The Student Room Group

Medicine is out.I've finally found the right course.

After months and months of self evaluation, I've come to the conclusion that Medicine is definitely not for me. It's my teachers' dream, not mine. Honestly, It's an African belief that smart students do Medicine or Engineering. nothing else. After months of researching I found the right course for a potential scientist like me. NATURAL SCIENCES (MSci). Currently doing A2 and my predicted results are A*A*AA. Which universities would you recommend for me to do the course?
Original post by Tlameloisstrange
After months and months of self evaluation, I've come to the conclusion that Medicine is definitely not for me. It's my teachers' dream, not mine. Honestly, It's an African belief that smart students do Medicine or Engineering. nothing else. After months of researching I found the right course for a potential scientist like me. NATURAL SCIENCES (MSci). Currently doing A2 and my predicted results are A*A*AA. Which universities would you recommend for me to do the course?

Hey, your self-evaluation shows great maturity. Have you thought about applying to Oxbridge or UCL+Imperial, your predicted grades are what they're looking for!
(edited 6 years ago)

That's also what south Asians believe. Parents pressurize their kids to become doctors and engineers.

With those grades you could go for Cambridge imo. UCL also offers that course if you wanna stay in London.

Thats great! I honestly believe that people who have a passion for their discipline, job or whatever, will certainly be more successful than someone who's just in it for the money.

I suggest looking at Imperial college London, Manchester University, Durham and Oxbridge.
I've always wanted to go for Cambridge but I've heard that it's hard to get in when you're an international student. I'll try. It's better to try it than not doing it. Maybe the odds will be in my favour.
Original post by queenofswords
That's also what south Asians believe. Parents pressurize their kids to become doctors and engineers.

With those grades you could go for Cambridge imo. UCL also offers that course if you wanna stay in London.

Thank you. I'll try Cambridge. It's highly competitive especially for international students but maybe the odds will be in my favour.
Original post by BTAnonymous
Thats great! I honestly believe that people who have a passion for their discipline, job or whatever, will certainly be more successful than someone who's just in it for the money.

I suggest looking at Imperial college London, Manchester University, Durham and Oxbridge.

Great suggestions. I guess I'll have to do more research. I hope it will be worth it in the end
Great suggestions. I guess I'll have to do more research. I hope it will be worth it in the end

It will, trust me :smile:

I was in your situation not that long ago actually, I was struggling to decide between Medicine and Physics. Parents wanted me to do Medicine, friends were all doing Physics, I ended up doing BME for me instead.

So congratulations on realising you've got to apply for the course you really want! As for universities themselves, your grades would get you as high as Oxbridge if you so chose. Given you have 5 choices I would say use "Instant Street View" to look at the area around each university you like the look of, and don't be afraid to go for the high ones. Just make sure you pick a couple of lower-grade ones too in case something happens.

Best of luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending