The Student Room Group

Really panicking over Further Maths

I'm in year 10 at the moment and this is the only result that I'm collecting in August. I keep second guessing what answers I put down and sort of tricking myself into thinking that I didn't put the answers on the unofficial mark scheme. I was really hoping for an A^ because I got it on all the past papers, but I think I only got 147/175 and I think the boundary will be higher.

The rest is deleted. I got A^ by the way :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I'm expecting to get 12 results this year (including further maths) and I am also a massive perfectionist but in the end there isn't a massive difference between an A* and an A^ so I wouldn't worry (I am really hoping for a B or an A in FM).
Reply 2
Original post by OrangeArcher
I'm expecting to get 12 results this year (including further maths) and I am also a massive perfectionist but in the end there isn't a massive difference between an A* and an A^ so I wouldn't worry (I am really hoping for a B or an A in FM).

Thanks. Good luck for results day. :smile:
What are you doing to pass the time?
Original post by Loci Pi
Thanks. Good luck for results day. :smile:
What are you doing to pass the time?

I want to be a veterinarian when I am older so I have been helping at a dairy farm and I have been going to a vets (that I have been helping at for over two years) for full days throughout the week to pass the time. I am also doing NCS and work to ease me into my A-levels. I don't know if you wanted to know the subjects I took but I did : Maths, Further Maths, English Literature, English Language, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Art. French, ICT, RS and Geography. I was predicted all A*s (except I never got a prediction for FM) but I think the best I will get is 2A*s, 7As and 3Bs but the maximum I could get due to coursework etc is 9A*s, 2As and a B.
Reply 4
I want to be a veterinarian when I am older so I have been helping at a dairy farm and I have been going to a vets (that I have been helping at for over two years) for full days throughout the week to pass the time. I am also doing NCS and work to ease me into my A-levels. I don't know if you wanted to know the subjects I took but I did : Maths, Further Maths, English Literature, English Language, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Art. French, ICT, RS and Geography. I was predicted all A*s (except I never got a prediction for FM) but I think the best I will get is 2A*s, 7As and 3Bs but the maximum I could get due to coursework etc is 9A*s, 2As and a B.

Your predicted grades are really good, congratulations :smile:
I am thinking of doing some volunteering or a job in the holidays as it sounds interesting.
Original post by Loci Pi
Your predicted grades are really good, congratulations :smile:
I am thinking of doing some volunteering or a job in the holidays as it sounds interesting.

Thank you :smile: What GCSEs are you doing atm? also what A-levels are you planning on picking and what do you want to study after A-levels?
I remember that feeling. My most important GCSE was maths(no matter what degree I did it would be heavily maths based). I got an A*. All I got from all that stress was IMO a larger number of grey hairs than I should have.
Reply 7
Thank you :smile: What GCSEs are you doing atm? also what A-levels are you planning on picking and what do you want to study after A-levels?

I do these subjects:
Maths - Edexcel
Further Maths (This year) - AQA
English Language - AQA
English Literature - AQA
Biology - Edexcel
Chemistry - Edexcel
Physics - Edexcel
Resistant Materials - WJEC
Child Development - AQA
Computer Science - OCR
French - AQA
RE - Edexcel
ECDL ICT (end of next year but the exams are really quick)

For A Levels I would like to study:
Maths
Further Maths
Statistics
Physics

After A Levels I would like to study Maths :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Coolerthanapples
I remember that feeling. My most important GCSE was maths(no matter what degree I did it would be heavily maths based). I got an A*. All I got from all that stress was IMO a larger number of grey hairs than I should have.

It's good that it all worked out well on results day. Hopefully on results day I will look back and laugh about how much I stressed out lol.
Reply 9

How did you find this year's Further Maths exams? Do you think the boundaries will be higher or lower than usual?
Reply 10
Original post by Loci Pi
I'm in year 10 at the moment and this is the only result that I'm collecting in August. I keep second guessing what answers I put down and sort of tricking myself into thinking that I didn't put the answers on the unofficial mark scheme. I was really hoping for an A^ because I got it on all the past papers, but I think I only got 147/175 and I think the boundary will be higher.

I'm so nervous for results day. I don't really have any other hobbies to distract myself with during the wait. I keep obsessing over the stupid mistakes I made and tricking myself into thinking the rest of my answers are wrong. I am a massive perfectionist and know that if I don't get an A^ I won't forgive myself or try as hard in my other GCSEs next year. In school people think of me as an A^ student and have big expectations of me. My parents don't have ridiculous expectations of me - they are proud as long as I try my best, however other students and some teachers do. They don't think I need to work hard to get good grades. No teachers ever comment on my work ethic, only my grades. I know I people have high expectations of me as in class, everyone was making sarcastic comments to me because I got 79/80 on a mock exam. There is always an element of truth in sarcasm, or they wouldn't be making comments. I think I got in between the boundary for A* or A^, so it is a 50/50 chance really depending on the boundaries. There is still 33 more days until results and I'm not really sure of what to do about how to stop stressing out over it. Any ideas of hobbies or something to do to take my mind off it. Sorry if this post seemed like bragging or something, I just really needed to rant and say how I felt.

I really don't know how year 11s are expected to cope considering they are getting like 10 results lol.

Forget about what other people say, only you know how much you actually deserve your results, as opposed to your just getting them without any effort.

And don't stress too much if you don't get A^. Apart from helping to prepare for A levels, GCSE FM is irrelevant; nobody is going to care what you got and soon you won't care too much either.

If you want to remove the stress, perhaps you could start self studying GCSE topics in preparation for next. If you supplement this with practice, you'll find yourself too busy to be stressed and freak out over a silly exam.
Reply 11
Original post by Desmos
Forget about what other people say, only you know how much you actually deserve your results, as opposed to your just getting them without any effort.

And don't stress too much if you don't get A^. Apart from helping to prepare for A levels, GCSE FM is irrelevant; nobody is going to care what you got and soon you won't care too much either.

If you want to remove the stress, perhaps you could start self studying GCSE topics in preparation for next. If you supplement this with practice, you'll find yourself too busy to be stressed and freak out over a silly exam.

Original post by Loci Pi

I'm so nervous for results day. I don't really have any other hobbies to distract myself with during the wait. I keep obsessing over the stupid mistakes I made and tricking myself into thinking the rest of my answers are wrong. I am a massive perfectionist and know that if I don't get an A^ I won't forgive myself or try as hard in my other GCSEs next year. In school people think of me as an A^ student and have big expectations of me. My parents don't have ridiculous expectations of me - they are proud as long as I try my best, however other students and some teachers do. They don't think I need to work hard to get good grades. No teachers ever comment on my work ethic, only my grades. I know I people have high expectations of me as in class, everyone was making sarcastic comments to me because I got 79/80 on a mock exam. There is always an element of truth in sarcasm, or they wouldn't be making comments. I think I got in between the boundary for A* or A^, so it is a 50/50 chance really depending on the boundaries. There is still 33 more days until results and I'm not really sure of what to do about how to stop stressing out over it. Any ideas of hobbies or something to do to take my mind off it. Sorry if this post seemed like bragging or something, I just really needed to rant and say how I felt.

I really don't know how year 11s are expected to cope considering they are getting like 10 results lol.

GCSE results honestly do not matter, like at all, unless you are going for law/medicine/oxford/lse. Pick further maths it is nothing like gcse you will enjoy it, maths AS is a pisstake if you did fm in gcse like I hardly did any work for c1/2 apart from lessons.
Reply 13
Original post by Samendra
GCSE results honestly do not matter, like at all, unless you are going for law/medicine/oxford/lse. Pick further maths it is nothing like gcse you will enjoy it, maths AS is a pisstake if you did fm in gcse like I hardly did any work for c1/2 apart from lessons.

Yes, I taught myself C1 and C2 (I'm currently learning C3), and apart from learning integration it is basically GCSE Further Maths. I'm finding C3 quite fun though. I was speaking to my teacher about it a few weeks ago and she agreed that C1 and C2 weren't that difficult, but apparently C4 is quite hard, so I'll look forward to that. At least it will help me have a head start in year 12/13 :smile:

Thanks for your advice.
Original post by Loci Pi
Yes, I taught myself C1 and C2 (I'm currently learning C3), and apart from learning integration it is basically GCSE Further Maths. I'm finding C3 quite fun though. I was speaking to my teacher about it a few weeks ago and she agreed that C1 and C2 weren't that difficult, but apparently C4 is quite hard, so I'll look forward to that. At least it will help me have a head start in year 12/13 :smile:

Thanks for your advice.

Dude, you dont need to do any of that, you can just follow the school, it isnt too hard to get A*A* in maths and fm. Phys killed me though especially if you are doing ocr a omg paper 3 ill be lucky if i get 50%. Especially if you are like me and only enjoy learning it rather than grinding through past papers, then it comes down to weather of not you do a lot of silly mistakes in the real exam. For example i did 15+50=75 in the s3 paper this year... how even..
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Loci Pi
How did you find this year's Further Maths exams? Do you think the boundaries will be higher or lower than usual?

I found paper one harder than paper two but I feel like the boundaries may be a bit lower than usual.
As long as you've put some of your maths jokes in the paper the examiner will give you bonus marks so you should be fine :redface:.
Reply 17
I found paper one harder than paper two but I feel like the boundaries may be a bit lower than usual.

I found paper 1 good but then I made loads of silly mistakes on paper 2. Hopefully the boundaries will be lower than usual. I noticed that the questions required you to think more logically than on previous years. I thought the questions on the end of paper 2 were tricky because of the way they were worded, which might of caused some people to lose marks. Some of my mistakes were really silly though, for example:

Not getting rid of the negative inequality for the rectangle's side length.
Typing cosine instead of sine on my calculator. The values were so similar though!
Giving the area of the triangle in terms of y, instead of the rectangle.
An algebra error in the quadratic simultaneous equations.

According to the paper 1 discussion, others made these mistakes so maybe the boundaries will be lower.
Reply 18
Original post by Samendra
Dude, you dont need to do any of that, you can just follow the school, it isnt too hard to get A*A* in maths and fm. Phys killed me though especially if you are doing ocr a omg paper 3 ill be lucky if i get 50%

Ok, but I find it interesting and at least it takes my mind off FM lol.
Original post by Loci Pi
I do these subjects:
Maths - Edexcel
Further Maths (This year) - AQA
English Language - AQA
English Literature - AQA
Biology - Edexcel
Chemistry - Edexcel
Physics - Edexcel
Resistant Materials - WJEC
Child Development - AQA
Computer Science - OCR
French - AQA
RE - Edexcel
ECDL ICT (end of next year but the exams are really quick)

For A Levels I would like to study:
Maths
Further Maths
Statistics
Physics

After A Levels I would like to study Maths :smile:

I take it that you've self taught maths then? No one is going to ask any awkward questions about your FM GCSE, and your peers are just a teeny bit jealous and clearly they don't appreciate the amount of hard work you put in. If anything it just shows your passion and determination that you self-taught an additional qualification a year before actually doing GCSE maths, and uni's will love that on your personal statement . I still remember the AQA FM non-calculator paper I did 2 years ago and the feeling I got after I left thinking it was the worst exam I ever did and a question asking you to prove that something simplified to tan▀ which i couldn't do. In the end I was the only person to get an A^ but it never made any difference.

If you want something mathsy to do you can always try the Senior maths challenge papers which will be something productive and interesting to do. I'm reading a few books now, you might like some of the 'feinman lectures' or 'how to teach your dog quantum physics' . Also exercise really helps to push any anxiety away and relax so you could do couch to 5k or join a casual sports club.

Quick Reply

Latest