The Student Room Group

a levels via distance learning

Im not sure whether I classify as a "mature student" per se BUT I haven't been able to find any help in the 'a-level' section so I thought I would post my question on here in the hopes that some older students who may have taken an unconventional route (such as distance learning a levels) would be able to recount to me their experiences and which provider(s) they recommend

So I'm thinking of doing 3 a levels in humanity subjects (undecided, but looking at law, psychology, politics&government, sociology, history, etc but not english) via distance learning, but I'm not sure which provider I should go with or whether I'll be able to get an A* grade in them. My questions are;
1) how hard/diffficult is it to get an A or A* grade via distance learning/ what does it take to get an A* grade in humanities in distance learning alevels?
2) Which distance learning provider would you recommend? (I've found quite a few such as NEC, ICS, oxford, distance learning centre, etc. I've heard bad reviews of the ICS and DLC so I'm currently leaning to NEC because it seems that with the oxford one there's a lot of independent additional payments you'll need to do if you want things such as predicted grades whereas NEC includes them in their upfront costs and also will find an examination center/school in order for you to take your exams).

Anyways, it would be most helpful if someone was to help me in regards to giving me some advice as to these two questions :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by LilyRose00x
Im not sure whether I classify as a "mature student" per se BUT I haven't been able to find any help in the 'a-level' section so I thought I would post my question on here.

So I'm thinking of doing 3 a levels in humanity subjects (undecided, but looking at law, psychology, politics&government, sociology, history, etc but not english) via distance learning, but I'm not sure which provider I should go with or whether I have the correct mindset in order to finish and get A* grades via distance learning. I've googled and done some youtube searches trying to find experiences of online distance learners and I've only come across one in the uk, while the rest are in america. however, from what the videos said you have to be self motivated etc (which I sometimes stuggle with but I'm been working on this and surprisingly I've improved trememndously. I thinkg by the end of august/September my discipline and self motivation will be in check. But as I said, since the majority of the online learning experiences are from America, they obviously don't do a levels so I'm struggling to find reviews of good a level providers and what to inspect when you study a levels onlne.

If anyone can both tell me their experience with doing a levels online, and/or which are good a level distance learning providers, that would be most appreciated. :smile:

Why do you want to take A levels? What is your end goal?

You said in another post that you have a CertHE which you received after failing the last year of a LLB. As you've already been at a university for three years, you won't get a full student loan to do another degree elsewhere (if you start a 3 year degree then you will have to pay the tuition fees for the first two years yourself). If you want a degree then your best option is to transfer your existing university credits into the Open University or a top-up degree.
Reply 2
Original post by Snufkin
Why do you want to take A levels? What is your end goal?

You said in another post that you have a CertHE which you received after failing the last year of a LLB. As you've already been at a university for three years, you won't get a full student loan to do another degree elsewhere (if you start a 3 year degree then you will have to pay the tuition fees for the first two years yourself). If you want a degree then your best option is to transfer your existing university credits into the Open University or a top-up degree.

my end goal is a law degree.
I self funded when I was at uni before and didn't use the student loan so that isn't a problem for me. Also, I'm hoping to apply to a uni in scotland that does english&welsh law or I could just simply do scottish law. (I'm hoping for scotland since the tuition fees are free)
my end goal is a law degree.
I self funded when I was at uni before and didn't use the student loan so that isn't a problem for me. Also, I'm hoping to apply to a uni in scotland that does english&welsh law or I could just simply do scottish law. (I'm hoping for scotland since the tuition fees are free)

As far as I'm aware, it doesn't matter if you self-funded or took out a loan, what matters is that you were at university for three years. Do you currently live in Scotland?
Reply 4
Original post by Snufkin
As far as I'm aware, it doesn't matter if you self-funded or took out a loan, what matters is that you were at university for three years. Do you currently live in Scotland?

ohh..I didn't know that about the loans. hmm will need to think about how to fund myself if I go to a uni in the south

I'm not currently living in scotland...why? :smile:...
ohh..I didn't know that about the loans. hmm will need to think about how to fund myself if I go to a uni in the south

I'm not currently living in scotland...why? :smile:...

Becuase university is only free for Scottish students, if you live in England, Wales or Northern Ireland and go to a Scottish university then you will have to pay fees.
Reply 6
Original post by Snufkin
Becuase university is only free for Scottish students, if you live in England, Wales or Northern Ireland and go to a Scottish university then you will have to pay fees.

awww kay. My parents told me that but I wasn't sure lol. They're fine with paying for it though which is nice of them.
Thanks for all the info thoh, it is much appreciated
Reply 7
I am currently studying an Access To Nursing course with Distance Learning Centre and have found it to be great. Lots of support, good payment plan, well planned out assignments and I have received an unconditional offer to study Nursing for March 2018. I read a few bad reviews about them before I signed up but it just seemed to be a few bitter people who signed up to the payment plan but then didn't like it when they actually had to pay. Hope this helps, good luck! X

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending