The Student Room Group

Political correctness-is it going too far?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by seamoon
I'm from the right-wing oriented country and I'm curious how political correctness is doing in UK. I've heard many extreme stories-some people say ''right now if you are Muslim you have no calm and people may insult you without a reason''. At the other hand some people tell me: ''British people are so sick with their political correctness. When Manchester attack occured they were focusing more on ''regular'' Muslims and how the attack will affect them while they should start doing something with illegal refugees''.

It's unacceptable to insult and attack Muslims in polite society in the UK. That doesn't mean it doesn't still happen. "Political correctness" - or decent moral standards, as I'd prefer to focus on - doesn't really matter to vast swathes of the population.

In my opinion political correctness is not sane anymore. It was okay, when it was only about respect to each other, but right now I can't even say that I don't want to live in muslim borough in London (like Tower Hamlets) cause people assuming that I'm racist and I have something toward Muslims. Without any insulting, you are weird and you have ''wrong'' views just because you don't want to live in specific borough lol. xD

You did just say it. Right there. No-one is arresting you.

I don't want to live in Tower Hamlets because it is (largely) a dump. But the reason people think you are a bigot is because you say you wouldn't want to live in a "Muslim borough" (whatever one of those may be): the key issue, apparently, being the proportion of Muslims who live there.
Reply 21
Original post by Cubone-r
But no one bats an eyelid when a thread pops up on a university forum where a Muslim individual is looking for a flat share with other Muslims only. Imagine a White person posting they are looking for a flat share with Whites only... I don't think it will go down as well.

Yet I've known of several Christians at university who flatshare - and look within their little community of pretty hardcore Christians to find friends and flatmates. No-one bats an eyelid at that: it doesn't have to do with race in this situation, just how they live and shared expectations of conduct.
Original post by seamoon
What's wrong in saying ''I don't want to live in Muslim borough?".

What's wrong with just saying "I don't want to live in xxx borough?" Why mention Muslims at all? Why do you have to sure up your position with a negative quip of prejudice against Muslims?

Original post by seamoon
Muslims don't want to asimilate, I don't care if some of them are nice. The only thing that I care is that in a big group of people you can find a variety of characters-from calm, good persons to sick extermists.

You could say the same about any group. The Brits in Spain don't exactly assimilate. Nor do the Middle Classes or the Working Classes. As for extremists - well in the white camp, we have Thomas Mair who killed Jo Cox MP in a terror related attack in 2016. We have the IRA and we have the UVF. But we don't talk about hating all white people because of these people. Hatred of anyone based on prejudice is so exhausting and such a waste of energy. It sounds like you need a big hug!
Original post by TheFarmerLad
You're fat

That's just offensive. And nothing to do with political correctness or this thread. Why would you say that to anyone? Did your parents not teach you basic manners?
Original post by ByEeek
That's just offensive. And nothing to do with political correctness or this thread. Why would you say that to anyone? Did your parents not teach you basic manners?

Offensive but true. It has everything to do with Political Correctness, as someone said earlier you can't breathe properly nowadays without accidentally insulting someone. There have been times in my life that I was called skinny, yet I can't call someone fat because that's rude? How hypocritical
Original post by TheFarmerLad
Offensive but true. It has everything to do with Political Correctness, as someone said earlier you can't breathe properly nowadays without accidentally insulting someone. There have been times in my life that I was called skinny, yet I can't call someone fat because that's rude? How hypocritical

Since when have you ever been able to walk up to someone in the street and call them fat and them not be offended. Am I honestly having this conversation? This isn't political correctness gone mad, it is just you who doesn't seem to understand how manners work.

My four year-old son understands basic manners and human decency. Would you like me to put him on so that he can teach you?
Original post by ByEeek
Since when have you ever been able to walk up to someone in the street and call them fat and them not be offended. Am I honestly having this conversation? This isn't political correctness gone mad, it is just you who doesn't seem to understand how manners work.

My four year-old son understands basic manners and human decency. Would you like me to put him on so that he can teach you?

You obviously haven't been down under; the stuff they say there is considerably worse, at least in your eyes. So according to you if some lardarse is crying over being unhealthy and feeling awful about their appearance you're supposed to say "n'aww hun you look beauts, its okay just ignore them" whilst knowing full well that's it's not? She/he might initially despise you for it but overtime if improvement is made you'd receive all the praise for being honest at the time. And this is just one example.

There's a difference between having manners/decency and speaking the cold hard truth, it's just that most people don't like hearing the latter.
[video="youtube;99s19HBs-6A"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99s19HBs-6A[/video]
Political correctness went too far the moment it was created.
Reply 30
Original post by Whiskey&Freedom
Political correctness went too far the moment it was created.

I agreed with you and then I looked at your pic-I almost thought that you have Hillary Clinton on your av but luckily you don't XD
Original post by ByEeek
So go on, give me an example of something you would say to someone you didn't know, tongue-in-cheek which you feel isn't offensive, but which you feel would be shot down for being politically correct?

ok but after this i am not going to feed your apparent fixation on this.

for decades we have had corner shops owned by Pakistanis in Scotland and they have always been referred to as Paki shops ie "nip down the Pakis for a pint of milk" and it has never been intended as an offensive term because it is nothing more than a descriptive term. nowadays that same terminology could land someone in a lot of trouble even though the intention has not changed over the years. we do not have the same diversity up here as there is down south so the cultural differences are not much of an issue with the exception of the occasional small minded individuals scattered around. i cant see the owner of my old local shop (his name is Ginj) taking offence but legally there may be considerable consequences purely because of the PC brigade making blanket changes due to isolated problems. as far as we are concerned, calling someone from Pakistan a Paki is no different to calling a Scotsman a Scot or an Irishman a Paddy. local dialect is not intended as offensive language and never has been.
Original post by Richard0328
ok but after this i am not going to feed your apparent fixation on this.

for decades we have had corner shops owned by Pakistanis in Scotland and they have always been referred to as Paki shops ie "nip down the Pakis for a pint of milk"

I get that. It was the same in Yorkshire where I grew up. But Paki is a word we use to describe people from Pakistan. And generally speaking, it is used in a way that puts Pakistanis down. It is a word that makes them inferior. But what I don't understand is why you have to say, "nip down the Pakis." You would never say, "nip down the rich pink pig's" referring to Sainsbury's.
Original post by seamoon
I'm not the active user on this forum. I wanted to make my own thread with my own thoughts. If you don't like it and you see to many of it-don't comment.

Lol, no.
To find out who rules you, ask yourself who you are not allowed to criticize.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending