The Student Room Group

Journalism or Law

I can't decide. I really shouldn't decide right now because it's too early but I really want to.
I intend on taking History at Cambridge,(hopefully) but after that I want to do a postgraduate course in either Law or Journalism.
Can anyone give me some advice?
Reply 1
Good luck with History at Cambridge - that should serve you well in either career . Son also did History at Cambridge then went onto do a Masters in Journalisim - despite gaining a distinction he found it difficult finding anything that wasn't a short term contract
and spent 6 months doing unpaid internships . It's very much a career based on who you know and you would need to prepare to struggle to find anything that pays well and isn't freelance . They eventually worked for a large broadcaster but more admin based behind the scenes . Two years later, he decided to go into his first love , Law . He self funded the GDL and was lucky enough to secure two TC's just as he finished . One was SC the other MC , he went for the MC who refunded the GDL . He is sure that the commercial exposure he gained whilst in journalism went in his favour . However I'm sure he would have got there anyway . Worth considering that a large percentage of trainees , particularly in the MC are non - law graduates (English / Histiry degrees in particular) and a huge number are from Oxbridge . If you do decide to do Law after History then you need to start looking at law / commercial related work experience during university holidays . If at Cambridge it's almost impossible to work during term times due to the work load . Cambridge has fantastic links with Law firms etc and you would need to show how committed you are to the career . If you do go to Cambridge then work hard and have a great time , do not sit in your room for 3 years hoping to get a 1st - my son found employers were more interested in what other things he did whilst at university ( societies etc ) , and with a 2.1 they made him stand out . Hope this has helped - good luck
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by J-SP
There is little point deciding now. Go ahead with your degree as planned, gain work experience in both fields while you do and then make a decision in your final year of your undergraduate degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Will do.
From what I hear from journalist friends, the rise of internet news has made journalism a very difficult and insecure career. But it's early days. Do your degree first, then decide.
Original post by Albcat28
Good luck with History at Cambridge - that should serve you well in either career . Son also did History at Cambridge then went onto do a Masters in Journalisim - despite gaining a distinction he found it difficult finding anything that wasn't a short term contact and spent 6 months doing unpaid internships . It's very much a career based on who you know and you would need to prepare to struggle to find anything that pays well and isn't freelance . They eventually worked for a large broadcaster but more admin based behind the scenes . Two years he decided to go into his first love , Law . He self funded the GDL and was lucky enough to secure two TC's just as he finished . One was SC the other MC , he went for the MC who refunded the GDL . He is sure that the commercial exposure he gained whilst in journalism went in his favour . However I'm sure he would have got there anyway . Worth considering that a large percentage of trainees , particularly in the MC are non - law graduates (English / Histiry degrees in particular) and a huge number are from Oxbridge . If you do decide to do Law after History then you need to start looking at law / commercial related work experience during university holidays . If at Cambridge it's almost impossible to work during term times due to the work load . Cambridge has fantastic links with Law firms etc and you would need to show how committed you are to the career . If you do go to Cambridge then work hard and have a great time , do not sit in your room for 3 years hoping to get a 1st - my son found employers were more interested in what other things he did whilst at university ( societies etc ) , and with a 2.1 they made him stand out . Hope this has helped - good luck

This has not only helped out but it has inspired and motivated me. Awesome reply.
Original post by Albcat28
Good luck with History at Cambridge - that should serve you well in either career . Son also did History at Cambridge then went onto do a Masters in Journalisim - despite gaining a distinction he found it difficult finding anything that wasn't a short term contact and spent 6 months doing unpaid internships . It's very much a career based on who you know and you would need to prepare to struggle to find anything that pays well and isn't freelance . They eventually worked for a large broadcaster but more admin based behind the scenes . Two years he decided to go into his first love , Law . He self funded the GDL and was lucky enough to secure two TC's just as he finished . One was SC the other MC , he went for the MC who refunded the GDL . He is sure that the commercial exposure he gained whilst in journalism went in his favour . However I'm sure he would have got there anyway . Worth considering that a large percentage of trainees , particularly in the MC are non - law graduates (English / Histiry degrees in particular) and a huge number are from Oxbridge . If you do decide to do Law after History then you need to start looking at law / commercial related work experience during university holidays . If at Cambridge it's almost impossible to work during term times due to the work load . Cambridge has fantastic links with Law firms etc and you would need to show how committed you are to the career . If you do go to Cambridge then work hard and have a great time , do not sit in your room for 3 years hoping to get a 1st - my son found employers were more interested in what other things he did whilst at university ( societies etc ) , and with a 2.1 they made him stand out . Hope this has helped - good luck

Thanks so much

Quick Reply