The Student Room Group

Urgent relationship advice help!!!

I need to get it off my chest like i just came back from a date with my bf and im feeling so fed up with him. He's a very jokey character and he always tells me that is he says something mean he's joking. But like today he just rips into me and takes the mick out of me. Like my old photos saying your face looks strange, whats with your hair in this pic. And it gets just old like im not a mate, im not here to be roasted 24/7. I know he's joking but its still annoying and insulting he is so oblivious that its over the top. Like at the point where he's saying more mean stuff to me today than nice stuff its just too much.

Also another thing thats annoying when we go out on a date he's always on his phone checking social medja. Makes me feel like im not important and he'd rather do anything else than talk to me when we're sitting there

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I need to get it off my chest like i just came back from a date with my bf and im feeling so fed up with him. He's a very jokey character and he always tells me that is he says something mean he's joking. But like today he just rips into me and takes the mick out of me. Like my old photos saying your face looks strange, whats with your hair in this pic. And it gets just old like im not a mate, im not here to be roasted 24/7. I know he's joking but its still annoying and insulting he is so oblivious that its over the top. Like at the point where he's saying more mean stuff to me today than nice stuff its just too much.

Also another thing thats annoying when we go out on a date he's always on his phone checking social medja. Makes me feel like im not important and he'd rather do anything else than talk to me when we're sitting there

Instead of bringing it up here it might be a good idea to ask him to stop and sort your situation out like adults

Lool, dump the prick, show him ur too good for him. Also, don't be afraid of posting out of anonymous, no one would think less of u :smile:
Reply 3
Just talk...

Tell him exactly how that makes you feel. If he really likes you, he'll try to improve. If he doesn't, then what's the point of being in a relationship with him if you're not happy in it?
Original post by Ryanthom100
Lool, dump the prick, show him ur too good for him. Also, don't be afraid of posting out of anonymous, no one would think less of u :smile:

This.
Reply 5
Original post by Xopher_
Instead of bringing it up here it might be a good idea to ask him to stop and sort your situation out like adults

I just felt like bringing it up on here because i wanted to know what other people outside the relationship thought. I get worried about bringing it up with him tbh
Reply 6
Original post by Ryanthom100

Aha thanks. Yessss i just need someone to tell me im too good😂👍also thanks i know for some crazy reason i just dont want him to stumble across it
Reply 7
Original post by Devify
Just talk...

Tell him exactly how that makes you feel. If he really likes you, he'll try to improve. If he doesn't, then what's the point of being in a relationship with him if you're not happy in it?

Thanks. How do i talk about it without making him go on the defensive side
about the always being on his phone thing, you can take him up on that, just literally say 'get off your phone, it's rude' because it is. in terms of the insults, that's unfortunate and you should tell him if it's really getting to you, however ultimately; it's his humour. you can't change his personality and perhaps you should rethink your compatibility if you speak to him and still see no change.
Tell him how you feel about the jokes and the use of his phone while on dates. After that if still does it I think it's time end the relationship.
Reply 10
I don't think you should dump him now, however you should voice your concerns to him. Tell him you don't like the roasting or him checking his phone while on dates and if he can't handle that, then you dump him.
Original post by whoknowsreally
about the always being on his phone thing, you can take him up on that, just literally say 'get off your phone, it's rude' because it is. in terms of the insults, that's unfortunate and you should tell him if it's really getting to you, however ultimately; it's his humour. you can't change his personality and perhaps you should rethink your compatibility if you speak to him and still see no change.

Thats true. Thats maybe why im reluctant to tell him because thats just who he is. I dont want him to completely change just for me. I just think that like yeah he's a jokey person because thats just his friendship group but when it comes to me it should be serious right, well not totally but more serious. Do you think he's inadvertently treating me as a mate? Because you know what guys are like they rip into each other no harm done
Time to have a talk with your bf if you haven't already. Tell him everything you said right here. There needs to be a balance. He should feel like he can, in good nature, tease with you but he can't (and shouldn't be) every time your together and it should never be the dominant way of speaking to you or about you!!
You need to let him know that it hurts you and whereas you like laughing at a joke and don't mind occasional teasing he has crossed the line to where you don't feel valued. You need to also tell him that you don't feel he cares one way or the other that you're with him as he's constantly checking social media. If you don't have a real, serious, conversation with him then you are going to grow to resent him and the whole relationship could possibly explode! As your boyfriend he needs to first and foremost show love, affection, tenderness, respect etc. for you...... teasing should come waaaaay down the list. You need to also consider what you're willing to put up with if he's not willing to change.
He's a very jokey character and he always tells me that is he says something mean he's joking.

Errm, isn't this something that boys do to their crush when they are like 7?
Original post by Burnheal131
Errm, isn't this something that boys do to their crush when they are like 7?

Thats what i was thinking!! Like this is such 10 year old stuff so immature right?!
I just felt like bringing it up on here because i wanted to know what other people outside the relationship thought. I get worried about bringing it up with him tbh

The best thing to do is to tell him otherwise you're gonna feel like this all the time. You should be able to tell him anything anyway hes your boyfriend after all. He should be understanding about it

What did you eat on the date?
Original post by apeshit007
What did you eat on the date?

Hahaha how come??😂
Hahaha how come??😂

In this situation I feel what you ate on the date is very VERY important
Original post by apeshit007
In this situation I feel what you ate on the date is very VERY important

Aha we went for like pasta and food like that? What does that mean that we went for pasta then?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending