The Student Room Group

In which London borough should I NOT rent a flat?

Scroll to see replies

I recommend Camden 💕

Posted from TSR Mobile
A quick search of Zoopla suggests you could find a studio or 1 bed flat in Richmond (not the town itself, which is pretty pricey, but somewhere like Hampton or Teddington) for somewhere in the region of £800 pcm, but bear in mind that the cost of living in a gentrified area like that would also be quote high. From that general area it would usually take just under an hour to get to the city centre on the train.
Reply 22

Thank you for that list, but why these boroughs are considered as bad to live? For the example redbridge-I've seen nice apartment there and I'm really wonder why is it on this list?
Reply 23
Original post by Moonstruck16
I recommend Camden 💕

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you live in Camden?
Original post by seamoon
Also I know that it's not politically correct but I don't want to live in the muslim borough like Tower Hamlets.

London is one of the most diverse cities in the world. There will be Muslims, Jewish people, Africans, Asians and Polish people in every borough. If those people are going to make you "uncomfortable" then there are very few places in London where you could live on your budget.

I'd suggest moving to another city if ethnic diversity is really that much of an issue for you. £700 a month is not enough to live alone in an "upper class" borough like Kensington, unless you decide to house-share.
Reply 25
Original post by Petulia
London is one of the most diverse cities in the world. There will be Muslims, Jewish people, Africans, Asians and Polish people in every borough. If those people are going to make you "uncomfortable" then there are very few places in London where you could live on your budget.

I'd suggest moving to another city if ethnic diversity is really that much of an issue for you. £700 a month is not enough to live alone in an "upper class" borough like Kensington, unless you decide to house-share.

Uh, I knew that someone will say something about that, it is really scary tho.
I'm aware about how big ethnic diversity is in London. I have nothing against any race or any religion, the problem is that those races and religions have something against white, christian people (especially muslims). This is not even my choice to not live in those communities, this is just a sober thinking and preventing myself from troubles.
Original post by seamoon
I have nothing against any race or any religion, the problem is that those races and religions have something against white, christian people (especially muslims).

I'd love to know where you heard this. From the way London is looking right now, it seems to be the other way around.

If you were open, you would book viewings for the apartments you're interested in, regardless of where they are, and take a look at the area for yourself when you go. If anything, ethnic minorities are more welcoming, and less likely to single you out.
There are plenty of white people living in these parts of London.
None of them.
Whatever you do, don't move to Southall or Harlesden.
Just look at the ones that voted Labour and avoid them.
Go to either north or west boroughs, avoid the south and east.
Reply 31
Original post by Petulia
I'd love to know where you heard this. From the way London is looking right now, it seems to be the other way around.

Why are you assuming that I've heard that? Maybe I personally experienced this kind of behavior?
Original post by seamoon
I desperately want to live by myself, so probably I would be even able to handle living next to the airport, ahaha. I don't mind commuting. I don't find living close to centre with other strange people attractive, so if I will find a place with affordable price and 1 hour from centre I would still get it.

You'd be willing to live somewhere with planes going over your house (hatton cross is built at the end of the flight path) every 90 seconds or so? Rather you than me =P

If you're that determined to do it the cheapest one bed flat on rightmove is £895 then remember to factor in the £231 each month for travel :smile:

Where abouts will you be working/studying?
Original post by mrwb9876
Really? Utter nonsense, they are rude and will call you in their stupid non-english languages, commit crimes against you, all while trying to get all your money. Avoid foreigners like the plague.

There has been a huge surge in acid attacks in London.... on ethnic minorities. Resham Khan and her cousin spread their story all over social media, as well as photos of the white man who did it, and is very well known in the area. Did the police bother to go track him down and find him? No. He turned himself in 2 weeks later after seeing all the articles about himself.

5 London mosques were sent threatening letters on the same day.

2 white men drove past a Muslim woman outside a mosque, and threw a bucket of water on her, in an attempt to imitate the acid attacks and create more fear.

A white man hired a van specifically to drive into worshippers outside Finsbury Park Mosque after evening prayers. He killed 2 people, and yet the Imam still protected him from those trying to hurt him.

This has all happened in the last month.

I'm sure if a church received threatening letters, or if a white man had acid thrown onto him, you would have heard all about it.

Please tell me more about how ethnic minorities are committing crimes against you.
People like you are the reason why ethnic minorities don't feel safe in London anymore. You are the problem, not them.
Original post by seamoon
Why are you assuming that I've heard that? Maybe I personally experienced this kind of behavior?

(Original post by seamoon)
I have nothing against any race or any religion, the problem is that those races and religions have something against white, christian people (especially muslims).

You are the one who made the assumption that all Muslims and all ethnic minorities have something against white people.
Reply 35
Original post by Jackieox
You'd be willing to live somewhere with planes going over your house (hatton cross is built at the end of the flight path) every 90 seconds or so? Rather you than me =P

If you're that determined to do it the cheapest one bed flat on rightmove is £895 then remember to factor in the £231 each month for travel :smile:

Where abouts will you be working/studying?

I'm taking a gap year, so definietely I will be working, but where I don't know yet. As I know many languages and I have some skills connected to industry that I want to work in after gettin' a degree, I hope that I'll be able to find something connected to my profession. If not-I will work as other students do (gastronomy, store worker etc). Probably in this situation I won't be able to rent a one bedroom flat, meh.
boroughs in greater london such as richmond upon thames are extremely expensive with high council taxes. there are cheaper ones such as harrow and brent and hillingdon but on the other side of london.

that depends if you have any preferences if you want to live close to specific places etc.
Original post by 20320452
Not sure where not to rent but I'd recommend Enfield. It's the greenest borough in London with low air pollution and relatively safe. Also has direct train links to London Liverpool street station in half an hour, and from there you can take most tubes

Just be careful some parts of Enfield are dangerous. There are regular stabbings there. But i agree some parts are definitely lovely.
Reply 38
Original post by Petulia
(Original post by seamoon)

You are the one who made the assumption that all Muslims and all ethnic minorities have something against white people.

I don't think that you are reading with an understanding. xD I don't want to live in a Muslim borough cause I have a bad experience with this kind of living (this is not assumption, I'm basing this on my own experience). Just because you know Muslims who have an attitude as normal, sane person, doesn't mean that every Muslim does lol. Muslim people tend to not assimilate and this is just a reality, if you are not one of them it's not good for you to live with them. In fact, this is how it is in many communities, I don't really understand why are you taking care of this part of my statement as I don't mean anything rude. This is how people work if they migrate-they create their own communities and some boroughs are more Muslim than British (they can also be more African, Polish, Jewish and so on). I have a right to not want to live in boroughs like that.
(edited 6 years ago)
As you have not said or know where you will be working, all I can suggest is remain in civilisation, which is north of the Thames. Try to be near an Underground line as they run more frequently and many through the night at weekends. Avoid anywhere served by Southern trains given their current issues, or Thameslink/Great Northern who have high levels of train cancellations at weekends.

Quick Reply

Latest