The Student Room Group

Going abroad without telling parents.

Hey guys, I just need a bit of advice on something I've been contemplating.
I've been in a long distance relationship with my boyfriend in England for the past year. We've been best friends online for one year before, so I've known him for two years total. We've been making plans to meet this October. He doesn't have a passport, so I would be travelling over to England to meet him. However, I can't tell my parents because they are incredibly strict. In October, I'll also be in University so I won't be living with them.

We are both going to split the flight ticket so we're each only paying $350. I just don't know if the plan would work successfully, which is what I need advice on.
In October, I would just tell my parents that I'm going to be studying for exams which are coming up, but in reality I would be at the airport and flying to England.
When my parents need to contact me, I would always have wifi and I could always iMessage or Facetime Audio them. I usually talk to them every other day. I'm also going to be paying for everything myself during my travels, so they won't see any bills. I worked for a year and saved up my money so I'll be able to convert my dollars into pounds and use it. I'll call my mom every other day like usual and I'll use Facetime audio so it won't look odd.
I don't know if my plan is foolproof or if I'm not thinking of anything else? I need advice.
Also, I will be 18 at that time so I'll be of legal age to travel from the U.S to the U.K. Would my plan work?

Plus, it would be amazing to meet my long distance bf/best friend after two years of knowing each other online. I told a few of my good friends and if anything goes wrong, they said they would cover for me or pay for an emergency flight home if needed.

Not sure if this would work.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by wowiguessnot
I've been in a long distance relationship with my boyfriend in England for the past year. We've been best friends online for one year before, so I've known him for two years total. We've been making plans to meet this October. He doesn't have a passport, so I would be travelling over to England to meet him. However, I can't tell my parents because they are incredibly strict. In October, I'll also be in University so I won't be living with them.

We are both going to split the flight ticket so we're each only paying $350. I just don't know if the plan would work successfully, which is what I need advice on.
In October, I would just tell my parents that I'm going to be studying for exams which are coming up, but in reality I would be at the airport and flying to England.
When my parents need to contact me, I would always have wifi and I could always iMessage or Facetime Audio them. I usually talk to them every other day. I'm also going to be paying for everything myself during my travels, so they won't see any bills. I worked for a year and saved up my money so I'll be able to convert my dollars into pounds and use it. I'll call my mom every other day like usual and I'll use Facetime audio so it won't look odd.
I don't know if my plan is foolproof or if I'm not thinking of anything else? I need advice.
Also, I will be 18 at that time so I'll be of legal age to travel from the U.S to the U.K. Would my plan work?

Plus, it would be amazing to meet my long distance bf/best friend after two years of knowing each other online. I told a few of my good friends and if anything goes wrong, they said they would cover for me or pay for an emergency flight home if needed.

I think this is a big lie, but if you think it's your only way, go ahead with it. I see you've secured everything, but do you really really trust this friend of yours? I know you are saying it's your best friend, but are you sure he/she is a real person? There are a lot of catfish right now, so if you are lying to your parents at least make sure you are safe. And good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

x

Are sure you trust him? If your parents find out by any chance your life will be ruined, remember that.
As the above post says there is a lot of catfish going on so please be careful. And good luck:smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by TheAwesomeGuy
Are sure you trust him? If your parents find out by any chance your life will be ruined, remember that.
As the above post says there is a lot of catfish going on so please be careful. And good luck:smile:

Yeah I do trust him! We video chat every single day for hours, so I trust him completely otherwise I wouldn't even consider it.
And true, my life would possibly be ruined if they found out but I don't think there's any way they would know during/after it happens..
Yeah I do trust him! We video chat every single day for hours, so I trust him completely otherwise I wouldn't even consider it.
And true, my life would possibly be ruined if they found out but I don't think there's any way they would know during/after it happens..

Well then you are okay.:wink:
Did you tell your friends about it?
Well then you are okay.:wink:
Did you tell your friends about it?

I have told my closest friends, about three of them and they know I'm going. We are probably going to book the tickets in late August or early September. I just don't know if or how my parents would end up finding out.
Reply 6

Okay. But you have to know you are making a big decision here. Even if you think there's no way the could find out you have to be ready to face the consequences if they do. Not trying to be a killjoy here, but you have to consider it.

However, despite all said, I think it's quite awesome you got to make such a good friend online, and I really hope all your plans go well :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TagridS
Okay. But you have to know you are making a big decision here. Even if you think there's no way the could find out you have to be ready to face the consequences if they do. Not trying to be a killjoy here, but you have to consider it.

However, despite all said, I think it's quite awesome you got to make such a good friend online, and I really hope all your plans go well :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're absolutely right. The consequences would be bad but I believe that there's a slim chance I would have to face them.
Reply 8
You're absolutely right. The consequences would be bad but I believe that there's a slim chance I would have to face them.

Hopefully no. And if you think they are worth it, do it :smile: after all, it's your life, and their your parents, I can't say they will love you unconditionally because I don't know them, but most of parents do :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TagridS
Hopefully no. And if you think they are worth it, do it :smile: after all, it's your life, and their your parents, I can't say they will love you unconditionally because I don't know them, but most of parents do :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you know if my parents would be able to call my university and ask where I am? I mean I'll be 18 I don't think they'll be able to do that. They can't call the passport office and request where I am either right? If worse comes to worse, since I'm a legal adult.
Do you know if my parents would be able to call my university and ask where I am? I mean I'll be 18 I don't think they'll be able to do that. They can't call the passport office and request where I am either right? If worse comes to worse, since I'm a legal adult.

I think they will not do that if they don't suspect.. and I don't think they can call either, but I really don't know, at least in my country you can't do that
Original post by TagridS
I think they will not do that if they don't suspect.. and I don't think they can call either, but I really don't know, at least in my country you can't do that

Where are you from?

Word of warning - my niece to ld her mother she was going up North and ended up going to the States to see her "fiance". Her mother know nothing about it until she panicked because she was out of communication ( i.e. on the plane back)

She is now getting married to him - he is a total heap of horse poo and is such a pathological liar - so beware long distance. Your parents are more important. I would tell them - because if they find out you have been lying....( Only she cannot see how awful he is - all her friends hate him, her relatives can't stand him)
Where are you from?

from venezuela!
Original post by TagridS
from venezuela!

Oh I see. thanks for sharing:smile:
Maybe in your country things are different.
(edited 6 years ago)
You are willingly putting yourself into a very vulnerable situation: you will be dependent on someone you have never actually met, with your own set of high hopes and expectations, and little if not zero access to help if things are not what they seem on your arrival.

Why couldn't he fly out to the USA instead? He could easily have got himself a passport in the two years, so something's odd here. Has he ever asked you for money?
I'm sorry what? He doesn't have a passport? What so he's just stuck in England and can never move around? This sounds very fishy. Even if he is who he says he is physically. If you really want to meet him, do so, but I would put in way more security than you already have. Can't a friend come WITH you to meet him?
Like the sex slave trade is still pretty huge in Europe. Beware. I'm not insulting you or your boyfriend but there have been cases that turn out like this and the girl is never heard from again.

Alarm bells going off in my head!!!! Why can't he come over to you? I personally don't think this is a good idea if your parents don't know, especially if an emergency happens at home and you're on an aeroplane. Seems a bit sketchy
How old is he?
Does he know that you plan to come over without your parents knowledge?
Does he know that your 'life would be ruined' if they found out?

What sane, reasonable or mature person would expose someone they loved to that kind of situation? Unless they stood to gain personally and didn't care about your long term well-being.

Sounds very dodgy, even though you may not like to admit that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending