The Student Room Group

19 and parents won't allow me to have a job

I'm 19, going to be 20 in two months and i've never had paid work. Mainly because my parents won't allow it :frown:
No legitimate reason why (I think they don't want me out the house much, even though I'm currently at uni far away) but I feel my CV is seriously lacking because of it.
I have volunteered before which is good but no real job at my age I think is bad, I feel embarrassed because people I know my age and younger have/had many jobs.
Any advice?
Do they give you money? Honestly, I would enjoy it while it lasts.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I get £50 a month, and never ask for money inbetween so really I don't have that much currently at all to do stuff/buy things I want to as I could make way more than that working for a week.
Also I really want real experience
You're 19, your parents need to get a grip.

Nothing stopping you from getting a job so go get one if you feel the need to.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm 19, going to be 20 in two months and i've never had paid work. Mainly because my parents won't allow it :frown:
No legitimate reason why (I think they don't want me out the house much, even though I'm currently at uni far away) but I feel my CV is seriously lacking because of it.
I have volunteered before which is good but no real job at my age I think is bad, I feel embarrassed because people I know my age and younger have/had many jobs.
Any advice?

Get a job near university and dont tell them.

What reason have they given you?
Reply 5
Original post by Jack22031994
Get a job near university and dont tell them.

What reason have they given you?

This is why I'm confused because they wouldn't care if it was at uni but they do when I'm at home.
I don't really have the time to have a job during uni time, my course is very 9-5, 5 days a week so I just want a summer job.
They haven't given any real reason at all they're just iffy about it.
This is why I'm confused because they wouldn't care if it was at uni but they do when I'm at home.
I don't really have the time to have a job during uni time, my course is very 9-5, 5 days a week so I just want a summer job.
They haven't given any real reason at all they're just iffy about it.

Thats strange :confused:

Can you stay at uni over the summer? or maybe a do a working holiday abroad?
Any advice?

maybe they think that you having to work to earn your own money means that they're not being good parents and that they're not giving you enough money idk...?
Any advice?

Legally, they can't prevent you from getting a job. But they don't have to provide for you either.

Tell them that it's important experience and essential to your future.
Reply 9
Any advice?

What is uour gender? If F I understand competely

Posted from TSR Mobile
Your parents cant stop. Stand up to them and do whatever you like
kinda wish my parents were like urs tbh. but it's always good to get some work experience so you should try and find a job. I think you should get one near uni and not go back home. However your parents might do something crazy like not let you come back home if u need to or not talking to you? this could be a tricky situation so maybe talk to them about it first
Reply 12
Jobs the young poor (or otherwise iactati) have are totally useless on a cv for a good graduate position. Do something related to your university course or future professional area of choice, it doesn't need it be paid. Can be an extra curricular, a related project, attending related events held by employers in the field, or an internship of sorts. Working as a waiter won't help you and your parents are right to advise you against it.
get one anyway you are 19 ffs not a baby
This blows my mind. What parents wouldn't want their child to gain experience and start earning their own money?
Any advice?

Hi @Anonymous :smile:

It may be a good idea to speak with your parents and explain that you are thinking of a temporary, summer role to give you a cash boost for your own needs, as you don't always want to financially rely on them - your parents. Mention you will not be working during your course, as you want to fully commit to Uni, but short-term role will not only give you the opportunity to learn new skills, but will also improve your CV. Try to be calm and listen to what they say as well, but don't give up easily if they say 'no'.

I hope this helps and I will keep my fingers crossed for you :smile: Klaudia

Quick Reply