The Student Room Group

I am 60 and voted leave. Young people ask me anything.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Maragaret Hewitt
Don't know.
Pass.
Don't know.

The EU is less democratic, definitely.

On what grounds do you think the EU is less democratic than the UK, when you just answered that you don't know how large parts of the EU functions?
Reply 21
I've never taken drugs in me life I did have a glass of wine the night before though!

To be quite frank, your understanding of the European referendum is rather dire! The points you have mentioned as your reasoning behind voting leave, essentially encompass the UKIP manifesto- what a coincidence their main supporters are 60+. I'm curious, did you also consider the politico-economic repercussions that we're facing now as a result of your decision; both internal and external to the UK?

I don't want to sound rude but if you claim the economic benefits of reduced migration to the Uk benefit the economy, as many other leave voters; evidences disproves such assertations and ultimately reflects the misguided views held. I sense xenophobia is a rather preeminent factor dictating people's decisions and it's rather sad, considering British values typically advocate openness...
Hello I am Margaret (just noticed that I spelt my username wrong!!) My son got me to create an account so I could answer your questions because I am older and I voted to leave the EU. Now I know some young people were not happy that we mostly voted leave while they voted remain so I shall answer your questions!

Plus, were you able to vote in the 1975 referendum? If so, which way did you vote?

What is the difference between the European Union and the Council of Europe?

What is the difference between the European Court of Justice and the European Court of Human Rights?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Cognition!
What media sources do you frequent?

Spoiler

That and the express as well.

Yourself? I would bet money on the guardian.
Original post by Jack22031994
Plus, were you able to vote in the 1975 referendum? If so, which way did you vote?

I was three days too young! I would have voted no.
I was three days too young! I would have voted no.

Okay, that must have been annoying!

You may have missed these ones as just added them:

What is the difference between the European Court of Justice and the European Court of Human Rights?
Original post by Gingerbread101
On what grounds do you think the EU is less democratic than the UK, when you just answered that you don't know how large parts of the EU functions?

I am no expert on the EU but what I do know is that the EU parliament has very little say in decisions - that's the bit that we vote for. The commissioners who we cannot remove make the decisions. Did you vote for Junker? No none of us can.
That and the express as well.

Yourself? I would bet money on the guardian.

I read several papers online. Yes, I am inclined towards the Guardian and Independent, but sometimes it's worth picking up the Daily Mail to see what fresh scaremongering it's promoting.
Hello I am Margaret (just noticed that I spelt my username wrong!!) My son got me to create an account so I could answer your questions because I am older and I voted to leave the EU. Now I know some young people were not happy that we mostly voted leave while they voted remain so I shall answer your questions!

Did you vote leave because you just wanted some drama in your life and realised that if it all cocks up, you are shielded from the damage on the most part, compared to the youth?
I am no expert on the EU but what I do know is that the EU parliament has very little say in decisions - that's the bit that we vote for. The commissioners who we cannot remove make the decisions. Did you vote for Junker? No none of us can.

Did you know that the people we elect into the EU Parliament are the ones who in turn elect the Commission?
How about that legislation can only be passed by the EU Parliament (directly elected by us) or the Council of Ministers (formed of national government ministers)? The only role the Commission has in creating legislation is initially suggesting it - all details are created by the Parliament and Council.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by RoyalSheepy
The fall in the pound strength is probs my main reason.

That's the weakest concern. If you think that's the biggest reason you're just a sheep (ironic name) on the "brexit is **** oh we're all screwed" bandwagon. The biggest problem is the possibility of being excluded from the EU trade bloc. The pound's value was far too high beforehand, by decreasing it we increased our exports as our goods are cheaper to other countries and made it more attractive for tourists to spend money in our economy and less attractive for us to buy imports. In the long run, it will stabilise (the real downside of it is that firms will pay more if they rely on imports which they can't switch to UK substitutes for), but in the short term it has boosted our exports.
Okay, that must have been annoying!

You may have missed these ones as just added them:

Oh, more quiz questions!

The EU is the organisation and the council works towards European integration apparently - don't like that.

Pass!

What a waste of money all these organisations are! No wonder there's no money for free tuition fees!
Did you consider the increase in hate crime when you voted to leave?
Original post by mashbbk
Did you vote leave because you just wanted some drama in your life and realised that if it all cocks up, you are shielded from the damage on the most part, compared to the youth?

No I did it to take back control. I find that empowering.

Tfw in one of my first lectures we were threatened with a fail if we mixed up the ECJ and ECtHR :emo:
Did you know that the people we elect into the EU Parliament are the ones who in turn elect the Commission?
How about that legislation can only be passed by the EU Parliament (directly elected by us) or the Council of Ministers (formed of national government ministers)? The only role the Commission has in creating legislation is initially suggesting it - all details are created by the Parliament and Council.

I dislike very indirect democracy. Most MEPS were UKIP ones - how come they had little influence on the commission?
Should one follow one's head or one's heart, so to speak, when voting?
Oh, more quiz questions!

The EU is the organisation and the council works towards European integration apparently - don't like that.

Pass!

What a waste of money all these organisations are! No wonder there's no money for free tuition fees!

1. Not really. the Council of Europe comprises 47 countries of Europe, and promotes human rights and democracy etc

They are two different things and are also separate from the European Council

2. The EOJ is the highest court in the EU and the ECHR rules of the Convention on Human Rights.- two different things.

Did you know that once we leave the EU, although we wont be subject to the EOJ, we will still be subject to the ECHR as we are signatories to the Convention under the Council of Europe?
(edited 6 years ago)
Tfw in one of my first lectures we were threatened with a fail if we mixed up the ECJ and ECtHR :emo:

Same here :rofl:

PRSOM
I dislike very indirect democracy. Most MEPS were UKIP ones - how come they had little influence on the commission?

And you consider the UK to be more democratic with an upper house containing hereditary peers?

Would you consider it more democratic if one country had a disproportionate amount of influence over others?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending