The Student Room Group

What would you think of a guy if he was a college drop out?

I'm asking because there is a strong possibility I will be one, for no reason other than a lack of interest both in my chosen degree and in the whole educational system.

(I don't know how to say this without sounding either a ; tw*t, pretentious tw*t, d*ickhead or anything of a similar description..) I am pretty smart, that's one of my defining features that people comment on, be it friends, strangers, men or women, people say I am probably the most intelligent person they know.

I want to achieve, I want to be rich, I intend on being rich. I want to be an entrepreneur, I want to build as many successful businesses as I can.

I also sing, play guitar and write songs, I post covers online that have made me weirdly famous around my town, (just stupid **** like girls wanting pictures on nights out etc)..

I don't really switch off, I'm either learning something on the guitar, messing around with lyrics, learning to trade stocks, design and create jewellery, learning about the law around owning a business, SEO, web design and development, app development, learning about mens fashion, style, making money selling designer clothes online etc.

I've always been nervous that if I was to not go to college, or I was to drop out that people would look down on me because of it, sure Bill Gates did it, so did Zuckerberg but I am not them, I have not done what they have done as of yet. I would just be the smart lad who dropped out of college.

But, what would you think?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
college isn't for everyone
You can be successful without it
I wouldn't think anything bad of you at all

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ngl but this sort of what do you think of threads are starting to make me physically sick.

If he dropped out because he's own interested in something else and wants to maybe have time to think about his life choices then no I wouldnt mind. He's got to be ambitious though
Reply 3
Original post by Emerald7770
Ngl but this sort of what do you think of threads are starting to make me physically sick.

If he dropped out because he's own interested in something else and wants to maybe have time to think about his life choices then no I wouldnt mind. He's got to be ambitious though

Yeah, ambition seems to be the main thing, my parents, mother in particular always say 'oh well I won't have you lying around here when college starts back and you have no where to go to', or something to the effect of, well if you're not in college what else will you do, you'll just stay here and do nothing all day.

There's a lot of threads about thoughts on white girls, indian girls, do white girls like Nigerian guys etc..
Original post by Anonymous
Yeah, ambition seems to be the main thing, my parents, mother in particular always say 'oh well I won't have you lying around here when college starts back and you have no where to go to', or something to the effect of, well if you're not in college what else will you do, you'll just stay here and do nothing all day.

There's a lot of threads about thoughts on white girls, indian girls, do white girls like Nigerian guys etc..

Just do whatever makes you happy.
Subjective, I wouldn't be especially attracted to someone who didn't have ambition or was unsure about what they wanted to do. I don't know if it's because I have a lot of ambition myself, or purely down to wanting a driven and powerful partner.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Durhamgirl96
Subjective, I wouldn't be especially attracted to someone who didn't have ambition or was unsure about what they wanted to do. I don't know if it's because I have a lot of ambition myself, or purely down to wanting a driven and powerful partner.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I get where you're coming from, most people assume a college drop is either lazy with no ambitions or is completely unsure of what they want to do, or is dropping out to start the new Facebook.

I'm neither, I know I want to run my own business, I want to be an investor too, I want to start companies from the ground up, my own creations but I also want to make money investing in companies I believe in.
I get told more often than you'd expect that I am weird, or different, or interesting or something be it sugar coated or someone just stating the obvious.

I have no intention of working a 9-5, I have no intention of living the whole invest and retire at the age of 70 with a decent pension. I don't want to fill a part of someone else plan, I don't want to line someone else pockets.

I also do not think college is for me. I take in the information given and see where/how it would be applicable in the business world, how it can be used to innovate and create basically I filter the information from my course into stuff I need to know for exams and stuff I need to know for myself and the future, sadly a lot falls into the first category, which I don't prioritise because I came to college to learn to create, not just to (But included) pass exams and get a job at the end of it.

So I have ambitions, probably more than what would be healthy..
My friend is 19 and he is making 7k a month, he has 40 people working for him, I don't think he has got any qualifications, I am 90% sure he didn't even get 5 a-cs in his gcses.
(edited 6 years ago)
its not really about whether you attend college its about whether you can act on your ambitions and prove to both yourself and partner you're capable.
Reply 9
Original post by .-.-.-.-.
My friend is 19 and he is making 7k a month, he has 40 people working for him, I don't think he has got any qualifications, I am 90% sure he didn't even get 5 a-cs in his gcses.

What sort of business does he run?

The richest person I know runs a hardware store.
What sort of business does he run?

The richest person I know runs a hardware store.

He does that selling dream-box service thing, its basically a service that allows you to get access to all TV channels for cheap. I am pretty sure its illegal, so kinda sucks.

If you are asian you probz know what I am on about.
Original post by .-.-.-.-.
He does that selling dream-box service thing, its basically a service that allows you to get access to all TV channels for cheap. I am pretty sure its illegal, so kinda sucks.

If you are asian you probz know what I am on about.

We had them in Ireland, they've got no channels any more, they are being shut down actually..
We had them in Ireland, they've got no channels any more, they are being shut down actually..

Good
Personally I don't think dropping out of college alone is enough to judge anybody on. I know plenty of graduates who appear less driven that other's who never even attended college. People will generally judge you on your current situation. So if right now all you have going for you is 'unemployed college drop out', potential partners may not be flocking to you. But if, later on down the line, you've made something of yourself, no one is going to care whether or not you graduated college.
Nah, get your degree then use a well paying job to fund your interests imo. There could be a point where you become demotivated because your abilities can exceed the resources available and this could possibly be demotivating and frustrating. Plus the multicultural connections you make can make travelling cheaper and more enjoyable possibly? There's a great quote by Roger Penrose that says "to get what you want.. you need brains, money and balls." But if you do drop out, you'll have experience and that can also be just as invaluable.
Original post by Bysteven
Nah, get your degree then use a well paying job to fund your interests imo. There could be a point where you become demotivated because your abilities can exceed the resources available and this could possibly be demotivating and frustrating. Plus the multicultural connections you make can make travelling cheaper and more enjoyable possibly? There's a great quote by Roger Penrose that says "to get what you want.. you need brains, money and balls." But if you do drop out, you'll have experience and that can also be just as invaluable.

That's the philosophy that I have been thought, get a good job that pays well so you can enjoy your other interests.

I can't say I've subscribed to that idea, it's never sat well with me.

I am someone who is naturally always on, I wind down by watching a documentary on the stock market, or I learn about SEO. I have so many interests and so many things I want to pursue that I would rather build my life/living around those and work hard at that than work for someone else because as I am when it comes to college, I will undoubted be absentminded and uninterested, unless I was in a position of power (which is highly unlikely given my current position and the notion that I don't want to wait until I am in my senior years) than I will just spend my day wanting to go home.

I want to create, not just contribute. The only real time I could see myself as an employee would be in a start up, a start up I helped create, where I had an input, where I something to gain (stock options) and where I am doing what I would be doing had I gone out on my own.

I have friends who want to get a job they like so they can go home after it and be with their family and have a stable life. I could not see myself in that position, I could not work just to wish to come home.
A lot of entrepreneurs I've talked to say that it does not even feel like work, sure there are parts they don't like and bad days but all in all they love what they do, what they build, and they want to get up in the morning and improve on the day before.
I want that.
Not a 9-5.
That's the philosophy that I have been thought, get a good job that pays well so you can enjoy your other interests.

I can't say I've subscribed to that idea, it's never sat well with me.

I am someone who is naturally always on, I wind down by watching a documentary on the stock market, or I learn about SEO. I have so many interests and so many things I want to pursue that I would rather build my life/living around those and work hard at that than work for someone else because as I am when it comes to college, I will undoubted be absentminded and uninterested, unless I was in a position of power (which is highly unlikely given my current position and the notion that I don't want to wait until I am in my senior years) than I will just spend my day wanting to go home.

I want to create, not just contribute. The only real time I could see myself as an employee would be in a start up, a start up I helped create, where I had an input, where I something to gain (stock options) and where I am doing what I would be doing had I gone out on my own.

I have friends who want to get a job they like so they can go home after it and be with their family and have a stable life. I could not see myself in that position, I could not work just to wish to come home.
A lot of entrepreneurs I've talked to say that it does not even feel like work, sure there are parts they don't like and bad days but all in all they love what they do, what they build, and they want to get up in the morning and improve on the day before.
I want that.
Not a 9-5.

I was interested in business, took a few years out gained some experience and because I took that time out. I'm now doing AstroPhys and I love it. I'm not in it for monetary creation more, productive understanding and creation that then allows other the chance to create also. My strong mathematical background means that if I ever did lose my passion, which is unlikely in an ever expanding universe and thus.. field of understanding, I can always do IB, make some money and "chill it in the bahamas poppin' bottles". I doubt it but it's always handy to have a backup plan.
I get where you're coming from, most people assume a college drop is either lazy with no ambitions or is completely unsure of what they want to do, or is dropping out to start the new Facebook.

I'm neither, I know I want to run my own business, I want to be an investor too, I want to start companies from the ground up, my own creations but I also want to make money investing in companies I believe in.
I get told more often than you'd expect that I am weird, or different, or interesting or something be it sugar coated or someone just stating the obvious.

I have no intention of working a 9-5, I have no intention of living the whole invest and retire at the age of 70 with a decent pension. I don't want to fill a part of someone else plan, I don't want to line someone else pockets.

I also do not think college is for me. I take in the information given and see where/how it would be applicable in the business world, how it can be used to innovate and create basically I filter the information from my course into stuff I need to know for exams and stuff I need to know for myself and the future, sadly a lot falls into the first category, which I don't prioritise because I came to college to learn to create, not just to (But included) pass exams and get a job at the end of it.

So I have ambitions, probably more than what would be healthy..

I understand that and I don't believe that all humans must follow the same path to success or work towards the same definition of it. Honestly? My definition of success has no real weight here, what makes me happy will not make you happy and you should pursue something that you have the ambition and drive to achieve.

I say go for it, because a 9-5 is my worst nightmare. I'm getting into media and journalism at degree level, as to avoid the monotonous 9-5 grind.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Economics is a subject that requires foresight and analysis. You strike me as abit of a jack-of-all-trades which is a great skill to have. But if you were really going to invest in stocks or yourself you'd have a decent plan before you leave uni, reflecting on your high analytical talent.

If you don't and you're going in blind, just consider the opportunity cost of your experience.

Durhamgirl96, have you ever had a 9-5 job? Because it seems like you've got a very narrow field of view with regards to the job demographic. 9-5 doesn't mean desk job so don't worry yourself silly, there's no need. My friends have 9-5 jobs in media and they type their articles on beaches in Sardinia while meeting clients. Does that sound bad to you?
Quitting is always the best thing to do

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending