The Student Room Group

In which London borough should I NOT rent a flat?

Scroll to see replies

Havering is most likely one of the cheaper London boroughs to live in, what with it being on the London-Essex border (more Essex than London). In my experience, properties in Newham are expensive af despite being very poor in terms of quality.
Original post by squirrology
There is some "bad" in most, if not, all London boroughs, some places in London are just more bad than others.

I would personally say avoid certain parts of East London - Newham area i.e Upton Park, Forest Gate etc. and Barking & Dagenham, A guy who I vaguely knew was unfortunately stabbed in Dagenham last year.

East London is the best place or a student budget.

Barking and Dagenham can be quite dangerous - don't think Newham is that bad.
Original post by angelike1
East London is the best place or a student budget.

Barking and Dagenham can be quite dangerous - don't think Newham is that bad.

Yes, I agree that East London is best for a student budget. There are some "decent" parts of Newham but I wouldn't recommend this person going to East Ham for example. In my opinion, I would choose Havering borough in terms of budget.
Since you don't want to live in a "Muslim majority" area, avoid certain boroughs in East London e.g. Tower Hamlets, Newham. London is a multicultural city and hopefully, if you do move here your views will change.
Original post by bobby147
What is wrong with Barking ?

Pretty sure they just copy and pasted all of the boroughs of London?
Look, any borough in London other than perhaps Richmond-upon-Thames has a lot of **** areas. You can't really distinguish the shitiness of Edmonton vs Lewisham, Uxbridge vs Croydon, Barking vs Tottenham Hale etc.

Tonnes of people will say this is fine but say the other is bad while people argue the opposite. How are you to decide for yourself? Accept that it's not going to be perfect but obviously do your research

Most of London is fine. Make sure that there are good transport links in your area and there's a few things to do. For more info consult the London subreddit on Reddit. It's superbly useful compared to TSR.
Original post by Desmos
Do you live in Camden?

Yeah. Well the place where I live is on the border of Camden and Islington but my place of study is in Camden so I'll say yes, I do :P
Original post by lalalallaa
I lived in London for 3 years, avoid Lewisham and surrounding areas like the plague. Had a guy stabbed on my road one night and there was no avoiding it they were shouting and screaming and waking everyone up.... basically don't do it. Surrounding areas include ladywell/deptford/plumstead/woolwich.
Woolwich is also pretty bad. And plummstead, had a guy stabbed with a broken bottle right next to me. Maybe just avoid south east??

I lived in Canning Town for a bit which is East, not the prettiest area but relatively safe and probably my favourite area I lived.
Central is nice, I lived in Southwark but suuuuuuuper pricey.

Honestly for price and location East is probably best as it has good links into central and avoid south East, if you have any questions about London or anything just ask.
Hope i haven't put you off too much.... :colondollar:

I would say South East London is the best area to live in London. I have lived in Deptford/ Greenwich nearly all my life (19 years) and have never had any problems or know anyone who has, you'll only have trouble if you join a gang or something. Shouting and stabbings are going to happen anywhere in a large city like London. I lived in North London for 2 years and hated it (it was boring) so we moved back to south east london.

You can be in central London in 15 minutes from Lewisham, and it's quite cheap compared to other areas of London. I also think it has more character than other areas and its becoming much 'nicer' and more hip. There's plenty to do, some bars and clubs and lots of pubs, restaurants cafes, shops and markets. Other nearby areas like Peckham and Brixton are even more gentrified so a bit more expensive but very easy to get to with lots to do too. If you want to go to a nicer area, Greenwich and Blackheath are less than 10 minutes away, although these places might be very expensive to live in.

The area is quite multicultural, like most areas of London and there are plenty of young people. I'd definitely recommend some where like Lewisham, New Cross or Deptford, Woolwich and Plumstead are nice too but a bit further out and theres probably less going on.
Reply 49
Original post by Moonstruck16
Yeah. Well the place where I live is on the border of Camden and Islington but my place of study is in Camden so I'll say yes, I do :P

If you don't mind my asking, where do you study?
Original post by Desmos
If you don't mind my asking, where do you study?

UCL
Reply 51
Original post by Ladymusiclover
Since you don't want to live in a "Muslim majority" area, avoid certain boroughs in East London e.g. Tower Hamlets, Newham. London is a multicultural city and hopefully, if you do move here your views will change.

As I said earlier-I don't mind if someone has different religion or race. The thing is that some cultures don't want to asimilate and they won't treat you right cause they are not tolerant. Muslims may be tolerant, but some of them are not. The same is with British people and the same is with Americans or with any different nation. People are different but I'm not gonna take a risk and let myself thinking-maybe I will end up in a borough with friendly Muslims, or maybe I will end up with extremists.
Gosh, people, is this really weird that someone doesn't want to be in the environment where 90% of people is from different religion/culture? London is surely multicultural, but some boroughs are like the fragment of totally different country and I don't want to be in those boroughs, because I have my reasons.
Original post by seamoon
As I said earlier-I don't mind if someone has different religion or race. The thing is that some cultures don't want to asimilate and they won't treat you right cause they are not tolerant. Muslims may be tolerant, but some of them are not. The same is with British people and the same is with Americans or with any different nation. People are different but I'm not gonna take a risk and let myself thinking-maybe I will end up in a borough with friendly Muslims, or maybe I will end up with extremists.
Gosh, people, is this really weird that someone doesn't want to be in the environment where 90% of people is from different religion/culture? London is surely multicultural, but some boroughs are like the fragment of totally different country and I don't want to be in those boroughs, because I have my reasons.

I understand what you mean. Coming to London most likely won't change you views.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 53
I understand what you mean. Coming to London most likely won't change you views.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But even if so...I don't think that I have racist and rude views. That's why I'm a little bit annoyed by those replies, I feel like wanting to live in british borough in London (for god's sake, british capital) was an insult.
Reply 54
UCL

Which degree are you studying for?
Original post by seamoon
I feel like wanting to live in british borough in London (for god's sake, british capital) was an insult.

You're about 35 years too late to do this. London is a global city, and a large number white British people have moved out long since.
Original post by bobby147
What is wrong with Barking ?

It's just a list of every borough in London. Don't worry, Barking is awesome.
Original post by Cubone-r
None of them. London is a horrible place to live nowadays.

Is it as crowded as everyone like to say?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TagridS
Is it as crowded as everyone like to say?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's overcrowded yes, you can't go into a coffee shop without queuing for 30 minutes. No one talks to each other. It's stupidly expensive and massively overrated in my opinion - there are far superior places to live in the UK that provide a higher quality of life if you don't have millions of pounds to spare.
Original post by seamoon

In my opinion you are being perfectly reasonable. I have seen a number of threads on university forums from Muslim individuals who are asking if there are any other Muslims out there who would like to do a "Muslim-only" flat share.. why? Because they do not want to live with non-Muslims clearly, but no one says anything... all of a sudden if it's the other way around you get hammered..

Quick Reply

Latest