do like/agree with are worth staying for? Like I said, I'm Roman Catholic but that doesn't mean I agree with everything or even most of the things my denomination teaches. I stick with it though because for me personally, it is the denomination that resonates the most and makes the most sense to me! And the bits I do like override all the bits I don't like.

It's nice that your church emphasis tangible experiences of God but I wonder whether that is subconsciously putting undue pressure on you to feel God at all times? For those of us who have experienced God and His love for us in a tangible way, it is a very powerful experience... but (maybe I'm just talking to/about myself here!) it can make the times we don't feel God's presence/love for us difficult and sometimes even unbearable, and that can make it hard to keep having/practising out our faith. But if we can ride out the times of (what Catholics term) desolation, that can really strengthen and solidify our faith, and make it far more richer than it would have been otherwise. It can be very tough though. I haven't felt God for several years now and I do find that rather painful and lonely :frown:

Your analogy makes perfect sense - completely get what you're saying. Is there a particular reason you're angry with God? I wonder whether it would help to do some reading about/from people who have felt anger towards God, or had a rough time with their faith? :moon: My university chaplain, when I told her how I don't feel God anymore and how my faith feels quite bleak, recommended an author called Barbara Brown Taylor:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Barbara+Taylor+Brown . I can't remember which exact book my chaplain recommended but Brown Taylor talks a lot about what she calls "lunar spirituality" or finding God in darkness. Wondering if that might help you a bit. I haven't read Brown Taylor's books yet though, so can't recommmend first-hand but my uni chaplain recommended it to me, and I trust her judgment :h:

Wow - thank you SO much. You're amazing, really.

What you've said about the church putting pressure on tangible experience is a bit of an epiphany moment actually. I totally feel that, and didn't realise I did until you've just pointed it out to me. I think its also because I definitely have and really, really long for that feeling again but it hasn't happened so I feel a tad cast aside even when I know He obviously wouldn't. I empathise with you, it really sucks. Here's to hoping it's a test which will force me to become stronger.

Thank you so much for the author recommendation - that might be really helpful actually. I don't really know why I'm angry at God, I think its because I don't feel him. I read of all these incredible experiences people have had, miracles in the bible or real life testimonies and it frustrates me as to why it hasn't happened to me. It sounds a bit selfish - but maybe that is where my anger lies.
Original post by lowza

I'm an Atheist.

I haven't read my bible in ages as I've felt this strange anger towards it and sometimes its immensity stresses me out

For many parts, that's a perfectly rational reaction.

and I'm struggling to connect with my one Christian friend because we're at such different points in our journey with faith. The times I've tried to just pray or listen to hymns etc I only get frustrated and I don't have a pastor or a strong, non-judging figure of faith I can talk to and I feel like I have all this pent up upset that I can neither control or let out.

Do you know what you're upset about?

You talk about 'faith' as if it's some admirable quality. It's definition is remarkably similar to gullibility.

There is no evidence for a god, and we certainly don't live in the perfect world that any deserving of recognition would provide. Science now explains so much of what people created gods to hide their lack of an explanation for, that there simply is no reason to even suggest that one exists.
Reply 14
Original post by Sammylou40
Hi
Sorry you're struggling. In some ways it's a good thing. We're human so it's important to question what and why.
The church you go to certainly doesn't sound like it's the right fit for you. It wouldn't be for me either!
My church is very focussed on acceptance and love regardless. It's not for us to judge. I'll leave that to God
What denomination is it?
Is there no way for you to get to another?
I'm sure your Christian friends would be happy to still give you a lift if you then walked to another
From a Christian point of view, church is better than no church!
Have you tried asking?
Ultimately when you go to uni there will be loads of options in a city to try. Some CU's can be very intolerant and hard line so watch out for that
God bless

Yes!! I totally agree on it being GOD'S place to judge us and not our responsibility or right - I mean Luke 6:42 pretty much sums that up. That's really my only problem with my church - and its pentecostal which I do love. I'm reluctant to ask them to take me to another church as it feels like a bit of an exploitation of their good will to bring me in the first place. Also, I feel like I'd prefer to go to a church I know with a friend (even if I don't always agree with it) over one I don't know alone.

Yeah - I'm really holding out for uni. I live in such an uncultured, tiny place - I can't wait to be in a city where I can have some more choice.

Thank you:smile:
Original post by Nathan Scott
some people aren't even willing to devote any of their time to God (atheists) and you aren't one of them so you're already a step a head.

Atheists typically spend their time on things that exist. If you think that you're a step ahead, you're walking in the wrong direction.
Reply 16
Original post by lowza

you are leaving the honeymoon phase. there's not much you can do to get that beginner's euphoria back. you have to go back to normal life now. it's like drugs, the effects get lower over time.
Original post by lowza
Wow - thank you SO much. You're amazing, really.

What you've said about the church putting pressure on tangible experience is a bit of an epiphany moment actually. I totally feel that, and didn't realise I did until you've just pointed it out to me. I think its also because I definitely have and really, really long for that feeling again but it hasn't happened so I feel a tad cast aside even when I know He obviously wouldn't. I empathise with you, it really sucks. Here's to hoping it's a test which will force me to become stronger.

Thank you so much for the author recommendation - that might be really helpful actually. I don't really know why I'm angry at God, I think its because I don't feel him. I read of all these incredible experiences people have had, miracles in the bible or real life testimonies and it frustrates me as to why it hasn't happened to me. It sounds a bit selfish - but maybe that is where my anger lies.

Really glad you found what I wrote helpful - wasn't sure if I was speaking out of turn or not :colondollar: It can be really difficult, reading other people's experiences of God and how happy they are in/with their faith and the amazing things they've experienced, and not feeling that (anymore) yourself :sadnod: I don't think it's particularly selfish to feel angry that these things haven't/aren't happening to you - it's quite understandable for me anyway, especially if your denomination emphasises such experiences. Feeling God and then not feeling God anymore can lead to doubts or make you feel like you've failed or are forsaken by God in some way. But like someone else said, He's very much here and loves you just the same: it's just (for whatever reason) you can't feel it at the moment.

Try and hang on in there if you can, though. I do think learning to cope without the warm fuzzies faith can sometimes bring can be a useful life skill, because life isn't always going to be good and sometimes you may have more of a sense of God than at other times. I often find the Footprints prayer-poem quite a useful one to remember at times like this. Or to contemplate difficult times in the Bible that are not necessarily explicitly mentioned. Like there's not much detail about the disciples of Jesus between Jesus' crucifixion and the Resurrection, or between the Ascension and Pentecost, but think about how scared and lonely they must have been. One minute Jesus had been there and very much with them and present and looking after them. Suddenly He was gone, and all they had to hold onto was a mysterious promise that God would triumph/that someone would come after Jesus ascended. They must have felt very lonely and confused too :sadnod: Or think of Emmaus, when two disciples walk and talk with Jesus but they do not recognise Him! :smile:
I'm a Roman Catholic but am quite lapsed nowadays. I don't feel comfortable with organised religion; attending Mass at a certain time, etc. It feels fake; like "oh it's Sunday at ten o'clock, so time to pray". I pray every day of my life. Just speak to God in your own way using your own words. Build your own personal relationship with Him. I don't see God as some vengeful Deity who we have to be afraid of. I see him as a Father; guiding me and understanding me and my weaknesses like no other. Just feel what's in your heart.
Hey sis x

All I advice you to do is pray to God he guides you to the straight path and if you aim all your prayers to the only him with lots of hope in you that he's there and will listen to you, no doubt if God is willing he will answer them :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending