The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ozilll
in your opinion, what is the 'easier' route in order to get a summer internship? the spring week route or directly applying to summers?

spring week
Original post by ozilll
in your opinion, what is the 'easier' route in order to get a summer internship? the spring week route or directly applying to summers?

lol try SW if you manage to convert it then dont bother applying if you dont convert then apply
Original post by Samendra
lol try SW if you manage to convert it then dont bother applying if you dont convert then apply

true true

did you go to university this year? your doing a 4 year degree, right?
Original post by ozilll
true true

did you go to university this year? your doing a 4 year degree, right?

going next year, well next academic year
The CEO of JP Morgan earned $28.2M this year...
Reply 265
Hello, I am just learning about what spring weeks are and have so many questions, but you are obviously all tired of people asking basic questions for the 100th time, so, in order to spare everyone the trouble, could anyone link me to a comprehensive guide about spring weeks (how to prepare/when prepare/what happens etc)?? Thank you!
Original post by zzas
Hello, I am just learning about what spring weeks are and have so many questions, but you are obviously all tired of people asking basic questions for the 100th time, so, in order to spare everyone the trouble, could anyone link me to a comprehensive guide about spring weeks (how to prepare/when prepare/what happens etc)?? Thank you!

Since you asked so nicely ill give you a rundown of the basics,

What are spring weeks and what happens in them?
Spring weeks are basically 1-2 weeks where you go and take part in networking sessions/workshops/team work/shadowing at a firm which can lead to being fast tracked to a summer internship in the penultimate year of university i.e. get to the final stage of the application process without having to do anything. The summer internship can lead to a full time offer. So you see why a SW/spring week is important.

How do I get on one?
You apply online through the firms website, search most/all banks and spring internship and you will get a link. They open in late august/September. Apply as early as possible as they recruit on a rolling basis so once a space is taken, its taken. Except for Goldman Sachs who review all applications after the closing date.

How do I prepare?
Make a killer CV and covering letter, you can search on a website called Mergers and Inquisitions for a template of a CV and clearing letter. Pray you get an interview and prepare for competency interview questions like: tell me about a time where you have shown leadership skills, or tell me about a time when you failed, etc. You can find a guide for this by searching WSO Interview Guide, it will be a pdf.

What is the application process like?
It differs from bank to bank but it goes something like: Online application ---> Online Tests (numerical/situational judgement) ---> Phone interview either with HR or a banker or both depending on bank ---> Assessment Centre(basically a bunch of finalists have to work in a team to achieve a task)

Also, it helps if you go to a target school (Oxbridge/LSE/UCL/Imperial/Warwick) as it is basically a positive feedback loop, more resources put into finance societies at these unis which enable more people to apply as well as more networking sessions which means more get in etc.. Also there appears to be a selection bias @Princepieman?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 267
Thanks for an in-depth response. Which part of the application process do the banks mostly prioritize? Is it interview, tests or even your CV with extra - curriculars and field experience?
Original post by zzas
Thanks for an in-depth response. Which part of the application process do the banks mostly prioritize? Is it interview, tests or even your CV with extra - curriculars and field experience?

uh.. everything? As in a CV and covering letter and online tests will decide if you get an interview and depending on the on the interview you will get an
assessment centre and depending on that you will get an offer
Original post by Samendra
uh.. everything? As in a CV and covering letter and online tests will decide if you get an interview and depending on the on the interview you will get an
assessment centre and depending on that you will get an offer

ACs aren't really common for spring weeks. Just online, telephone or ftf interviews. (actually, Rothschild had an AC last year but they're the only one I remember).

ACs are used however for conversion a fair amount - though again, it varies. Some banks have an AC at the end of the program, others a set of conversion interviews, others straight offer, others fast track to an early AC the next recruiting season.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
ACs aren't really common for spring weeks. Just online, telephone or ftf interviews. (actually, Rothschild had an AC last year but they're the only one I remember).

ACs are used however for conversion a fair amount - though again, it varies. Some banks have an AC at the end of the program, others a set of conversion interviews, others straight offer, others fast track to an early AC the next recruiting season.

Posted from TSR Mobile

do you know which does what?

like which ones have ACs at the end of the week and which have them afterwards?

thanks
Does anybody have any recommendations for numerical, verbal and situation judgement tests which I can purchase to practise on?
Original post by sonron202
Does anybody have any recommendations for numerical, verbal and situation judgement tests which I can purchase to practise on?

Apparently they aren't that difficult if uve done a level maths or equivalent so idk if it's worth buying them
Original post by hullo987
Apparently they aren't that difficult if uve done a level maths or equivalent so idk if it's worth buying them

tis worth buying, the content is fairly straightforward but you need to work on your speed/accuracy if you're not used to the tests

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hullo987

I have done maths a level and achieved an A grade but for I haven't done lots of percentage and data analysis questions so far in my degree
Original post by sonron202

graduate monkey and jobtestprep are fairly good
on general SWs, Credit Suisse's/ Morgan Stanley's SW in particular, how do they know what division you'd like to work in?

I'm stuck between two divisions and might talk about one in my initial application but end up wanting to change if I were to do the sw.

also, could someone add onto/verify my list of banks which give you an internship straight after you finish your SW?

Barc, GS, MS, Lazard, Citi, BAML, DB, CS and Rothschild.
(edited 6 years ago)
Is it worth buying both the Graduate Monkey & JobTestPrep packs or is one enough?
Original post by Jeremy Fragrance
Is it worth buying both the Graduate Monkey & JobTestPrep packs or is one enough?

one is enough
Original post by gr8wizard10
one is enough

which one would you say from your experience is the better buy?

Latest

Trending

Trending