The Student Room Group

Former GCSE students.......

Scroll to see replies

Had a really hard paper for Maths and was convinced I'd failed it - came out with an A and still don't know how I managed it cos I made so many mistakes lol. Rest were As and A*s so seriously don't stress too much :smile:
Original post by Batgirl98
Had a really hard paper for Maths and was convinced I'd failed it - came out with an A and still don't know how I managed it cos I made so many mistakes lol. Rest were As and A*s so seriously don't stress too much :smile:

What were you expecting?
Original post by arizonaidiot
What were you expecting?

I was expecting a C to be honest :colondollar:
Original post by Batgirl98
I was expecting a C to be honest :colondollar:

That's insane.Hope something like this happens to me too.I'm expecting an A but really want an A* as my teachers have very high hopes for me.
Reply 24
Original post by TheAlchemistress
I just want to pass my Maths. Really worried about that. 😭

As long as you worked your hardest for it, there's no reason why you shouldn't get your desired grade or higher. :smile:

And just remember that the grade boundaries are going to be significantly low, which just means the odds are even more in your favour, supposing you did, of course, put the necessary amount of work in.
I came out my two English literature exams expecting a C at most. Got an A.

Art I was hoping for a B/A grade but got a C but due to my attendance, I'm not surprised now.

It is surprising but I find it's not very good to guess what you've got because you may be disappointed. Trying not to dwell on my AS results because I feel I screwed up art due to attendance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Honestly, I did way better than I expected on some papers that I considered hard. For example, in my physics paper 1, I thought I messed it up but I got a high A* and the paper I found easiest ( physics paper 3), I got less on. I panicked that I may have done worse in some papers after thinking about it a lot. However, that is a natural psychological instinct by your body.
I did well in my maths high A*'s which I was expecting because maths is something I am so passionate about.
For History and English, I was sceptical. History was my best subject but I dropped a lot of marks in the end because I didn't prepare as well for paper 2 ( nevertheless managed an A*)
For computing, I thought I wouldn't have done as well because the exams have been up and down for me. My coursework was an A* and a B so I thought I might get a B but scraped an A.
French listening was a disaster but I recovered on reading and the rest so got an A.

In conclusion, I wouldn't worry about your results. I am sure you will do a lot better than you think. Stress is a natural thing after exams and you may surprise yourself quite a bit! Just a chill till results day. Sometimes you may get disappointing results but it's important to never let that demotivate you. Sometimes remarking is successful if you're 1 or 2 marks off ( in my case this happened in French!)
If you have any more questions ( scores and anything else), just ask here!
Good luck for results day!
Original post by MezmorisedPotato
Honestly, I did way better than I expected on some papers that I considered hard. For example, in my physics paper 1, I thought I messed it up but I got a high A* and the paper I found easiest ( physics paper 3), I got less on. I panicked that I may have done worse in some papers after thinking about it a lot. However, that is a natural psychological instinct by your body.
I did well in my maths high A*'s which I was expecting because maths is something I am so passionate about.
For History and English, I was sceptical. History was my best subject but I dropped a lot of marks in the end because I didn't prepare as well for paper 2 ( nevertheless managed an A*)
For computing, I thought I wouldn't have done as well because the exams have been up and down for me. My coursework was an A* and a B so I thought I might get a B but scraped an A.
French listening was a disaster but I recovered on reading and the rest so got an A.

In conclusion, I wouldn't worry about your results. I am sure you will do a lot better than you think. Stress is a natural thing after exams and you may surprise yourself quite a bit! Just a chill till results day. Sometimes you may get disappointing results but it's important to never let that demotivate you. Sometimes remarking is successful if you're 1 or 2 marks off ( in my case this happened in French!)
If you have any more questions ( scores and anything else), just ask here!
Good luck for results day!

That's really good to hear bro.Thanks for the advice.:smile:
As you can see,i'm going to get my results soon and I am overwhelmed with a lot of stress.Former gcse students, tell me about your thoughts when you came out of the exam vs what you actually got.

For exams i thought went bad, that was reflected in my results but I still did better than i expected. For example i was aiming for an A* in lit, messed up one of the exams and thought i'd get a B/C but still scraped an A. But when i looked at the breakdown of my results, there was a dip in that particular exam but my other modules/exams picked it up. This was the same for a lot of my subjects.

What i'm trying to say is don't worry too much.. enjoy your summer.
Reply 29
In terms of business I was exactly in your boat, I thought I was going to get a C, B if I was lucky. I ended up with an A. I don't want to trick you into thinking that you'll get marvelous grades when you feel like it went badly, but more times than not (at least in my experience) the exam goes a bit better than anticipated.
Original post by 31mike
in terms of business i was exactly in your boat, i thought i was going to get a c, b if i was lucky. I ended up with an a. I don't want to trick you into thinking that you'll get marvelous grades when you feel like it went badly, but more times than not (at least in my experience) the exam goes a bit better than anticipated.

that reinvigorates me with hope.
Original post by Desmos
As long as you worked your hardest for it, there's no reason why you shouldn't get your desired grade or higher. :smile:

And just remember that the grade boundaries are going to be significantly low, which just means the odds are even more in your favour, supposing you did, of course, put the necessary amount of work in.

I would love to say I put in everything but I would be lying.
Original post by Desmos

It was by far the most horrific maths test I have ever taken.
I was completely stressed about mine, I was awake at around 4am worried sick about having to go to school to pick up my results at 8am - so I spoke to my friend who was online. We were trying to guess what each other's results would be like, and he told me that I'd get 6 A*s. I actually LOL'd cause that was never going to happen.

....But it did :awesome:
I got 6 A*s, 2 As and 3 Bs. Ran out of school with the dumbest look on my face looking for my friend to break the news that he didn't need good GCSE results cause he was going to make his fortune as a psychic. Ha!
Reply 34
It was by far the most horrific maths test I have ever taken.

Well if this is your first set of external exams, that should come as no surprise. And if you're doing A levels, this still isn't surprising since A levels are supposed to be much more difficult than GCSEs.
Wow so many students in here got better results than they expected, perhaps I might be able to get that A in maths after all:u:
I would be absolutely pissed if my results were worse than I expected
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Desmos
Well if this is your first set of external exams, that should come as no surprise. And if you're doing A levels, this still isn't surprising since A levels are supposed to be much more difficult than GCSEs.

Luckily am not doing it for a-levels, I done the new grades 9-1, where in year 10 we didn't learn anything since our teacher wasn't experienced, plus there wasn't enough samples.
Luckily am not doing it for a-levels, I done the new grades 9-1, where in year 10 we didn't learn anything since our teacher wasn't experienced, plus there wasn't enough samples.

I just hope I get my A* in maths as I'm really dubious of the exam and have made many silly mistakes.
I just hope I get my A* in maths as I'm really dubious of the exam and have made many silly mistakes.

Exactly.
Exactly.

By the way what were your mock grades?Do you think 5A* 3A is a good enough score?

Quick Reply

Latest