The Student Room Group

General advice on renting privately and letting agents.

Background information: I've just graduated and is looking for a place to rent when my student hall contract expires in late August. My price range is maximum 350 per week (not including utilities/council tax) and is hoping to stay within Zone 1.

I've been looking around for almost a week now and still has no luck finding a place that I like. I've found a few places that seemed decent, but whenever I call up they tell me that it has already been let. I also have had trouble arranging viewings, where the letting agent would take down my details and tell me that they will arrange a viewing with the tenant and get back to me, but does not call back at all.

I've only had one viewing session so far on two properties, but they were no good. The letting agent was trying so hard to persuade me into signing a 2-3 years lease on a moldy Victorian 1 bed apartment. She gave me the good old "I know the landlord so I can get it from 350 to 300 a week". Then she also took me to see an overpriced studio apartment going for 360 per week all the way in Shadewell as a "comparison" even though I said I wanted to be near Aldgate East.

So do you guys have any advice on renting privately as well as what other letting agent tricks should I look out for? Honestly, I feel like they are charging too much "admin fee" for doing **** all.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Burnheal131
Background information: I've just graduated and is looking for a place to rent when my student hall contract expires in late August. My price range is maximum 350 per week (not including utilities/council tax) and is hoping to stay within Zone 1.

I've been looking around for almost a week now and still has no luck finding a place that I like. I've found a few places that seemed decent, but whenever I call up they tell me that it has already been let. I also have had trouble arranging viewings, where the letting agent would take down my details and tell me that they will arrange a viewing with the tenant and get back to me, but does not call back at all.

I've only had one viewing session so far on two properties, but they were no good. The letting agent was trying so hard to persuade me into signing a 2-3 years lease on a moldy Victorian 1 bed apartment. She gave me the good old "I know the landlord so I can get it from 350 to 300 a week". Then she also took me to see an overpriced studio apartment going for 360 per week all the way in Shadewell as a "comparison" even though I said I wanted to be near Aldgate East.

So do you guys have any advice on renting privately as well as what other letting agent tricks should I look out for? Honestly, I feel like they are charging too much "admin fee" for doing **** all.

Letting agents are lower than a snakes belly - I can give you a couple of stories about a certain one in Camden Town....

The trouble is you are looking at a time when there are a lot of people also looking - graduates and the new uni terms starting.

Have a look on spare room.com. I am a landlord and I get all my tenants from there - I would offer you a room in my flat but I think you want to live on your own and anyway I am in zone 2
Reply 2
Original post by squeakysquirrel
The trouble is you are looking at a time when there are a lot of people also looking - graduates and the new uni terms starting.

Have a look on spare room.com. I am a landlord and I get all my tenants from there - I would offer you a room in my flat but I think you want to live on your own and anyway I am in zone 2

I thought the new uni students only begins their desperate search late August/early September. So yeah, probably my mistake for leaving it that late.

You are right, tried sharing once, didn't like how the flatmates never cleaned and how there were pubes in the shower. Thanks for offering though! Just out of interest, how safe is renting through private landlords on spare room? I've looked around on that site before but all the listings written in broken English and the ******BARGAIN STUDIO FLAT MUST SEE************ really put me off. Looked quite dodgy to me tbh.
Original post by Burnheal131
I thought the new uni students only begins their desperate search late August/early September. So yeah, probably my mistake for leaving it that late.

You are right, tried sharing once, didn't like how the flatmates never cleaned and how there were pubes in the shower. Thanks for offering though! Just out of interest, how safe is renting through private landlords on spare room? I've looked around on that site before but all the listings written in broken English and the ******BARGAIN STUDIO FLAT MUST SEE************ really put me off. Looked quite dodgy to me tbh.

It is fine - make sure you have a proper drafted tenancy agreement and go through it with a fine tooth comb. Take photos of everything beforehand and check the inventory. Expect to pay fees and a month deposit as usual. Check what is included.

If you don't find somewhere let me know - I insist on a no pubes and everyone mucks in with the cleaning. All my tenants have to be respectful of one another ( old fashioned I know but it works) Even if it is for a short while _ i have a room going in a week or so ( temporary measure for you)

Also try widening your search. Transport is great in london so it is easy to travel.
Reply 4
Original post by squeakysquirrel
It is fine - make sure you have a proper drafted tenancy agreement and go through it with a fine tooth comb. Take photos of everything beforehand and check the inventory. Expect to pay fees and a month deposit as usual. Check what is included.

If you don't find somewhere let me know - I insist on a no pubes and everyone mucks in with the cleaning. All my tenants have to be respectful of one another ( old fashioned I know but it works) Even if it is for a short while _ i have a room going in a week or so ( temporary measure for you)

Also try widening your search. Transport is great in london so it is easy to travel.

Thanks for your help! Will let you know if I do need a room to stay :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending