The Student Room Group

Do you like debating on TSR?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Moonstruck16
I was having one with him the other day. He was making himself look like such a fool but I'll give it to him that he carried on with it for a fair bit.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I understand your point that his ideological drive sways him to incorrectly assert "evidence" to support his argument. However, you have to admire his flailing tenacity and consistency at being inconsistent.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 21
If people could debate without throwing in personal attacks, I would.

The religion debate gets boring and I don't know enough about politics to get involved anyway.
No, but if I see someone saying anything stupid, I have to say something.
Yes, though the liberals need to up their game - their comebacks consist of nothing but meaningless buzzwords.
Original post by UWS
If people could debate without throwing in personal attacks, I would.

The religion debate gets boring and I don't know enough about politics to get involved anyway.

The religious arguments are ridiculous on both sides.
Original post by The Asian Tory
I understand your point that his ideological drive sways him to incorrectly assert "evidence" to support his argument. However, you have to admire his flailing tenacity and consistency at being inconsistent.

Ofc lmao.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Moonstruck16

What does "ofc" mean?
Original post by The Asian Tory
What does "ofc" mean?

'Of course' :colondollar:
Reply 28
Yes, as long as the person I am debating is actually intelligent enough to hold a debate - i.e. able to listen and accommodate.
I enjoy debating, and challenging people's inherent assumptions. Debating is particularly good for students at University as they can challenge the authors' assumptions, and at University we are told to find flaws in existing arguments rather than just regurgitating facts. That's why when I read papers I always go to the methodology to study the foundation upon which the theories are based upon.

The thing about debating is that even if you lose, there is still a lot to be learnt from the experience itself. Debating is healthy, and a necessarily part of life.
I used to but not so much now.
No, I hate it, hence why I avoid places where debate is likely to happen. I find debates not to be worth spending my energy on.
Nope.
I'd rather debate face to face
Reply 34
Original post by ClearSky
No, but I know someone who does...

Spoiler

Really? What makes you say that?
Present an argument as to why you believe that I like debating, and I will demonstrate why it is false.
Reply 35
Original post by bobby147
Debating is awful, especially on the religious threads,from both sides.
Not really any dialogue or understanding,just people trying to score.
"Debate" and "dialogue" are two different concepts, with the former leading to a winner/loser conclusion but the latter leading to agreement/understanding.

It is not surprising that you are unhappy with debate if you are expecting it to lead to agreement and understanding! I was similarly disappointed when the ballet I attended contained no arias.
Original post by QE2
Really? What makes you say that?
Present an argument as to why you believe that I like debating, and I will demonstrate why it is false.

Sheesh, I didn't mean to trigger that temper of yours :erm:

I don't like debating, but you always seem to rally along with your arguments when I just wish we could forget it because I can't be bothered to debate.
Not because I'm wrong, because I know neither of us will admit that we are wrong as we both think we are correct.

I also wanted to ask you a few questions, if you have time.
From time to time, I'm just an argumentative person so I will start drama just because it is something to do.
Reply 38
Original post by ClearSky
Sheesh, I didn't mean to trigger that temper of yours :erm:

I don't like debating, but you always seem to rally along with your arguments when I just wish we could forget it because I can't be bothered to debate.
Not because I'm wrong, because I know neither of us will admit that we are wrong as we both think we are correct.
It was a joke! Irony, if you prefer.
I proposed a debate to demonstrate that I didn't like debating.

Jeez, you're a tough audience!

I also wanted to ask you a few questions, if you have time.
I always have time.
Original post by QE2
"Debate" and "dialogue" are two different concepts, with the former leading to a winner/loser conclusion but the latter leading to agreement/understanding.

It is not surprising that you are unhappy with debate if you are expecting it to lead to agreement and understanding! I was similarly disappointed when the ballet I attended contained no arias.

What is arias?

Quick Reply

Latest