The Student Room Group

Data protection at uni

??
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Pixie1109
This is my first time posting here so I'm not really sure how it works! Also I apologise that this is a long post!!

I have a query about data protection at university and I'm just wondering if anyone can set my mind at rest really!

I don't have a great relationship with my mum and for personal reasons I don't want her to have access to information about what I'm doing at uni.

I recently found out that someone my mum is good friends with works in the student services department at my university. My question really is
a) will she have access to my personal information? (I have never had a meeting with her or spoken to her about anything regarding university, as far as I'm aware the only information that she has is that I go there - but will she be able to look me up on 'the system' using just my name?)

b) If she can access it, I assume that she can't legally share any of the information with my mum without my consent? And if she was to do so without my consent presumably there would be consequences?

Thanks so much if you read my whole question and thanks in advance if you respond! I know I'm probably overthinking it but I really appreciate anyone taking the time to set my mind at ease about this!

Your information is confidential and a member of staff should not be discussing it with anyone. If they did it could be a disciplinary offence.
Original post by Doonesbury
Your information is confidential and a member of staff should not be discussing it with anyone. If they did it could be a disciplinary offence.

It is potentially a criminal offence too, and the university would be liable. Under GDPR it could result in heavy fines if the ICO get wind of it.

Schedule a meeting with student services or your student union to let your concerns be known.
Reply 3
Original post by jestersnow
It is potentially a criminal offence too, and the university would be liable. Under GDPR it could result in heavy fines if the ICO get wind of it.

Schedule a meeting with student services or your student union to let your concerns be known.

I'm not the OP :wink:
Reply 4
Thanks so much for your responses! Nothing has happened as yet and I am reluctant to mention it in case I get this person in trouble unnecessarily - I was more looking for for reassurance that the consequences wouldn't be worth her sharing the information in the first place which it sounds like is definitely the case 😊😊

Original post by jestersnow

I'm not the OP :wink:

Not with that attitude your not! Lol jk Sorry for the mix up
Reply 6
A sort of part 2 to this question!! Once I leave the university does anybody know will she still be legally required to keep my information confidential?

I'm still not totally sure that she even has access to it, would she be able to look me up just using my name??

Thanks so much and apologies for what is most likely a huge worry over nothing!
Reply 7
A sort of part 2 to this question!! Once I leave the university does anybody know will she still be legally required to keep my information confidential?

I'm still not totally sure that she even has access to it, would she be able to look me up just using my name??

Yes.

And probably.

Under the new GDPR laws coming in to place next year, you will have the right to be forgotten. You can technically do this now but the new laws will be even more strict. So the university, if you put your request in to them, would likely have to get rid of most of your non-academic data. This could include things like contact details.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending