The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zombie-dance
I share your opinion! I developed bad acne when I was around 15 or so and had it bad for a couple of years. I tried everything including loads of different face washes, scrubs, home remedies, toners, moisturisers, different medication from the doctors and nothing worked. One day, I stumbled across the caveman regime which is basically doing nothing to your face, and since doing that, my skin has completely cleared up and I'm just left with a few ice pick scars on my cheeks. I now have no skincare routine except from using a raw honey face mask twice a week and I'm finally happy with my skin :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

What's the caveman routine? I get lots of pustules despite the fforts of using an exfoliating face wash, toning and moisturising :frown:

I ahavent got severe acne but it's definitely not mild because I must have at least 50 pustule scars from popping...

What kind of acne did you suffer and can you explain the caveman routine or is it as simple as not washing your face?
Original post by BTAnonymous
What's the caveman routine? I get lots of pustules despite the fforts of using an exfoliating face wash, toning and moisturising :frown:

I ahavent got severe acne but it's definitely not mild because I must have at least 50 pustule scars from popping...

What kind of acne did you suffer and can you explain the caveman routine or is it as simple as not washing your face?

I never had pustules or cystic acne, it was mostly just really red spots all over my face and some whiteheads. Like you, I would say mine was not mild but also not really severe as it was pretty much only on my cheeks. And yep, it's as simple as that :smile: or just splash warm water on your face every morning. Bear in mind, when I first switched to this routine, I did experience a lot of flakiness and whiteheads as my skin was adjusting I suppose, but stick with it and after a couple weeks I think you can exfoliate the dead skin (it's been so long since I started this routine I've sort of forgotten how my skin was when I eased into it, but there are a plenty of blog posts/youtube videos you can watch to help you out). I hope it works for you like it did for me :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by queenofswords
I hate the look and feel of foundation. It also takes ages to put on. So I invest in skincare instead. Not just lux brands but professional brands from dermatologists that actually work.

I use a fruit acid based cleanser, prescription strength hyroquinone and tretinoin twice a day.I use Bioderma micellar water toner half way through the day to refresh and spf when I leave the house. It's not about have a hundred things in your skincare routine, its about using 2 or 3 products that actually work.

I only wear eye make up, lipstick and blush/ highlighter- it saves times and feels better.

I was partly inspired to ditch foundation by these two beauty guru's on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bWhi36NCEU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7ehT4BBTZQ

What is the difference between skincare products and foundation :colondollar:?
Hydroquinone ,are you bleaching :confused:?One of my friends used it in some cream to bleach.
Original post by bobby147
Hydroquinone ,are you bleaching :confused:?One of my friends used it in some cream to bleach.

Foundation is that skin colored stuff people put on their face to hide skin imperfections. But I prefer dealing with imperfections, instead of wasting time on covering them if that makes sense.

Yeah its prescribed , not bleaching its for even skin tone.
(edited 6 years ago)
Foundation is that skin colored stuff people slap over their face to hide skin imperfections.

Yeah its prescribed , not bleaching its for even skin tone.

You got it prescribed ?
It might be used to even skin tone,but it is well known as a skin bleacher
http://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-87530/hydroquinone-skin-bleaching-topical/details
https://www.drugs.com/cdi/hydroquinone-cream.html
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/cosmetic-treatments-guide/Pages/skin-lightening.aspx
or is that what you mean by even skin tone ?
I am clueless on fashion and beauty vocabulary:colondollar: .
Reply 25
Original post by georgiewhitez10
I get them occasionally, maybe once or twice a year and on the days that I do I don't put any makeup on them, it seems stupid to me to cover an area that's already breaking out with a loud of stuff, seems kinda gross actually :s-smilie:

A tip that my mum gave me actually, that works amazingly, I wonder if anyone else has ever done it haha, I only use it if I need to go out somewhere or for some occasion and I suddenly have a spot or something I sort it out and then apply a tiny bit of toothpaste to it and leave it for about 10 minutes, then I wash it off and it's pretty much gone...I don't know why or how it works but it does! She just said never to put loads on or leave it for a really really long time as it'll dry the skin area that it's on but that's one amazing trick I have haha

Yeah. Also diet can be a factor. I've started cutting sugar and drinking a lot more water and I feel even better. I only really started using products for my face since I grew out a beard and that needed cleaning too.

I get the occasional spot whenever I'm stressed but I just leave it.. I just might be quite lucky. I do feel for you though. Different things work for different people, but I'm a firm believer of less is more the case of skin care, generally speaking of course.
My skin looks best when I leave it the **** alone
You got it prescribed ?
It might be used to even skin tone,but it is well known as a skin bleacher
http://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-87530/hydroquinone-skin-bleaching-topical/details
https://www.drugs.com/cdi/hydroquinone-cream.html
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/cosmetic-treatments-guide/Pages/skin-lightening.aspx
or is that what you mean by even skin tone ?
I am clueless on fashion and beauty vocabulary:colondollar: .

erm, I had a problem of picking off my skin until it bled when I got anxious so was prescribed it to bleach scars.
Skin is clear now so I use it to maintain an even skin tone.
(edited 6 years ago)
erm, I had a problem of picking off my skin until it bled when I got anxious so was prescribed it to bleach scars.
Skin is clear now so I use it to maintain an even skin tone.

Alright.
Wait,you can pick skin ?How strong are you ?I am pinching my skin and I have no idea how I would do it :confused:?
Why does your edit say 18:41,is it not 19:41?Has time been moved an hour backward ?
I am so confused right now.
(edited 6 years ago)

lol skincare is like moisturisers, face masks, exfoliators
Basically to make your skin healthy and pretty

foundation is used to cover your imperfections. personally I prefer the former.

hydroquinone is only bleaching if it is in high doses. 2% is only what the doctors usually prescribes to get rid of hyperpigmemtation
Alright.
Wait,you can pick skin ?How strong are you ?I am pinching my skin and I have no idea how I would do it :confused:?
Why does your edit say 18:41,is it not 19:41?Has time been moved an hour backward ?
I am so confused right now.

.... its a disorder
Original post by loveleest
lol skincare is like moisturisers, face masks, exfoliators
Basically to make your skin healthy and pretty

foundation is used to cover your imperfections. personally I prefer the former.

hydroquinone is only bleaching if it is in high doses. 2% is only what the doctors usually prescribes to get rid of hyperpigmemtation

Alright,thanks.
This makes more sense now.
So you have to use hydroquinone in high doses to bleach .
.... its a disorder

So in anxiety disorder ,you can even overcome what would usually prevent you not doing something like this because you were that anxious ?
Sorry for asking,I just find it fascinating:smile:.
So in anxiety disorder ,you can even overcome what would usually prevent you not doing something like this because you were that anxious ?
Sorry for asking,I just find it fascinating:smile:.

well your fascination is unfortunately kinda triggering me
its called dermatillomania
Alright,thanks.
This makes more sense now.
So you have to use hydroquinone in high doses to bleach .

I think so yeah, if you use high doses of hydroqunione all over your face for a long period of time, it can be very dangerous and can cause dark patches, redding to the skin and eventually make your skin tone darker before. Even the 2% is recommended for a short period of time. That's why if you want to use it you need it prescribed and outside that is basically illegal because it can be very bad for you if used incorrectly.
well your fascination is unfortunately kinda triggering me
its called dermatillomania

I am sorry,I did not mean to make you angry :frown:.
I am sorry,I did not mean to make you angry :frown:.

its ok
Loool its so important for me :lol: but i also enjoy it?? I dunno.
Well Georgie I used to use cleansing lotions and face washes and creams in teen years (acne) but since then, I hardly use anything. If I wear makeup it's eye etc. not skin makeup usually and I dislike the look of caked skin. The only thing I still use is natural makeup removers.
Reply 39
If it aint broke, don't fix it!
If you don't feel the need to use any products, then don't. Simple.
In terms of skincare, it depends on the person and their skin-some need more help than others. If you're someone who's been blessed with naturally perfect clear skin; spending loads on skincare would probably be a waste of time as your skin already looks its best. However if you get spots regularly/really dry skin/blemishes etc you may need to look into a skincare routine. This doesn't mean that it needs to be over the top and involve a ridiculous amount of products; just something that ameliorates the problem you are having. The only thing dermatologists do reccommend for everyone, regardless of skin type, is spf. It'll help prevent more wrinkles in the long term.

Latest