The Student Room Group

Starting uni again two years older than most people ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by oiseaux_tropic
I had a few friends who did this because they hated their course/ failed and were chucked out etc. You should be fine and not feel too out of place, but killing time for a year kind of sucks so see if you can find something decent to do. Also make sure that your next choice is the right one because you don't want to drop out again and then be 3/4 years behind everyone else (I had a friend who did that too and at that point it got a bit weird).

Good luck!

Also look into changing course at your university to see if there is something you would enjoy more.

Thanks for the advice ; I'm putting more effort into my course in the hope it'll pay off but it is making me rather stressed I must admit :/
Reply 21
Original post by Blackstarr
If 50-60-year-olds are at university or want to go to university, how do you think you are making them feel?

I doubt they'd care. They are clearly driven by other factors than worrying what millennials think about them.
Reply 22
Original post by jneill
i doubt they'd care. They are clearly driven by other factors than worrying what millennials think about them.

prsom

:d
Original post by fefssdf
Hey so I'm currently not happy with my course for various reasons, the main being that the content doesn't interest me and I feel like I'm just drifting along and will get a poor grade. As a result I'm strongly considering quitting at the end of the year but I'd love to go to another uni and start a new course as I have one in mind but I've already missed the ucas deadline and the course in question seems quite competitive so I doubt there'd still be places; as a result I'd have to apply for 2018 entry and as a result I'd be starting uni aged 20...

is this too old to go to uni ? I'm worried I won't like it if everyone else is like 18

You are never to old to start university! I have noticed that Glyndwr University have a wide range of different aged students. I have mature students in their 50s on my course and no one treats them differently, I feel like there is a place for everyone here. If you are not happy with your course have a chat with your lecturers or any other support available, do what makes you happy!
Original post by A-LJLB
I'll be 20 when I start... definitely not too old

Pensioner more like...
Original post by trustmeimlying1
Pensioner more like...

Lucky your opinion is irrelevant, eh?
Reply 26
Original post by fefssdf
Hey so I'm currently not happy with my course for various reasons, the main being that the content doesn't interest me and I feel like I'm just drifting along and will get a poor grade. As a result I'm strongly considering quitting at the end of the year but I'd love to go to another uni and start a new course as I have one in mind but I've already missed the ucas deadline and the course in question seems quite competitive so I doubt there'd still be places; as a result I'd have to apply for 2018 entry and as a result I'd be starting uni aged 20...

is this too old to go to uni ? I'm worried I won't like it if everyone else is like 18

I started my 1st degree (design) aged 20 and I was one of the youngest in my year. I'll be starting my 2nd degree (nursing) aged 26! Age doesn't matter - just do what makes you happy! :smile: a lot of people now are studying later in life so they can save up a bit beforehand so don't worry! X
Reply 27
I'm starting university this year, and because of where my birthday falls. I'm going to be 21 and I'm not worried about it. If anything I feel more prepared than what I would have if i started at 18. I'm also going into halls, so 20 is definitely not too late. Also I'd definitely try and apply for this year, won't hurt anything! :smile:
Reply 28
Original post by mdc31
I'm starting university this year, and because of where my birthday falls. I'm going to be 21 and I'm not worried about it. If anything I feel more prepared than what I would have if i started at 18. I'm also going into halls, so 20 is definitely not too late. Also I'd definitely try and apply for this year, won't hurt anything! :smile:

This is me all over. I'll be 22 when I start this September and I am SO glad I didn't stick in sixth form (got an apprenticeship). These 4-5 years gave me so much experience and knowledge about myself and what I want, which I never had back then. My life is completely different and if I had applied in sixth form, I would currently hold a degree which is nowhere near what I want.
Reply 29
Original post by bbvii
This is me all over. I'll be 22 when I start this September and I am SO glad I didn't stick in sixth form (got an apprenticeship). These 4-5 years gave me so much experience and knowledge about myself and what I want, which I never had back then. My life is completely different and if I had applied in sixth form, I would currently hold a degree which is nowhere near what I want.

This is so true! I wouldn't be ready at 18. My 6th form didn't give me the support I needed so I don't regret leaving. We got there in the end, that's all that matters! 😊
I started mine at 28 and graduated with a 2:1 last summer, and there were a few people on the course my age and older - it really doesn't matter how old you are, but if you do start again you'll have a realistic idea of the kind of things you'll be expected to do.

One thing I would say though, is that it's really worth considering where you are in terms of grades. I was very much on course to get a third by the end of the second year, but pulled through to get my 2:1 by the time I had finished. Speak with your tutors and to get a feel for how you can go about this. I'd say it's best to be really sure that doing another course or going to another uni is really going to make you feel any different.

Whichever uni you are considering, check out their forum on here and maybe ask some of the current students how they find it. You might find that they feel the same where they are.

Whatever decision you make though, good luck with it :smile:
Original post by fefssdf

Hi, I'm sorry to hear you are not enjoying your course. But changing to a new one is a good idea if you really are not getting on with your current one. As for starting uni aged 20, you will have absolutely no problem. I started when i was 20 and i was definitely not the oldest. I am at Staffordshire university and they have a very large mature student community. I lived in halls for the first year and there were 5 girls, including me, in the flat and the other 4 were all 18 and it made no difference. I have found that it is only as big an issue as you make it yourself. Most others wouldn't know how old you were unless you told them and even then most really don't care if you are older. Please try not to let age get in your way for starting a course you want to do, you will find friends who are the same age as you and who are different ages but into the same things you are. Good luck.
Original post by fefssdf

You don't have to stick to the course you're doing if you feel you're not gonna do well. Since you haven't disclosed what course you want to do and what course you'll actually be doing, I can't say how much easy or hard it will be for you to change to a different course once you start. If you don't like a course then you can always change after first or the second week I am sure. For the age, I can only say I will be starting my course at the age of 21 so you know you're not the only one who'll be older or younger in the group. As much as it's easy to say, there are people who start courses at an older age. Just be positive about it and I am sure you'll be fine so don't worry too much about it 😊
Reply 33
Original post by anonymous_34
You don't have to stick to the course you're doing if you feel you're not gonna do well. Since you haven't disclosed what course you want to do and what course you'll actually be doing, I can't say how much easy or hard it will be for you to change to a different course once you start. If you don't like a course then you can always change after first or the second week I am sure. For the age, I can only say I will be starting my course at the age of 21 so you know you're not the only one who'll be older or younger in the group. As much as it's easy to say, there are people who start courses at an older age. Just be positive about it and I am sure you'll be fine so don't worry too much about it 😊

Hey just to say thanks for the advice but I decided to stay at my current uni as things have got a LOT better so that's good
Original post by fefssdf

I'm going to uni in September and I'll have just turned 21. Don't worry about it. There will be LOADS of people older than you :smile:
Reply 35
Original post by Hedwig2189
I'm going to uni in September and I'll have just turned 21. Don't worry about it. There will be LOADS of people older than you :smile:

Thabks for The advice but it isn't really relevant now as I've decided to stick out my course and so will be going back to my uni for second year :biggrin: hope things go well for yourself when you head off to uni. I'm sure you'll have a fabulous time. What course you doing, and at where ?

:biggrin:
Original post by fefssdf
Thabks for The advice but it isn't really relevant now as I've decided to stick out my course and so will be going back to my uni for second year :biggrin: hope things go well for yourself when you head off to uni. I'm sure you'll have a fabulous time. What course you doing, and at where ?

:biggrin:

Oh that's good! :biggrin: Glad to hear! Thanks, I'm going to Winchester to study Health and Social Care
I'm starting in September aged 24. Trust me, 20 is fine! You'll still be one of the youngest!
Reply 38
Original post by Hedwig2189
Oh that's good! :biggrin: Glad to hear! Thanks, I'm going to Winchester to study Health and Social Care

Ah nice to know x
Reply 39
Original post by Zoe_1994
Hey there, I'm starting a new uni course in September and I'll be 23 but I really don't think that's old for u i at all so u r defintirly not too old! My last course had people over 50 on it ( nursing) I think it's better to be slightly older cause ur more mature and most likely more confident and have had more experience with life so we will probably find it much easier going to uni than younger people, e.g j won't be a wreck of nerves leaving home where as younger people r probly Nervous about leaving and h aving no friends at first. I can't wait to go again - I hated having to come back to my old home town!! Good luck 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

I’m planning on doing something after I finish nursing this year as well at 21. What are you doing now? I really want to get out of this career

Quick Reply

Latest