The Student Room Group

Dentistry possibly in Clearing for 2017 entry?

Hi guys,

I'm really regretting having sent off my UCAS application as I now want to do Dentistry. I don't do science subjects but I'm looking into possibly a foundation year or clearing to allow me to study?

If anyone could help that would be great, thank you.

Scroll to see replies

what did u send off
Reply 2
no way. even if it does (it never has) your PS isnt dent so you wont get it, plus you probably havent done the UKCAT/bmat, reapply next year
Reply 3
Original post by rgfchjb,n
no way. even if it does (it never has) your PS isnt dent so you wont get it, plus you probably havent done the UKCAT/bmat, reapply next year

Thanks for the heads up, I've spoken to someone who said their classmate got in through clearing but I did think it was too good to be true. Do you know if theres any Master's options for becoming a dentist?
Reply 4
Original post by unillama
what did u send off

bloody Psychology
Original post by ShanBella
Thanks for the heads up, I've spoken to someone who said their classmate got in through clearing but I did think it was too good to be true. Do you know if theres any Master's options for becoming a dentist?

of course there is depending on what it is u want to do in dentistry
Reply 6

Hey, I think you need sciences for doing dent- the only other route that you may have a good chance of getting in is doing a degree and then going in at graduate level/ to America at graduate level tbh... I would reapply after getting my a levels in science to stand the best chance tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sheffield did go into clearing for 2016 but still unlikely
Original post by rgfchjb,n

well actually this isnt true at all.
Manchester, sheffield, newcastle and plymouth have all been in clearing.
Plymouth was in clearing this year in fact and i know someone who got that place this year, he originally applied for med and just had to go do an interview

and in fact its more likely that dentistry will be in clearing in 2017 bc the a levels have changed to a new spec and you guys have to sit ur exams at the end of year 13 so fewer people will achieve AAA so places wont be filled
their old ways of predicting how many people will meet offers will not be as accurate this year due to the changes
and if they dont fill places - they lose out on funding from the gov't and so are forced to go into clearing

but in this persons situation - if you dont have the subjects then i highly doubt it bc there will be a load of gap years who have the right grades, subjects, applications who will be given priority
Reply 9
Original post by Randomer98
well actually this isnt true at all.
Manchester, sheffield, newcastle and plymouth have all been in clearing.
Plymouth was in clearing this year in fact and i know someone who got that place this year, he originally applied for med and just had to go do an interview

and in fact its more likely that dentistry will be in clearing in 2017 bc the a levels have changed to a new spec and you guys have to sit ur exams at the end of year 13 so fewer people will achieve AAA so places wont be filled
their old ways of predicting how many people will meet offers will not be as accurate this year due to the changes
and if they dont fill places - they lose out on funding from the gov't and so are forced to go into clearing

but in this persons situation - if you dont have the subjects then i highly doubt it bc there will be a load of gap years who have the right grades, subjects, applications who will be given priority

yeah that's definitely understandable. thank you for your reply! looks like i'll be sticking to psychology lol
Reply 10
Can you get into dentistry through clearing if your predicted grades are not what is required but you pass your ukcat and at the end of year 13 you get 3 A's in the right subjects.
Original post by QMM
Can you get into dentistry through clearing if your predicted grades are not what is required but you pass your ukcat and at the end of year 13 you get 3 A's in the right subjects.

Dentistry positions don't usually open up in clearing

However, I had a high UKCAT, ABB predicted grades and failed my interview for KCL, with no backup degree. I was called on the day of clearing and offered a place.

I'd say getting through is unlikely if you already have a backup option, and/or you haven't actually applied to dentistry yet.
Hi I do dentistry at Sheffield uni and about 15-20 of my coursemates got in via clearing in 2016, me included! So call Sheffield on results day! One person wasn't even registered on ucas but rang on results day, got an interview and quickly wrote a personal statement within an hour and sent it off to them!!!!!!!!! SO RING SHEFFIELD ON RESULTS DAY!!!!
What did he say to them when he rang. Did he ring because he got better A levels than expected?
What grades did you get in the end?
Reply 15
Hi guys,

I'm really regretting having sent off my UCAS application as I now want to do Dentistry. I don't do science subjects but I'm looking into possibly a foundation year or clearing to allow me to study?

If anyone could help that would be great, thank you.

Have you ever considered Studying Dentistry abroad, somewhere like Bulgaria? The course is recognized by the GMC which means you don't have to take any exams when you come back to the UK in order to practice! I'm sure if you pass the entrance test with high enough grades they will take that into consideration in regards to not having science A levels.
Anyone manage to get a place via clearing this year?
Original post by Mermaid 96
Anyone manage to get a place via clearing this year?

Hi Mermaid 96,

If you are looking for a place via clearing maybe have you application assessed via Twitter @CovCampus, Facebook or on our Clearing Hotline at: 024 76 791 791.

If you'd like to find out more about Coventry, you might want to take a look at this blog post. If you've got any questions, feel free to get in touch!

Best wishes,
Sim
Reply 18
how high of a score would you say is a high ukcat? and how did you get an interview with kings if your predicted grades weren't high enough, because i was told that if you don't get the right grades, then they wont even look at your application.
Reply 19
Original post by Another

However, I had a high UKCAT, ABB predicted grades and failed my interview for KCL, with no backup degree. I was called on the day of clearing and offered a place.

I'd say getting through is unlikely if you already have a backup option, and/or you haven't actually applied to dentistry yet.

how high of a score would you say is a high ukcat? and how did you get an interview with kings if your predicted grades weren't high enough, because i was told that if you don't get the right grades, then they wont even look at your application.

Original post by Another

Quick Reply