The Student Room Group

How do I know if I am good enough to take subjects at A Level?

I am certain on taking History, but it's English Literature and Maths I am more uncertain about. How do I know if I am good enough to take them?
You can use your GCSEs as a reference, although alevel are substantially harder.

You generally choose subjects you enjoy which will result in you working harder thus generally achieving a higher than grade.

Realistically, imo everyone is capable of doing any alevel but the work ethic varies from person to person by a huge amount; some people are born natural academics.
Original post by Goldfish4343
I am certain on taking History, but it's English Literature and Maths I am more uncertain about. How do I know if I am good enough to take them?

If you find GCSE English and Maths easy then that would be a good sign to take it at A-Level. Also skills like for Maths do you like solving problems?

Most schools insist on you having a C or B or above at gcse in the subject you want to do at a-level, so if you have above that- then you should do ok.
You can use your GCSEs as a reference, although a-level are harder.
You generally choose subjects you are good at and you enjoy which will result in you working harder thus generally achieving a decent grade.
Original post by SuperHuman98
If you find GCSE English and Maths easy then that would be a good sign to take it at A-Level. Also skills like for Maths do you like solving problems?

Only problem with Maths is that I am terrible at tests. I can do all the work at home and at school and even past papers, but I just can't think during exams.
Only problem with Maths is that I am terrible at tests. I can do all the work at home and at school and even past papers, but I just can't think during exams.

You should be practicing super strict exam conditions when doing past papers at home. (No music,noone around you etc.) Also when you are in the exam breath calmly before the exam, think positive confident thoughts, and I also make the fakest smile ever that calms your body down.

Also are you good with surds,fractionss,indicies,algebra those are part of the first A-level maths module

Quick Reply

Latest